Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#39536 05/18/01 02:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Hi Ya'll,

A newbie here - I've enjoyed reading and searching this board. Now I have a few questions that I couldn't find answers to. I'm planning a trip from June 20/21 to July 3 (alone, alas) staying at the Seven Seas. However, they can't take me until the 23rd, so I was wondering about staying until then for 2-3 nights at Rubie's. 1. Can anyone tell me (a) how loud it is in the evenings - I'm cursed with being a very light sleeper, (b) is there a way to get ice in the room to have cold water/drinks (I'm assuming they don't have a fridge), and (c) if it would be too hot at that time to get a room with a fan rather than air?

2. Are any of you going to be there during that timeframe?

3. Being a rather shy female alone, how difficult do you think it would be to meet
people to do things with and hang out?

4. I've seen reference to June being a rainy season - is this true and how bad? Going alone, this trip is way too expensive to spend rained-in somewhere. I've wanted to go for years, and after reading this board and how much everyone loves the place, I definitely MUST go - I do have flexibility as to when - just not before 6/20.

5. How bad are the mosquitoes that time of year? If you are going to be there, you definitely want to hang out with me - I'm the best bug repellant you'll find - they swarm me and leave everyone else alone!

Thanks so much for any and all help!!

#39537 05/18/01 03:57 PM
B
B
I hear nothing but good reports about Rubies, and think it would be a good place to mingle and meet like minded travelers. As a light sleeper, I have really good luck using earplugs. Try them at home and see if you can get used to them, they can come in handy in many situations involving flimsy walls. The cheapies at walgreens come like a dozen pair for$5. Sign up for a tour or two early in your trip and see if any likely new buddies appear. On the water, i have had ni trouble with skeeters or bugs in general. I admire your adventurousness.

As for Ac, what's your budget?

#39538 05/18/01 04:05 PM
I Girl,
Ear plugs are a must (I stayed at the Holiday, right next door to Rubies). Ken and Lynne can tell you more since that's where they stayed.
Not to worry about being shy. Something in the Beliken will attract friends for life. Prescription: Just drink two in the morning and with meals, and you are off to the party!!!!!

#39539 05/18/01 04:31 PM
A
A
Hola Island Girl!

Welcome! First, let me tell you- don't worry about going alone. I went alone and had friends before I even got to my hotel...I was invited to happy hour while I still had my backpack on!

I'm going to be there June 29th to July 5th (I'm trying not to acknowledge the reality of it just yet, as the anticipation could be torture).

I stayed at Ruby's this past March when I was there and I loved it. I thought it was noisier in the morning than at night, but then again, I came in very late and passed out as soon as head hit my moth ball smelling pillow (it's a good moth ball smell). Also, I kind of liked the early morning wake up call, as there is nothing nicer than Ruby's coffee on the balcony with a hangover.

I was alittle hot in the one room I stayed in becasue it was very small with only one window and I was on the street side. My last few nights I was in a bigger room on the beach side and had two windows, the breeze was perfect for sleeping and I was not hot at all. Then again, I don't even know what we are in for with June/July temperatures.

I'm going to stay at Ruby's for a portion of my return visit, provided there are rooms available. You really can't beat the price and it's very clean. You meet some really friendly people at the picnic tables; we would all meet up there around dinner, have a few beers, and see where everyone was going that night.

You are going to have a great time!! Report back when you decide what you are going to do.

#39540 05/18/01 08:40 PM
K
K
Islandgirl -
Rubies or Rubys -saw it spelled both ways.
Yes, we'd recommend Rubys, but take note, it's very basic, but with atmosphere. Also, the employees keep it very clean. We made a special friend, Maria, who kept our room clean. (If you stay there please say hi for us!!!)(also hotel has been owned by a local family for 30 years). We met the most interesting people there, also half the people staying there are extensively traveling and only passing through for a few days or are serious divers, who go to bed early, for the sun comes up at 5:30 and it is very hot by 7:00 am, so you won't stay in bed for long.

It is not loud, but we had an occational tourist coming back and passing out in chairs on the decks, all part of the atmosphere.

Rich had a bar and music below him at Holiday next door so it was louder, but that didn't go on very long.

The loudest night we had was on a Friday when across the street some locals decided to have a head banger party.

