Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#39202 - 05/14/01 08:20 PM Banana Beach Feedback/Info needed??
Seaislegal Offline
Hi folks!

We are thinking of going to AC next April for around 7-9 days. I was looking at Banana Beach as it looks reasonable price-wise and also pretty nice. Any feedback on the accommodations and facilities? What oceanfront room is the best? What beach bars / restaurants.. ok mostly concerned with the beach bars... are nearby and recommended? How is the pool and beach? Can you bring out beers and hang by the pool? Any info appreciated !!

Thanks
Andrea

#39203 - 05/14/01 09:18 PM Re: Banana Beach Feedback/Info needed??
B_b_f_b Offline
I just came back from Banana Beach, best deal on the island. Mata Rocks next door is a hoot. If you see a black dog running down the beach named Wanker, that's my dog and please give him a piece of chicken. Go to El/La Margerita for dinner, great margeritas. Within walking distance. You will love it. Tell Tim (Manager there) I said hello and thanks again. People there are great and if you have an ocean front room you will be in heaven.

#39204 - 05/14/01 11:58 PM Re: Banana Beach Feedback/Info needed??
Axeman Offline
When i was in AC there was no restrictions on open containers..we rode around everynight with a beer in the cart...never a problem...as long as you don't get so plowed you crash it won't be an issue.

#39205 - 05/15/01 02:36 AM Re: Banana Beach Feedback/Info needed??
ChristyC Offline
You won't be disappointed with Banana Beach. I was in an Oceanfront room (#16) May 2-7. The view is magnificent and mesmerizing. You'll have to force yourself to move off the balcony!

Unfortunately, we had to move to an Ocean View room (#26)for our last night (May 8th).

The only downside to the hotel is (1) the air conditioning units are very loud and located in the sleeping area, and (2) the shower in the oceanfront room was very low pressure and the shower floor was peeling.

There is a small, local store across the street which comes in very handy for bottled water, Coca Cola, rum, ice, Belikins.

They've built up a nice beach/lounging area, since the real beach area is lined with seaweed/sea grass. The pool is located in the courtyard area of the hotel. This courtyard contains a magnificent display of tropical plants and flowers. Large potted arrangements around the pool, and on all levels on the hotel.

The Belikin bottles were present both around the pool and on the beach area. Beach towels are furnished.

Figure a 30 minute beach walk to get to Fido's and the Island Ferry.

You may want to schedule your own trips/excursions. If you ask the front desk to make any arrangements for you, there is a 5% charge added onto your room.

You'll have a fantastic time on the island. Wishing I could go back!

C.C.

#39206 - 05/17/01 01:49 PM Re: Banana Beach Feedback/Info needed??
brentwood3336 Offline
The bottom line for us,after a month and a half, was that neither of us was ready to return home. We never felt better in our whole life--it was in the winter and the warm sun, walking, food, relaxation, and most of all living accomodations were perfect. One thing we were concerned with (and which you cannot check on the internet is the matter of cleanliness) When we first landed and took a ride to Banana Beach, we were shocked by the tons of debri all around the place created by the hurricane that settled over the area for a couple of days. But as soon as we entered the lobby, we were in heaven--you could eat off the floors of the room and the beach front was very well groomed. About the beach bar, Mata Rocks, is the place--it is within "stumbling distance" from the motel. There is no objection to drinking pool side, but we poured our drinks into paper containers and went to the pool--broken glass and pools do not mix. Besides the small grocery store in the rear, there are also two large super markets down town--keep one thing in mind--this is an island and everything has to be imported--sticker shock is common for people purchasing for the first time. There are so many terrific places to eat--from cheap to ultra expensive. For very good inexpensive meals, try Woody's--can walk there. For a real tropical morning breakfast, go next door to Tropica.

Keep one thing in mind concerning Banana Beach--you are dealing with a management and staff that are dedicated to giving you your money's worth. You will absolutely love your life there.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,016 Topics
462,196 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.