Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sally1 #389808 10/13/10 11:26 AM
P
P
It's almost always obvious for us as we're a house and they ask for single rooms and it's for a business trip or conference. They're very rarely well written and the context is always the same. Once you receive a few they're easily spotted. The biggest give away is the To email addresses. If my email address isn't in the To box I junk it. They send them to mass addresses and always send them in a blind group so you can't click the Group name and see the actual email address or if not a group name it will just be their email address.

PS It's not Phishing - just as a warning for the innocent. Thats where a fake web site, usually linked from a fake email, is made to look exactly the same as a legit site you use for eg your online Banking. Then when you log in it will fail but they then have your log in details and access to your account. Never click a link from an email to your Bank or any financial site, always go to it from your favourites or type in the address. Or if you do click links look at the web site address at the top of the screen to ensure you are at your banks site.

elbert #391084 10/26/10 10:23 AM
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
I got a good one this morning and am playing it out with him to see what the sting will be.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
elbert #391098 10/26/10 12:11 PM
Any secure internet connection - ie any page where you are accessing your bank accounts, or payment pages for on-line purchases start with https://

Please note the "s"

At least that is what I always look for.

Amanda Syme #391101 10/26/10 01:30 PM
S
SJC Offline
S
The scams are often called 419 scams in reference to the Nigerian penal code that covers this.

There are entire websites dedicated to messing with the perpetrators of this scam and my favorite is

http://www.419eater.com/

If you have plenty of time, read the forums as the stories are very funny

Also some have mentioned they plan to play along. There is a section with some hints here and please make sure you read the warning. Make sure you don't use your real address

http://www.419eater.com/html/baiting.htm

sjc

elbert #391106 10/26/10 02:25 PM
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 02:54 -0500, "Eng John Paradis"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello,
>> My name is Eng John Paradis I want to know if there is any availability
> for 10 students to come for Diving Courses (Open Walter courses ) .
>> If there is availability , kindly let me know about the dates,quotes
>> They are looking forward to arrival by 2nd week of December 2010,
>> Arrival date :10th of December to 20th of December.
>> The students are all beginner's that why the needed (dive Courses)
> Arrange a package for beginner's.
>> you can write me to my direct email
> ([email protected])
>> Mod of payment:visa ,master
>> Regards
> Eng John Paradis

John,
have them look at the blog below . ELearning is what the world is doing
about getting certified and they would have so much more fun and save
some money if they did it first.
What hotel are you staying at?
Elbert

Hello,
Thanks for your Response.Actually we want you to book them in any hotel near your company.4double rooms.10th of November is the date.Actually we need to book for (PADI Open Water Certification Course)for 7people in 4days we wanna spend our vacation with your company.Kindly arrange a nice package and get us the total cost for everything including tax..
The students are 7people(we split the group)
4 days including diving, theory and final test. The costs including all dives, own diving book and tables, rental equipment, theory lessons, final test and of course the Padi license.
Here are the name and ages of the students
Margie Jump : 27yrs
Ruonda page : 29yrs
Michelle Y Washington: 26yrs
Peggy L Keel: 27yrs
Rolando Atiga : 25yrs
John A Paradis: 28yrs
Deborah J. Hess : 28yrs
Get us the total cost for everything Including tax.
John
John,
The deluxe dive package with a double occupancy in 'Cabannas North' a very nice resort close by in the Quexalcote Reserve beach front.
Includes certification for open water , all included, arriving the 10th Nov. Depart 20th all taxes and transfers Total $1600. per person.
Your total bill for 7 people would be $11,200. usd.

Greetings ,
We acknowledge the receipt of your response. I wish to inform you that the group have approved your price quotation so Above all, the price quotation is well accepted by us and as such, we would want to make a prepayment with credit card so $6,200 will be Deposit with my credit card to enable you hold the dive course for us
Moreover,we also made an arrangement with a Language translator who will take care of transporting the group that will be coming with a flight and he will take charge of other logistics matters also like procurement of travel documents and accommodation,so for
confidentiality,I have decided that only you will have to handle my credit card information.
Summarily,I would send to you my Sponsor credit card information as soon as I hear back from you. Once you receive the credit card, this is exactly what you are required to do;
1. Charge a total of $16,200 from My account.
2... Deduct $6,200 been the Deposit cost of your services
3....Then you will send the balance of $10,000 to the Language translator whose.. information will be forwarded to you the balance will be paid to you on the day of arrival or anytime you need it once this arrangement is confirmed..
Finally,confirm this arrangement and provide me with your..
(1) Your company full name/address
(2) Name of the Manager/Owner
(3) company telephone and fax numbers
N.B: all charges from the card will be charged in my account.and the balance of $5,000 will be made on arrival or 1 week before arrival
Regards
Eng John

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
elbert #391108 10/26/10 02:35 PM
S
S
Heh heh...go for it Elbert!

SP Daily #391109 10/26/10 02:47 PM
oh rats ya got me, Elbert! wink

(just kidding, go for it!!!!)

elbert #391110 10/26/10 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by elbert
Here are the name and ages of the students
Margie Jump : 27yrs
Ruonda page : 29yrs
Michelle Y Washington: 26yrs
Peggy L Keel: 27yrs
Rolando Atiga : 25yrs
John A Paradis: 28yrs
Deborah J. Hess : 28yrs

Don't you just love the way he uses 7 "ladies" between the ages of 25 & 29 as a enticement!

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
well, 5 of them anyway........but who's counting?

Elbert - you should ask him (for his protection from international fraud smile ) to provide you a copy of the front and back of his card - scanned and emailed or faxed to you. I do that all the time. It's interesting the comments which come back (most quietly disappear bnck under the rocks).

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
elbert #391125 10/26/10 06:43 PM
M
M
This site is good too: http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/
I had to purchase a new keyboard after spilling a cup of coffee on my old one due to uncontrollable laughing.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.