Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

It is a sight to behold, a sixty five year old crocodile that has become hugely popular. The crocodile is so friendly that it turned into a tourist attraction at the Lamanai Riverside Retreat in Orange Walk. At twelve feet in length, the reptile comes easily to shore to greet guests and friends and overtime has become like a family pet. News Five Delahnie Bain also found that Bob is fond of cameras. Here's her report.

Delahnie Bain, Reporting

When you think of crocodiles, the image of a man eating creature as shown in movies often comes to mind. But the Pelayo family at the Lamanai Riverside Retreat are hoping to change that stereotype with a twelve foot croc named Bob.

Lance Pelayo, Tour Guide, Lamanai Riverside Retreat

"You do see crocodiles flowing by. There’s one crocodile in particular; his name is Bob, he's about sixty-five years old, he's about twelve feet in length. He comes around and for the Lamanai Riverside Retreat he is a tourist attraction himself. Bob is an amazing creature. He's a friend to the family then, he's like a pet. We can pet him, touch him, he does a couple stuffs. He comes out lays on the grass, opens his mouth-he loves cameras, he takes pictures."

Bob is only one of about fifteen crocs that have been regular visitors at Lamanai since it opened fifteen years ago.

Lance Pelayo

Lance Pelayo

"It started with I guess my dad. Crocodiles used to come along and people were scared of swimming in the river. I guess it was crazy bet back in the days with friends and when we swim across they say hey man can you go across the river and from then we never got scared of them again. We just tagged them to see the size. It's not like we go out every time and tag them in river like annually. Just occasionally we mark them so that when they come back we know who's who and how big he's grown from then."

But according to Lance Pelayo, the reptiles are no longer safe in the river because they are targeted by other residents.

Lance Pelayo

"There were other crocodiles that use to come around but right now the people are, I guess they're damaging the creatures because we found one of the crocodiles floating over there the last time and his head was decapitated and that was a huge crocodile. Right now people come up to them, the throw things at them, they took out one of Bob's eyes. Back in the days we had another one that used to come around, Felipe. He was much bigger and somebody shot him. I got a picture of my little brother there swimming with one of the crocodiles. You can see how harmless they are but like I said, all wild animals they do tend to have a tendency that they can react at any moment. But as long as they don't feel threatened by you, they won't bring you no harm."

Pelayo says he's been up close and personal with crocs up to sixteen feet large and was never harmed. So he has a message for those who started hunting his friends.

Lance Pelayo

"They’re amazing animals. You look at them, you see it and you know it. They are very beautiful when you look at them close up. A lot of people are scared of them but try not to hurt them. They’re not doing you any harm-I don't think the crocodile will come out and go in your house and eat you right so let em be and don't go into their house. Simple as that."

Delahnie Bain for News Five.

P
P
The first photo looks like an Alligator.

Morelet's crocodile is at Lamani they are different than the crocks we have on the island.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
S
S
8' is big for a Morelet's, 10' is huge, 12' are extremely rare and I only know of one place where they exist in Belize and it's not at Lamanai. 16'? Not a chance. The largest one we recorded was 10' 3" and it also wasn't at Lamanai.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morelet's_Crocodile

Last edited by SimonB; 11/20/10 10:06 AM. Reason: Added Ref.
Sorry Simon but Morelet's are all around Belize especially at Lamani. i also see them in Maskall and Bomba.
They dont like salt water much and you never see them out here but the freshwaters of the mainland, yes and lots.
However your correct the dont seem to be as big as the guy is claiming in this story.
Morelets are also much less aggressive, even considered shy.
Remember I'm a tour guide and we study these things ;-)

White Sands Dive Shop
S
S
You're reading wrong Elbert. I'm talking about the size. The highest count we had on the New River Lagoon (Lamanai) was about 300 in a night. Remember, I worked with several of the people cited in the Wikipedia article wink

OK, you two........don't make me stop this golf cart.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
I did read it wrong, I read it to say, 'only one place where they exist and not Lamani' to mean only one place the 'Morelets' exist.
sorry

White Sands Dive Shop
PS the croc hes petting doesn't seem to have teeth!
let him try petting this moma!
http://matalagoon.blogspot.com/

White Sands Dive Shop
S
S
Just an FYI. The reason they don't get that big in the New River Lagoon is because the vast majority of their diet consists of eating Apple Snails.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.