Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#39623 - 05/21/01 03:26 PM grocery stores?
jtredman Offline
My husband and I will be going to AC in June (first-timers). Should we be concerned about purchasing meat (poultry, beef, etc.) at the local grocery stores? We like to cook, but we don't want to get sick. Any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks!
Tracy Redman

#39624 - 05/21/01 05:50 PM Re: grocery stores?
RobertE Offline
Not to worry, it is safe. You won't get the same cuts,selection etc. and expect to pay a little more. There is a good butcher shop in town. HOWEVER, Be adventureous and eat out as you can do it for quite cheap and experience the true local culture.

The food is great anything from burritos for two bucks to a five star dinner for much dinero. I can live off stewed chicken and rice and beans. Quite tasty, hearty and cheap! Also the homemade tortillas rule. I can be happy eating either and lots of times the little hole in wall place is far better. Grab a cool drink and something from a street vendor and watch the sunset. Also. go to BC's for the BBQ and great atmosphere.
Ask for Ernie, he's a great bartender!

You'll be glad you did!

#39625 - 05/21/01 05:54 PM Re: grocery stores?
margarita Offline
Debbie is the FRESH CHICKEN expert on this board!

Guide posted 07-26-2000 12:00 PM

"Sandshaker and Marvel,
Thought you would both get a kick out of this one, speaking of BBQ. I wanted to BBQ on the patio while there.
Fell in love with Jambel's jerk chicken and thought I might try making it myself. Got the grill from the hotel management, bought the charcoal, and went shopping for chicken. The market, don't remember the name but it was green, had only frozen chicken. I asked the girl if they ever had fresh chicken in, as I wanted it for lunch. She looked at me funny and said, Yeah, I can get fresh chicken, come back in 45 minutes. Did the rest of my shopping and came back. Chicken was in a plastic bag. Went home and dumped it in the sink to wash it. It still had legs, feet and feathers!!!!!! I about died. My husband laughed so hard he peed himself. His prize picture of me in Belize is me cutting the feet off a chicken and plucking it. Was definately a new experience. Good for a laugh anyway. Aren't we all so spoiled?? Have to say, though. It was the FRESHEST chicken I ever ate."

Most of the beef I saw in the stores was frozen. Fresh Fish is always available!
Belize it!

#39626 - 05/21/01 06:28 PM Re: grocery stores?
oh! i had nearly forgotten about that story. i was hysterical reading it the first time. debbie has now become my good friend (via email) and will be cracking up when she sees it again! thanks for the smile

#39627 - 05/21/01 08:53 PM Re: grocery stores?
CovinaKid Offline
No need to worry about the meats on the island. The Grocery stores carry a pretty good selection of meat and poulty. There are two meats stores that I am aware of, one in town called Lino's Meats and one more north heading to the toll ferry which I cannot recall the name. Have fun cooking!

#39628 - 05/22/01 02:03 PM Re: grocery stores?
Debbie Offline
I absolutely can't believe you remembered that!!!! I will no doubt go down in infamy over that damned chicken!!!!!!! I'm rolling in the floor. It's still so funny. Thanks for reminding everyone...... *shaking head*

#39629 - 05/24/01 12:53 PM Re: grocery stores?
Debbie Offline
Don't forget to ask your hotel or resort for a BBQ pit. Many places have them for you to use. We cooked some of our fresh fish (caught ourselves) out on the pit. It was Maaahhhhhhvelous. There are some fabulous spices and things at the grocery stores as well. If you've never tried Jamaican Jerk spice, I highly recommend it. I order it from Belize now, every few months. I had a blast experiementing with new foods while I was there.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (DJ's @ the Beach, 2 invisible), 38 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,632 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,705 Topics
461,224 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.