Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#397006 - 01/11/11 03:51 PM Tourist in accident complains of unfair treatment
Marty Offline

Minister: Tourist shouldn’t expect special treatment

Suzan Benzle Boutz

Still on the police, the family of a businesswoman from Chattanooga, Tennessee, is accusing the department of corruption. The woman came to Belize in December for a three week Christmas vacation with her family. But she is getting an extended stay because she is facing two charges following a traffic accident at the junction of the Southern Highway and the Placencia Road. Suzan Benzle Boutz’ story has been posted on the internet with her version of events which gives the police department a black eye. She owns a company that specializes in religious jewelry and textiles. News Five Delahnie Bain reports.

Delahnie Bain, Reporting

The family of sixty year old Suzan Benzle Boutz has returned to the US after a visit to the jewel. Suzan was involved in a traffic incident in the south which ash led to her detention, arrest and the surrender of her passport to prevent her from leaving Belize until the conclusion of her case for two traffic offences. Her son, Elliott Benzle, has posted a website called Belize Travel Review with a large banner at the top, saying “Warning Do Not Travel to Belize”. The site carries their version of the accident, which according to Susan and her son, was not her fault. They claim Susan was driving a rented Daihatsu Terrios at about six-forty-five on December twentieth. She stopped at the junction of the Placencia Road and the Southern Highway and that’s when, Rony Cruz, who was travelling on a motorcycle, allegedly swerved into the wrong lane, and slammed into the vehicle. The impact flung him over the SUV before he landed on the pavement. Cruz is also said to have hit his head on the windshield during the collision.

Susan’s son alleges that after the accident, Independence Police refused to take statements from willing eyewitnesses and one was later threatened. In her own statement on the website, Susan says she was held for eighteen hours at the police station before she was given any information about the charges or was allowed to contact an attorney. She further states that she slept on a bare concrete floor and was taunted by officers on duty that night. She has been charged with Negligent Grievous Harm and Driving Without Due Care and Attention. As for the website, Susan’s son says it will be removed as soon as his mother is allowed to leave the country. Delahnie Bain for News Five.

Boutz pleaded not guilty to the two charges and despite requests for a speedy trial, she goes back to court on January twenty-seventh; more than a month after the accident. Meanwhile, Rony Cruz has been treated for his injuries and released from the hospital.

Channel 5

Minister says tourist shouldn’t expect special treatment

We asked Minister of Police, Doug Singh, to comment on the matter and he says Boutz cannot expect special treatment just because she is a tourist.

Doug Singh

“I am not aware of the details of the case. It is something that I am going to get up on. It is my understanding from the information I am receiving thus far; I am not getting this from official sources simply because I have not asked. It seems like this lady expects to be treated differently. She was detained and released. Her passport has been held because she is a flight risk and until the matter is dealt with by the court, because anybody who hit somebody is an illegal act in any country and she can’t expect to be treated any differently from any Belizean. In other words, she is not being treated any differently and there is no obligation to do so. It’s not just a simply matter; it is a matter of harm to somebody else. It is an accident—accidents happen.”

Channel 5

Family Claims Belize A Tourist Trap

An American woman who is in a tourist in Belize has become the source of some controversy as her family in the states say police took her passport and don't want to give it back.

It started with a traffic accident that occurred three weeks ago on the Southern highway at the Placencia junction.

The sender of the emails, US National Elliot Boutz, son of sixty year old Suzan Benzle Boutz, who was involved in the accident has made several allegations against the police department. Elliot Boutz claimed that his mother was left to sleep on the ground after being detained. He went on to say that her passport was also taken away and they were treated unfairly by the police in Independence.

Boutz was travelling with his mother Suzan, who was driving when she crashed into thirty nine year old Rony Robert Cruz. Cruz who was unconscious at the time was transported to the hospital and Boutz was detained by the police. According to Assistant Commissioner of Police, Mike Segura, Boutz was detained and charged with "driving with due care and attention" and "negligent grievous harm" as doctor classified Cruz's injuries as maim. Because Cruz was still unconscious, when Boutz appeared in court the Magistrate ordered that she surrender her documents as per procedure.

Segura went on to say that, police investigations reveal that Boutz was at fault in the accident because she failed to give way to traffic. In responding to allegations that Boutz was left to sleep on the floor, the police deny that because they said she was allowed to sit on a detention bench and was even loaned a quilt while she had her son stay with her.

We also contacted, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and we were told that Boutz was released on the 21st when she was charged and granted bail. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs went on to say that the police report stated that she was allowed to contact her family, U.S Embassy and was also told she can get a lawyer if she wished to.

Elliot Boutz takes a different view and has started an internet campaign against Belizean authorities, claiming that they have been roughly and unjustly handed and that their case has been sabotaged.

Most serious in all this is a website with the headline, quote: " Belize Review: Warning Do Not Travel to Belize".

A note on the site states, quote: "I will take this site down as soon as Mrs. Boutz has her passport back and is safely out of the country…"

Police investigations are ongoing.

Channel 7

#397254 - 01/14/11 07:56 AM Re: Tourist in accident complains of unfair treatment [Re: Marty]
jamesp Offline
"She stopped at the junction of the Placencia Road and the Southern Highway and that’s when, Rony Cruz, who was travelling on a motorcycle, allegedly swerved into the (((wrong lane))), and slammed into the vehicle."

So How come She has been charged with Negligent Grievous Harm and Driving Without Due Care and Attention?? someone could explain this??

#397257 - 01/14/11 02:06 PM Re: Tourist in accident complains of unfair treatment [Re: jamesp]
ragman Offline
In reading about this matter what bothered me is the comments section following the articles in Belize. It seems that a fair amount of people commenting thought that if the Police acted wrongly (I have no knowledge of the incident of course) that it was OK because she is from the USA and their police are racist who beat, torture, practice unlawful detention and such as a common occurrence. This is especially true with the handling of foreigners they have said.

This is particularly dismaying to me because it is anything but the truth. In a country of 300+ Million there are bound to be instances of police brutality and such but they are at a minimum and when brought to light, are dealt with swiftly. Usually with at least firing the officer and criminal charges are not uncommon. The American public just would not stand for this. The press of course emphasizes the bad incidents and I guess that some think this is common. It is not. The law bends over backwards to afford foreigners in ths USA, legal and illegal equal and sometimes better protection, I know this first hand and I feel obligated to express this.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 29 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,006 Topics
462,169 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.