Make sure you get an ocean side rm second or third floor, for the breeze - the back rooms are hot with no wind at all. Each rm has a fan, but we did'nt use it, there are also four nicer rms with air for $60 night.
Also - there's a great little deli with coffee and sweet rolls in the morning and a good lunch following - all at a good price, leaving you money left to buy drinks for your new found friends. Have a great time!!

Lynne said she would feel very safe staying there alone. They have a security guard on duty everynight.

#39541 05/18/01 09:26 PM
M
M
Can't tell you about Rubie's(Ruby's), but we stayed at Seven Seas last September,and you will love it! Others have great things to say about Rubies,and the earplugs are a good idea, however, after a full day in the sun and a few Belikins under your belt, you will probably sleep like someone who has had a full day in the sun and a few Belikins under your belt!(Sorry,my attempt at humor,you will sleep well!)As far as ice goes, we always take a collapsable cooler and fill it with ice and brew if there is no fridge. You will have a wonderful time..I went with my hubby, mother and sister,but I would have no qualms about going solo..many wonderful people,the friendliest native AC'ers ever. Not sure about the rain, but can tell you that September was wonderful, weather wise..you do risk the hurricane season,but we lucked out. Bugs..it is tropical, but we took Benadryl cream,pills,an my favorite bug remedy, Rhuligel(expensive,but worth it!) Have a great time.

Mary and Scott
#39542 05/18/01 10:19 PM
There will always be someone sitting at the bar at the Holiday Hotel, right next door. The bartenders are Oscar and Chris..you'll meet friends there. And be sure to go to the Palapa, if you can on Sunday afternoon...it's a GREAT time, Jam session, you'll meet lots of people there, too. Oh and go by The Hidaway and introduce yourself to the "Golden Girls" they own the place! Joyce, Pat...help me Dave, i forget the other's???You'll have GREAT fun!!

#39543 05/19/01 02:15 AM
S
S
Hello,

I'll probably still be staying at Rubies during those dates, I'll be getting a room there for a month, starting end of May.
I'll be there by myself also, and meeting people is definatly not a problem on AC, don't worry.

As far as the rainy season, it's really not bad at all, it might rain a little bit early morning, and also for a few minutes during the afternoon, a warm welcomed rain, or you might even not see rain at all.

Mosquitoes: not the season yet, not much to worry about. Some flies might sting a bit sometimes, especially when the wind drops down, but really nothing to worry about.

I'm sure you'll have a great time!

See you there [Linked Image].

[This message has been edited by Smok (edited 05-19-2001).]

#39544 05/21/01 05:17 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Big Frank and ronmyway - I hadn't thought about earplugs - great idea. I'll get some and start practicing now.

AC Beach Bum - Encouraging to know you didn't mind being alone and got an early start making friends. I'll be at Seven Seas by the time you get down, but maybe we can plan to meet up somewhere for happy hour and swap adventures.

Ken & Lynne - Ruby's gave me a beachfront room, and I took your advice and asked for the 2nd or 3rd floor. I'm really glad to hear they have a security guard and that Lynne would feel safe alone. I'll be sure and tell Maria you said hello.

Mary - Did you need earplugs at Seven Seas, too? You are right - after a couple of days of sun and snorkeling and a wee drinkie or two, I don't have as much problem sleeping. Thanks for the reminder about the Rhuligel, I think I have some at home. Do you know if it has a shelf life or last indefinitely?

Rickcheri - I'll pub the Holiday bar on my list and the Palapa down for Sunday. With the references to the "Golden Girls", my curiosity wouldn't let me leave without meeting them.

Smok - Glad to hear the mosquitoes won't be too bad. I'm used to a brief shower or two every day in the islands - just don't want days of it. You can be my welcoming party and give me all the scoop when I get down since you will still be there.

Ya'll are great!! Thanks for all the info and advice!!!

#39545 05/21/01 07:36 PM
K
K
Island Girl
Thanks for saying Hi to Maria, and if by chance, because there's so many people coming and going, tell her we were the couple that stayed in room 12, that gave her the (Ruby's juice)mug.
Also-if you do any snorkeling, diving or setting up any type of trips, go down to Barefoot watersports (next to the Yacht club) and ask for Dawn or Mike (the owners) and they will really (I mean really) do everything they can to make your arrangements the best.
You'll have a wonderfull time-
Thanks again, Ken & Lynne

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 284 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.