Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
Marty Offline

The passing of Adrian Harris early this morning, ended a long battle with diabetes related ailments. Over the course of his career, Harris served in various capacities as a continuity announcer, program producer and even took the stage as in the case of Love FM, as the Santa Clause in the annual twelve days of Christmas program. His former supervisor at the now defunct Friends FM Cardinal Howell remembers Adrian Harris as a consummate professional.

Cardinal Howell; Former Supervisor

“Working with Adrian over the years, and that was a while back, I still have vivid memories of him. I found him to be an extremely dedicated individual and he had an excellent sense of humor reinforcements. I think that was the thing that made him well liked back then at BCB and I’m quite sure that was the case while he was working there at Love FM.”

And indeed he was. Love FM’s Terry Gordon with whom Harris has worked on various projects says he was a team player dedicated to anything he undertook.

Terry Gordon; Colleague

“He was indeed a team player. I was just commenting to some of the others that he was Love FM’s first Santa Clause for the twelve days of Christmas program. When it all began he was our first ho ho ho Santa Clause and he did a very good job at that. That’s one of the things I remember about him that fact that he was indeed a team player. He was a well rounded broadcaster, not just a disk jockey, but a broadcaster. He could do just a little bit of everything including the technical side if push came to shove. That’s what I can recall about my good friend Adrian.” 

Adrian Harris has been battling diabetes for a number of years and has been getting treatment both in Belize and abroad. Even though he was ill, Harris never let his ailment get in the way of his work on air or his interaction with his colleagues.

Cardinal Howell; Former Supervisor

“I can say that it has been good knowing him. I express my condolences to his wife and family with regards to his passing. I can assure you that he will be well missed by quite a number of people myself included. I wasn’t aware until I was informed of his passing this morning but all in all he was a good human being and a good person to know, a fun person to be around and I always enjoyed doing shows with him. I think we would have the same thing in common we just love to entertain people.”

Patrick Jones, Reporter

One of the things I remember as somebody that worked with him is that I never recalled Adrian being the kind of person to fly off the deep end and get upset and be shouting all over the place.

Terry Gordon; Colleague

“Not at all, you said it right Patrick always cool, calm and collected. You would never know really what was going on with Adrian being the private person that he was. That did not affect his performance at work at all. I could remember visiting him and on his sick bed and Adrian still trying to be game saying well terry I’m not sure if I’m going to be able to make it back. I told him Adrian where there is a will there is a way, it’s not about you coming back right now. If ever you’ll be able to come back it’s all about you winning this fight and taking it one step at a time. I can also remember him after being sick for so long coming back to work and the effort he made to come back to work showed dedication. That is certainly missing and sorely lacking now when you look around you. That shows dedication to the job. He was a broadcaster through and through a good friend that I am certainly going to miss.”

Harris’s death is being mourned far and wide in the media community. A dearly departed brother, colleague, friend and husband, Harris celebrated his 46th birthday in October. Gone too soon but will never be forgotten, play on!

#392879 - 11/16/10 09:18 AM Re: BROADCASTING INDUSTRY MOURNS ADRIAN HARRIS [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Veteran Broadcaster Adrian Harris Passes

And tonight with sadness we note the passing of veteran broadcaster Adrian Harris. The 46 year old died this morning after a long and taxing battle with diabetes.

Harris had been in broadcasting for over two decades and was a much loved radio personality and announcer - known for his easygoing style and engaging demeanor on air.

And while that's how he sounded - those of us in the media know that he was a consummate pro - from the old school of broadcasting - Adrian was always prepared, had an excellent memory and an easy way with words.

He worked at the BCB, fm 2000 and LOVE FM.

Channel 7

#393065 - 11/18/10 09:01 AM Re: BROADCASTING INDUSTRY MOURNS ADRIAN HARRIS [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Veteran radio broadcaster Adrian Harris, 46, dies of diabetes

Adrian Harris, 46, a radio broadcaster for radio stations in Belize City and Dangriga, died Monday morning around 5:00 at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital.
The cause of his death has been reported to Amandala as complications arising from diabetes, which Harris had suffered from for some time.
Harris got his start at the former Broadcasting Corporation of Belize (BCB) in 1991, working as a radio announcer on their “Friends FM” station, before transitioning over to Rene Villanueva’s LOVE FM, where he worked as an announcer and technician for most of his career – which covers the life of the station itself, from 1993 to his passing, apart from short stints at the former FM 2000 and Power Mix FM in Dangriga.
KREM Radio’s E.J. Hill, who was Harris’ best friend and is a fellow diabetic, told Amandala Monday afternoon that Harris had helped him get started in Belizean radio; they had worked together at Power Mix.
Hill told us that Adrian was personable but reserved: “…what you heard on the radio, saw on the television, that was his business side…he was not full of himself, but he had a personal side and few were allowed to see that side of him. I was lucky to be one of those few.
Another long-time friend and colleague, LOVE’s news director Ava Diaz-Sosa, told Amandala today that Adrian was best known for his professionalism and dedication to his work on and off the air.
Adrian represented an era of broadcasters that emphasized preparation and research before going on the air with any broadcast; he was ‘old school’…whether as a disc jockey, working continuously on the air, he put a lot of thought into his music and his personality was jovial. For me, he was more than a colleague; we have been friends for over 20 years…” Sosa said.
Tributes to Harris poured in today on the LOVE FM Morning Show and the station’s boss, Rene Villanueva, issued a personal remembrance of Adrian on last night’s Belize Watch, according to Sosa.
Harris is the third Belizean media personality to die in an untimely manner in 2010, preceded by Channel 7’s Keith Swift in April and Mike Nicholson, formerly of the BCB and FM 2000, in August.    
Harris is survived by family in Belize and the United States. He will be laid to rest following funeral services at the Wesley Methodist Church on Saturday, November 20, at 2:00 p.m.
Amandala extends condolences to his immediate family and to his extended family in the Belizean press corps.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (JaHo, 2 invisible), 53 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,632 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,705 Topics
461,223 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.