Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#392071 - 11/06/10 02:11 PM belize
five Offline

im considering retiring in belize. but.. after doing all the touristy things what kinds of things do the retirees do. for me daytime tv is out, as a matter of fact, many programs are written on a 5th grade level. i cant stand it. i dont know how to play bridge. im not interested in starting a business. geez i sound negative, oops. help

#392072 - 11/06/10 02:24 PM Re: belize [Re: five]
collyk Offline
Hi five,

There are a ton of organisations in San Pedro and all over Belize that need volunteers, so you'll never have to worry about having nothing to do. In my experience many people who retire here fall into two camps. One - those that get involved in the community. They tend to have full lives and big smiles on their faces most of the time. Two - those that sit in bars. They tend to be rather unwell and unhappy.

Good luck with your retirement.
Belize Wedding Photography

#392156 - 11/07/10 01:08 PM Re: belize [Re: five]
ScubaLdy Offline
Collyk is absolutely right. You can do as much or as little as you want her. And that can change with the weather. LOL
There are many civic organizations here and depending on your interest you can meet up with like minded people.
How about telling us what you do for fun where you are now and we will be happy to point you towards those kinds of activities here.
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

#392173 - 11/07/10 06:00 PM Re: belize [Re: five]
GwenA Offline
Also, it isn't black or white, all or nothing. It's all about retirement. It isn't about where you retire. If you are ready to retire, that is the question. It's true those that volunteer are fulfilled. If you have spent your life working for others, it is about a balance of how much to do for you and how much to do for others. Your question is valid.
Ambergris Caye and what we do here isn't the question, Harriet is asking you the proper question. Cheers, and we will help if you like...

#392175 - 11/07/10 06:07 PM Re: belize [Re: five]
Timmy Offline
The drinkers and night creatures are more "fun". That old song "Down to Banana Republic, Down to the tropicaal sun....get it listen...it's all true, The Gooodman (writer) is a better version than Buffet. Also, ask yourself..if you are already in Paradise where do you go???

#392498 - 11/11/10 07:54 PM Re: belize [Re: five]
terilee Offline
Hello everyone..my husband and I are looking to semi retire in belize...we are not ready to sit and chill(well at least not all of the time anyway)I have been racking my brain to come up with a business idea. Not anything to serious, just something to do, and have some fun. Maybe something a little crafty like making candles, soaps, jewellery????? I am a realtor and would like to dabble a little in that as well.Volunteer work will take up some of our time also. Any ideas from locals would be greatly appreciated smile

#392512 - 11/11/10 08:48 PM Re: belize [Re: five]
GwenA Offline
Didn't you just post that above? First of all the kids, and moms of those kids make jewelry, and sell it in the beach, and drive people crazy. Candles melt here, locals make soap too. Have you been here yet?

#392529 - 11/12/10 12:37 AM Re: belize [Re: five]
ScubaLdy Offline
Gwen - Do I know you? Why are you so crabby? I've read a lot of your posts and your angst concerns me. I'm sorry the kids selling jewelry drive you crazy. I'd rather have them selling jewelry than drugs. All the kids know that I have a favorite and they never try to sell to me or anyone I am with. Word goes out to find Alex and send him my way. I adore him and very proud of what he is making of himself.

I have never been offered drugs here. I guess I just don't fit the profile. LOL

I have candles all over my place and haven't had one melt without being lit.

Where can I find locally made soap?

I love to hear from people who are looking for unique opportunities here. The most recent new one is The Butcher. I talked to the woman owner at length last week and she explained how they came here, spent some time looking around and found a niche that they felt they could fill.

It is interesting that they are German as is the new Baker on Front Street. I bought his bagel with cream cheese today and have to say I have never had a better tasting one in my whole life - including the ones made under Madison Square Gardens in New York City.

The I said to the buther lady, Now we have a buther a bake where's the candlestick maker? she looked at me funny. She had never heard the nursery rhyme. (Silly gringo me)

Remember a few years ago when the new sign company started up and how much better town looks now with these plastic signs?

I like that we don't want big box stores or fast food chains but there are lots of other things to be created. Recently, in one day, two sets of tourists asked me where could people who don't drink alcohol go to socialize. I didn't have an answer. I remember when the Lions Club used to have a chess night and Billy Leslie was teaching the school kids.

With so much jugle being chopped every day I wish some one would come in with a chipper and bag up mulch.

Take only pictures leave only bubbles

#392560 - 11/12/10 09:45 AM Re: belize [Re: five]
Phil Offline
The half of semi retirement that involves making money is the tough bit. The rest is cream................

#392687 - 11/13/10 02:33 PM Re: belize [Re: ScubaLdy]
BeBelize Offline
Very nice post, ScubaLady! Well said.
Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Shyboy), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,734 Topics
461,302 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.