Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#393772 11/30/10 07:05 AM
A C Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey guys,

Whats the bigger highspeed internet rates for btl now? I read somewhere that they were supposed to be doubling bandwidth on Nov 1st for the same price. Did that happen?

If anyone has or knows the rates/speeds can you post them here. Their website is grossly out of date and half the pages 404.

AC

We have 2 Megs, together with the (prepaid) phone line for $ 400 BZ

THE BAKER, Front Street, San Pedro Town
7 days a week 7 am to 7 pm
Phone 206-2036
http://thebaker.bz
A C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by The Baker
We have 2 Megs, together with the (prepaid) phone line for $ 400 BZ

can you do me a favor and check what speed you are getting max. When i was on 2megs there i generally got 1.5

just go to http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ pick a location and hit begin test.

Let me know! Thanks!

AC

Speeds - Regular - Bizfone - Installation - Monthly charges for unit
256k - - $100.00 - - - NA - - - $200.00 - - $30.00 (DSL Zoom Modem)
512k - - $179.00 - $100.00 - $200.00 - - - $30.00 (DSL Zoom Modem)
1Mb - - - $300.00 - $179.00 - $200.00 - - $30.00 (DSL Zoom Modem)
2Mb - - - $500.00 - $300.00 - $200.00 - - $100.00 (Cisco 877 Router)
4mb - - - $850.00 - $500.00 - $200.00 - - $100.00 (Cisco 877 Router)

Live and let live
A C Offline OP
OP Offline
Can anyone do me a HUGE favor and find out if i can bring my own cisco router? Id need the exact model number. Im there 8 months out of the year so it would make more sense to spend 200US on the router.

AC

V
V
With the 1 Meg BTL service...

1.4 Mb DL
0.52 Mb UL

Hey, that's finally what I was paying for! Wonder if I can get a reimbursement for the last 12 months it was half this speed? Didn't think so...

A C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Voxman
With the 1 Meg BTL service...

1.4 Mb DL
0.52 Mb UL

Hey, that's finally what I was paying for! Wonder if I can get a reimbursement for the last 12 months it was half this speed? Didn't think so...

I doubt it as well bro haha.

Anymore people wanna test and post your results?

AC

2mb down and .8mb up $400 Bz per month (tax incl)

S
S
You do not need the exact same router, just get one that handles the speeds BTL offer. They use that Cisco router because they get a deal for bulk purchase. This is a good model. DSL-2640B ADSL2/2+ Modem with Wireless Router

A C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Mcplus
You do not need the exact same router, just get one that handles the speeds BTL offer. They use that Cisco router because they get a deal for bulk purchase. This is a good model. DSL-2640B ADSL2/2+ Modem with Wireless Router

you are 100% sure of this? as in you've done it or knows someone who has. Im not saying its not possible technically spealking; I know it is. I just want to make sure they allow it.

i figured they might say "we dont know how to confirgure this model sorry" ya know?

AC

S
S
I purchased one from CSM 2000 and Julian set it up for me before I left the store. Works fine....
Front panel label says "Zoom ADSL X6"

A C Offline OP
OP Offline
does anyone have julians email? I had it at one point but miss placed it.

AC

S
S

A C Offline OP
OP Offline
emailed* thanks jesse!

AC

THE BAKER, Front Street, San Pedro Town
7 days a week 7 am to 7 pm
Phone 206-2036
http://thebaker.bz
T
T
$79 BZD per month for BTL wireless

1MG download .5MG upload that is the slowest I have recorded.

A C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by TravelinMan1
$79 BZD per month for BTL wireless

1MG download .5MG upload that is the slowest I have recorded.

btl wireless? is that your package? or some island wide thing?

