Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#397097 - 01/12/11 09:21 AM "Belize: A Great Destination", Kate Joynes-Burgess
Marty Offline

Press Release - A Central American expert is putting Belize firmly on the map with the release of a new travel guide to this exciting Caribbean destination. Kate Joynes-Burgess, based mainly in Mexico City, spent nearly a decade exploring and writing about this culturally eclectic part of the continent, discovering without a doubt that Belize offers much more that sensational scuba diving.

Her book, BELIZE: A GREAT DESTINATION (Countryman Press Explorer’s Guides; December 2010; $19.95) offers an unbiased, insider’s guide to both well-known and less well-known attractions, from the beauty of Belize’s Mayan ruins to its awesome natural reserves, from the forest-green mountains to the sapphire shores of the Caribbean Sea.

Her research uncovers hip new hotspots in Ambergris Caye—the birthplace of Belizean tourism—and luxury lodges in the wilds of western Belize. For adventurous travelers, this book features all the best options in canoeing, caving, scuba, snorkeling, birding and big cat spotting.
According to the author, “Belize is bijou and it’s often treated as a footnote in guides to the region. My guidebook, exclusively dedicated to Belize, shows that the country offers big adventures.”

Conversational, engaging, and full of unique insights, BELIZE: A GREAT DESTINATION is for the inquisitive, discerning traveler looking to tap into authentic Belizean life. With a primer on Belizean history and contemporary culture, along with an atypical tour of the country’s petite but pulsating former capital, Belize City, meander through Belize’s distinct districts, each with its own identity, natural beauty, and microclimate. Featured side-trips include jaunts to Guatemalan spots—Tikal, Livingston, and Rio Dulce—as well as Cancun and Chetumal in Mexico.

Kate Joynes-Burgess, already an established travel writer and photographer, has published a number of books and articles during her time working abroad. She was the chief contributor to Time Out’s first edition of Mexico City and the Best of Mexico. She has written widely for Travel + Leisure magazine, both in the United States and Mexico. Her lyrical article on Mexico’s copper canyon will shortly feature in the 2011 edition of Travel + Leisure's book 100 Greatest Trips.

Ambergris Today

#398114 - 01/22/11 10:14 AM Re: "Belize: A Great Destination", Kate Joynes-Burgess [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

New guidebook finds adventure throughout Belize

Where in the World is Belize? That used to be the catch phrase over two decades ago to promote the location of the Jewel. But Belize’s location is no longer a secret as thousands of cruise ship tourists take part in packaged tours every week. But for those who wish to spend more than a few hours and actually spend nights and days looking for adventure, there is a new guide book that has been published that could promote more overnight tourists to visit. News Five Spoke via phone to Kate Burgess in the United Kingdom, who wrote the guidebook Belize: A Great Destination.

Via Phone: Kate Joynes-Burgess, Author of Belize: a Great Destination

“My book is called Belize A Great Destination and it is part of the explorers guide series and really what I’ve tried to do with my book is not treat Belize like a one trick pony—where it is just known as a scuba diving destination. What I’ve really done is focus on the country’s great cultural riches so that goes from the Mayan Ruins and rich pre-Hispanic History and then also living culturally—you have so many different communities and cultures that make up the essence of Belize.”

Jose Sanchez

“How long have you been working on it?”

Via Phone: Kate Joynes-Burgess

Kate Joynes-Burgess

“I have been working on the book for a couple years, but I’ve been fascinated with Belize for much longer. I have spent the last decade working on Latin America and Caribbean and why Belize stands out for me and is such an exciting destination is because it brings you the best of both the Caribbean and Latin America.”

Jose Sanchez

“In terms of marketing where do you intend to sell this new guidebook?”

“Well it’s available on Amazon right now and it’s available across the United States and the U.K. and other online retailers. In Belize, we are working with distributors there, we’re speaking with Angelus Press and Orange Gifts and as well with individual hotels and gift shops will be stocking with it.”

Jose Sanchez

“Are there any particular destinations that stood out to you or anything in the service package that made Belize a strong place for visitors?”

“Belize is a kaleidoscope, you know, and it really packs a lot into its tiny territory so it is really hard to pick one destination. For me I have amazing memories of bird watching at dawn, while kayaking in Crooked Tree, sipping cocktails in North Beach in San Pedro and some of the bars there. It’s a fun festival like Garifuna Settlement Day in Dangriga and if you are thinking about Cayo inland adventures with the jungle, the excitements of that, the wildlife. For everyone who has experienced the A.T.M. cave, that is something that is completely unforgettable, very hard to put into words how magical that place is—an eerie but exciting at the same time. And you have this amazing work of natural beauty, relics of human history. So A.T.M. really stands out for me. There is a big selection of exciting destinations in Belize.”

The book will be available in the UK and online at Amazon.com.

Channel 5

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 50 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,687 Topics
461,187 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.