Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#394271 - 12/07/10 03:47 PM Calling home.....
RMT Offline
I tried a search on this but am not having too much success....

We will be down shortly and while I don't plan on being on the phone much I still need to be able to check my messages for my business. Probably two phone calls a day.
We both Have AT&T iphones. I will call AT&T and see about service but I always get nervous that the person I am speaking too is giving me the wrong info.

Can someone tell please what the best way would be to "phone home"?

Looking forward to our return trip after a few years away!

Thank you!

#394272 - 12/07/10 03:59 PM Re: Calling home..... [Re: RMT]
P.J. Offline
You need to call AT&T and activate the global roaming/calling plan. Cant remember exactly what it is called, but they will know. I think it will cost you an extra $8/mo and you need to keep it for 2-3 months since the billing can be delayed. If I remember correctly, it will cut the cost of your phone calls by half, so if you make a few phone calls, it is worth it. When I first visited Belize, I had to take care of all of this as well. This was 2.5 yrs ago, so things may have change by now. Hope this helps. And come visit our cafe to say hello if you're in San Pedro. smile

#394273 - 12/07/10 04:00 PM Re: Calling home..... [Re: RMT]
Judyann H. Offline
RMT...Welcome back. There are quite a few options. As a mobile AT&T subscriber I use to pay $3.95 for a discounted international rate that I could turn off and on during visits. This works for a few calls during Belize stays.....Before getting my own Belize number I found it was less expensive to use the digi-cell cards to buy minutes and put them on a Belize phone as the rates were less. However in your case you might just want to simplify the whole process and get a tourist phone from Quicksilver....A great reliable source that will meet you at the airport. Feel free to send me a PM, I don't want to be too lengthy on the public forum....If you have specific questions maybe I can help there. We have business in both Belize & the US, I have been able to purchase other equipment and make calls both ways at an affordable rate. GOOD LUCK!
My friends call me Judyann

#394274 - 12/07/10 04:08 PM Re: Calling home..... [Re: RMT]
Judyann H. Offline
Another note: If I am not mistaken the Quicksilver phones come with pre-programmed numbers for easy local calls; like a taxi, the airport a few restaurants.....
My friends call me Judyann

#394275 - 12/07/10 04:15 PM Re: Calling home..... [Re: RMT]
RMT Offline
Thank you guys! This is all very helpful. I have called ATT in the past for travel in S. America, Europe but I was concerned the same rules did not apply in Belize. I need to get moving on this!

Thank you PJ. I have been seeing your posts and will make a point to stop in!

Thanks again.....

#394298 - 12/07/10 11:17 PM Re: Calling home..... [Re: RMT]
reaper Offline
Pay me the $8 bucks and I'll check your messages and then e-mail them to you. Unless you don't want me to know how many millions of dollars you make. Then I will have to charge you $9 bucks a month for the reaper answering service.

Edited by reaper (12/07/10 11:18 PM)
Edit Reason: upped my fees

#394301 - 12/08/10 07:09 AM Re: Calling home..... [Re: RMT]
RMT Offline
Thanks Reaper! Is that a one time fee or for each call?? I'll have to consider this offer.....

#394344 - 12/08/10 12:35 PM Re: Calling home..... [Re: RMT]
hazzyy Offline
If you come down frequently enough and depending on the software version of your iPhones, you can also have your iPhone unlocked. We do the iPhone unlocking here on the island. This way you can use your iPhone with a Digicell SIM card.

Keep in mind though that since you are an AT&T customer it will/can void your warranty with Apple if you ever find the need to bring it to an Apple store for service. But if you're warranty has already expired then no worries.

PM me for more details.

#394345 - 12/08/10 12:41 PM Re: Calling home..... [Re: hazzyy]
RMT Offline
Thank you Hazzyy. We haven't been down in awhile and with the airfare as crazy as it was, not sure when we'll be back after this upcoming trip!
I don't think unlocking the phone is an option for us, but thank you very much for the info.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Marty), 54 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,718 Topics
461,261 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.