AC

S
S
I'm getting 555 kb down and 55 up..costs BZ$110.00 + BZ$44.27 for the phone service

T
T
New system they are offering but only if you don't have line service available. I also pay $30 for the equipment rental but that just does not sound as good. I have been on it for a month now and it has been great to this point. The wireless router has it's own battery backup so even without power it still works. I don't think there are any other speed options though. I have noticed a little drop in speed though but it could be a time of day thing as most of the past tests I have done at early morning.

The cool thing is I could put the router on my boat and work at sea or on the beach or on the dock or anywhere for that matter as long as there is a cell signal.

A C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by TravelinMan1
New system they are offering but only if you don't have line service available. I also pay $30 for the equipment rental but that just does not sound as good. I have been on it for a month now and it has been great to this point. The wireless router has it's own battery backup so even without power it still works. I don't think there are any other speed options though. I have noticed a little drop in speed though but it could be a time of day thing as most of the past tests I have done at early morning.

The cool thing is I could put the router on my boat and work at sea or on the beach or on the dock or anywhere for that matter as long as there is a cell signal.

thats awesome! i might get that just to have it lol. let me know when you are taking that thing out on your boat, i wanna work from the ocean smile haha baller.

AC

seriously though, tell me when lol.

AC almost any modem will work now because BTL no longer uses the Routed 1483 Protocol and since their system upgrade a few months back..Now its the new simpler PPPoE where as you just enter your username and password and most modems I know automatically fill in the settings...Zoom X5 had a heating issue and me and Julian had agreed on that so we had found a modem that works out best which is the Actiontec 704...I'm sure some folks on this message board have purchased these modems from him and they should be working great..I wouldnt recommend the Zoom X5 or X6 for a business because they both still have that heating issue in common after plugging in 3 or more PCs to its built in router..they kinda work great for personal use..since you are next door to us and I have seen you a few times on our surviellance dinning with us...just ask Jeff to gimme a holla and I could show you how our modems work...and yes their DSL service has improved since they are no longer splitting the fibre optics to shared connections for customers...everyone now has their own tunneling

Alter Ego how much was Actiontec 704?

We currently use a Zoom as that was what they offered when we switched to BTL but router does get hot for sure.

Upload is 1.06 and download .50 Think we are paying around 400 a month.

Anyone know of coral cable doubled as a result of BTL doing so was curious about that.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

JZB Offline
Tg, Coral Cable did double their speed as well.

hi TacoGirl...Actiontec was around $66us purchased off ebay but Julian had em for $250bz I guess because of duty and stuff he had to cover...what happens with the Zoom modems is that they get hot and your connection starts dropping..what also contributes to it is the temp in your room and also people placing stuff as crazy as coffee makers, magazines which blocks its cooling vents...but regardless of what modems you have we all should be getting really good speed now...Is CCV service still unstable? because there was still that issue that at times modems lose sync almost for the entire day

A C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Alter Ego
AC almost any modem will work now because BTL no longer uses the Routed 1483 Protocol and since their system upgrade a few months back..Now its the new simpler PPPoE where as you just enter your username and password and most modems I know automatically fill in the settings...Zoom X5 had a heating issue and me and Julian had agreed on that so we had found a modem that works out best which is the Actiontec 704...I'm sure some folks on this message board have purchased these modems from him and they should be working great..I wouldnt recommend the Zoom X5 or X6 for a business because they both still have that heating issue in common after plugging in 3 or more PCs to its built in router..they kinda work great for personal use..since you are next door to us and I have seen you a few times on our surviellance dinning with us...just ask Jeff to gimme a holla and I could show you how our modems work...and yes their DSL service has improved since they are no longer splitting the fibre optics to shared connections for customers...everyone now has their own tunneling

Hey buddy, check your PM

P
P
Quick question - of the three modem/routers mentioned...

DSL-2640B ADSL2/2+ Modem with Wireless Router
Zoom ADSL X6
Actiontec 704

Which would be considered the best? And (more importantly), will these work on Caye Caulker (do they have the same type of service)?

Thank you!

Zoom ADSL X6 gets warm but seems to hold up for years.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 137 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.