Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
When they explode it is very dramatic. The description would probably be more like shatter than explode, but the accompanying shrapnel and sharp crack sound can be very scary. Not much evidence to look at after the fact.

B
B
Hi Dane,
It would not make any difference how the tile is attached. I don't care if you bolt the tile down. It would still shatter and send shrapnel throughout the room. It is extreme lateral pressure with no where to go but up.

P
P
It happened to us a few years back in a rented house, also in the middle of the night. I guess thats when it's coolest and the biggest difference in contractions between the slab and the tile adhesive. We thought a gang of armed bandits were in the house having a shoot out. Not the most pleasant of awakenings and then sneaking round the house with a basaball bat wondering what the hell you are looking for...........

Phil #397216 01/13/11 10:44 AM
T
t42 Offline
T
Bottom line it is still the fault of being improperly layed and with the wrong adhesive or the cold would cause this to happen everywhere.

I've done a lot of custom tile jobs in the States. When laid correctly tile becomes part of the substrate it's laid on. If laid properly the tile will crack and shatter like hot pyrex in cold water.

Thinset doesn't have to be 1/2" thick, you don't have put the thinset on both the tile and the floor (back buttering is good for natural stone but not always necessary) but it is best practice to key in or burn the thinset on to the floor for best adhesion. If you're working with natural tiles (stone/marble/etc...) it's good to wipe the back of the tiles with a damp sponge.

The problem I find most of the time here is either:

1. The substrate isn't properly cleaned before hand. A lot of times they just sweep it and that's it. That leaves a lot of dust/dirt on the substrate.

2. They lay one tile at a time and by the time they get half way through a bucket of thinset it's already skinned over and too dry.

Thanks for the additional info. I have some tiles that are getting loose and I am hoping this cold snap doesn't create more problems! But when it comes time to re-lay the tile I want to get the job done correctly.

OP Offline
We ended up having to tile the entire room over. They did it correctly this time, and will probably outlast me! Amanda, we had John Harvey do the work and he was very intricate. Sanded down the old tiles to make sure there was no epoxy/grout/glue/etc. remaining on them, then retiled the entire room.

Change your Latitude
Thanks for the info shuffles. I hope that you don't have to go through that experience again.

John Harvey is a great "all around" jack of all trades. And a nice man too.

tiles popped (8 total, two rows of 4) the first time about 3 years ago. then about 6 months ago, the entire dining area in my house popped.

when you knock on the tiles in the kitchen, you can hear the hollow sound of nothing between the tiles and the ground.

i was told by several people that this is due to cheap thinset that was used years ago (my house is closing in on 15 years old).

sucks, but i'll have to retile my entire house...first need to sell more weddings as i need a new floor, new roof, new kitchen, new bathroom, new ceiling, new doors, new windows....*sigh* - home ownership!

seems my house, like me, has reached the end of its shelf life! Time for reconstructive surgery!!! laugh laugh

I have also had this happen and been told improper application of thinset was the problem.They need some sort of Home Depot courses here for such things.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 321 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.