Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#39595 05/20/01 07:36 PM
B
OP Offline
B
My husband and I have some airline tickets reserved for Belize for July 3-8. We know we are taking a chance because of rainy season. I am not so worried about the rain, moreover the mosquito bites. Could anyone tell me how bad they are compared to different times of the year. We haven't booked yet and can hold off if it is especially thick that time. Also, what hotels do people recommend in the $150- 200/ night price range.

Thanks!

#39596 05/22/01 07:53 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about the mossies, but just to be on the safe side I would consider bringing a good repellent containing at least 30% deet. The mosquitos can be a nuisance when the winds die down but not enough to deter any planned or unplanned events.

There is usually less mosquitos to bother you in the dry season or after the northers start because the winds pick up and the little bug...s just can't fly in strong winds.

Hotels: There are many good hotels in that range. Need to know more about your preferences. eg: location north or south of the cut, condo suite or hotel room, kitchenette facilities, pool, distance from town, etc. See //www.ambergriscaye.com/pages/lodge/lodging.html for lots of selections.

**Jim

**Jim
#39597 05/23/01 08:41 AM
Was there last year at that time and was not bothered by bugs. It is probably more of a problem the further south you go, such as Punta Gorda, Monkey River town was the only bite i got!The breeze blows almost all the time on the Island.

#39598 05/23/01 09:33 AM
Beth,

I wouldn't worry about the mosquitos on Ambergris Caye. It is rare that anyone is much bothered by them in town or on/near the water anytime of year. Only on those times, usually later in summer, when the prevailing breezes die down are they a concern on the beach side. Yes, on the back side of the island away from the breeze they can be vicious, especially in the far south and north, but again you likely won't be spending much if any time where the mozzies are.

As to the rain, unless you are very unlucky you'll have plenty of sunshine and good weather most of the time. There is no "monsoon season" in Belize -- just seasonal rains, but on the cayes unless there's a stalled tropical front or storm the rains come and go pretty quickly.

On hotels in the US$150-$200 range, that's really plenty off-season. Most hotels and condotels are less than that, especially if you book direct on the Internet.

Among the places I like (most less than your budget) are:

**** Banana Beach
**** Caribbean Villas
**** Banyan Bay
**** Victoria House
*** SunBreeze
*** Mayan Princess
*** Paradise Villas
**** The Palms

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.belizefirst.com

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#39599 05/23/01 09:40 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the input, my husband and I made reservations. I'll just bring OFF and skin so soft for those nasty bugs. I don't think it will be a big deal now.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 278 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.