It was recently determined by the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions that there is not sufficient evidence to charge Sergeant Paulino Reyes for fatally shooting Corporal Gavin Sanchez in March of this year. That’s a decision that has caused public outrage and one which Gavin’s widow, Tara-Lee plans to challenge in way she can. But aside from her legal challenges ahead, Tara-Lee has her hands full because she now has another member to the family after giving birth to a baby girl just hours before Hurricane Richard hit Belize. Andrea Faith Sanchez was born a month before her due date and spent a week in the hospital before it was safe to take her home. A single mother of three, Tara-Lee told us that during the hurricane she was worried about the safety of her family at home. She now worries about raising her children without their father.

Gavin Sanchez

Tara-Lee Sanchez, Widow, Cpl. Gavin Sanchez

“For me personally, I neva really scared or nothing because I mi deh inside ah di hospital. Inside ah di hospital yoh noh really hear nothing outside but then I mi concerned bout my children dehn home and everybody else home because yoh know we live inna wooden structure and I noh know how heavy di breeze mi di blow or how heavy di rain or nothing like that.”

Delahnie Bain

“Was everything secured here?”

Tara-Lee Sanchez

“Yes, everything was secured here.”

Delahnie Bain

“And everything went okay with the baby?”

Tara-Lee Sanchez

“Well, since she came kinda early she was premature and ih had wa lee problem wit ih blood count but I brought her home yesterday and everything is okay now.”

Delahnie Bain

“Now you have a newborn, you have your kids. It brings us back to the loss of your husband. What do you think when you think about raising all of them now without him?”

Tara-Lee Sanchez

Tara-Lee Sanchez

“Well, mein honestly ih very hard because like I said before he da wah person who does always deh round. With my first two babies, while I deh inna my bed di lay down di try get heal from my cut he deh right deh di everything fi di two weeks weh he get off ah work. Now even though I have my family and friends weh deh di help me and thing ih still hard because I mi expect he fi deh round. So ih really hard. Di hardest part I guess is still yet to come when my daughter—the newborn—get older and ask well who dah ih daddy and weh daddy deh yoh know.”

Channel 5