Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
K
I can't get in touch with my friend who lives in san pedro & i am very worried about her family. Kendra, Clayton & Ethan Sikes. My sister lives in Belize City & said they have notheard any info on what s going on in san perdo....would love to hear from someone on the island or anybody with news...thank you!

S
S

Israel Leal / AP
A man sets window protection shutters a few hours before the arrival of Hurricane Richard in Corozal, Belize, Sunday, Oct. 24, 2010. ( AP Photo/Israel Leal)
By PATRICK E. JONES
The Associated Press
updated 1 minute ago 2010-10-25T01:38:16
Share Print Font: + - BELIZE CITY - Hurricane Richard slammed into Belize's Caribbean coast just south of its largest city late Sunday, as authorities evacuated tourists from outlying islands and an estimated 10,000 people took refuge at shelters in the tiny Central American nation.

The U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami said Richard's top winds were 90 mph (150 kph) - making it a Category 1 hurricane - when it made landfall about 20 miles (35 kms) south-southwest of Belize City, whose neighborhoods are full of wooden, tin-roof homes that are very vulnerable to winds.

"The winds are very strong ... it's getting stronger," said Fanny Llanos, a clerk at the Lazy Iguana bed and Breakfast on Caye Caulker, a low-lying island known for its coral reefs and crystal-clear waters, located just offshore from Belize City.

Llanos said that palm trees were bending over in the wind and it had become very noisy.

"All the windows are boarded, and this is a strong house so we will be here," she said, "but we are still afraid."

Richard was moving west-northwest at about 10 mph (17 kph), and hurricane-force winds extended up to 15 miles (30 kms) from its center.

Belize City was devastated by Hurricane Hattie in 1961, prompting officials to move the capital inland to Belmopan. But Belize City is still the nation's largest population center, with about 100,000 inhabitants - a third of the country's population.

Official estimated that about 10,000 people had taken refuge at storm shelters in schools and churches located farther inland, including many in the capital, Belmopan.

Tourists had already been evacuated from Caye Caulker and nearby Ambergris Caye, but some local residents decided to ride out the storm.

Rafael Marin, the caretaker at the Anchorage Resort hotel, said strong gusts of wind were already hitting the island and its normally calm waters were being whipped into 3-foot (1-meter) waves lapping at the island's docks.

"We already boarded up everything, and we already got everything - office equipment and everything - stored in a safe place," Marin said. "We got all the tourists out, and get the whole place secured down."

But like Marin planned to ride out the storm in the three-story hotel. He said he expected only some beach erosion and minor damage to homes, noting the island has been hit by more powerful storms in the past.

"The local people are advised to evacuate on their own, voluntarily," Marin said. "It's not really major, like a Category 3" hurricane.

Officials warned people living in flimsy homes or low-lying areas to evacuate, and shelters at schools and other public buildings began filling up.

The National Emergency Management Organization also urged merchants not to raise prices for people who rushed to stores to stock up on basic necessities as the hurricane approached.

Earlier, Richard dumped heavy rains on Honduras' Caribbean coast and the Bay Islands, including Roatan, which is popular with tourists and divers.

Observers reported winds of up to 58 mph (93 kph) on Roatan, and more than 90 people took refuge in shelters in the Bay Islands, which lie between Honduras and Belize.

Lisandro Rosales, the head of Honduras' Permanent Emergency Commission, said no deaths or injuries had been reported in Honduras so far.

But Richard's heavy rains did cause a landslide that blocked a highway in northern Colon province, cutting off about 15,000 residents in 40 small towns. Crews were working to clear the road.

Mexico issued a hurricane watch for its southern Caribbean coast, and while Richard is expected to cross over the Yucatan peninsula and re-emerge in the Gulf of Mexico, forecasters said it is likely to weaken and dissipate over Gulf waters.

Authorities said dangerous floods and mudslides were still possible in Honduras and declared states of maximum alert in four coastal provinces.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights

E
E
Kami, they are fine, Clayton & Kendra are asleep, and Ethan is watching the TV with my daughter Morgan.

Its a bit windy at the Yacht Club, but its fine.

PM me witha message & I will pass it on. I am at there place at the moment...

Anybody heard when they will turn the water back on?

Reality..What a concept!
M
M
Any moment-- it was to be on at 8AM

D
D
Are there power outages in San Pedro, or north or south of town at all?

Finally going to make it out to the AC on Tuesday, God willing.

Hope everyone fared well.

DC

S
S
Water is back on.
Btl.net email is out...since last night

Originally Posted by Decompression
Are there power outages in San Pedro, or north or south of town at all?

Finally going to make it out to the AC on Tuesday, God willing.

Hope everyone fared well.

DC

Power seems fine in San Pedro. Enjoy your visit!

Can anyone tell me if Coastal Express is running on their regular schedule?

They started back with the 8:30 am run

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 271 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.