Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#397108 - 01/12/11 04:10 PM Belize Bank Online Notification
Marty Online   happy
From Belize Bank....

It has been brought to our attention that ATM fraud has been identified at our neighboring countries of Mexico and Guatemala. We know that our cardholders frequently visit these countries, in particular Chetumal, and we therefore strongly urge that you be vigilant when using your credit card at ATMs as both your card and PIN can be compromised.

Using your credit or debit card at an ATM is a convenient and safe way to get cash, but we want to ensure that you do it the smart way.

Tips to Prevent Fraud

• Observe your surroundings before using an ATM. If the machine is obstructed from view or poorly lit, visit another ATM.

• Avoid spending a long time counting cash or rummaging through personal items while standing at the ATM.

• Memorize your Personal Identification Number (PIN). Never write the PIN down on anything in your wallet or on the card itself.

• As you key in your PIN, cover the keyboard with the other hand to block anyone or a camera from recording your PIN.

• Don’t use ATMs with unusual signage or instructions, such as a command to enter your PIN twice to complete a transaction.

• Use ATMs with which you’re familiar. We recommend using the ATMs at a bank branch in these countries.

• When using an indoor ATM that requires your card for access, avoid letting unknown people in with you.

• Have your card out and ready to use.

• Take a friend with you - especially at night.

• Report lost or stolen cards immediately, and sign your new or replacement card as soon as you receive it.
• Remember that you can use your card to pay at merchants instead of running the risk of withdrawing cash at an ATM.

If you are suspicious about any ATM, please contact any of your Belize Bank branches or call us directly at the Card Service Center at 227- 7132 ext 334, 302 or 193.

#397143 - 01/12/11 09:43 PM Re: Belize Bank Online Notification [Re: Marty]
Diane Campbell Offline
Good advice worldwide.

And might I add a tip that you may not need, but what the heck --- in Venezuela it is not uncommon to insert your ATM or credit card, do all the normal necessary things correctly, get a receipt for money and get no money at all.

Edited by Diane Campbell (01/12/11 09:43 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

#397146 - 01/12/11 10:24 PM Re: Belize Bank Online Notification [Re: Diane Campbell]
ragman Offline
"in Venezuela it is not uncommon to insert your ATM or credit card, do all the normal necessary things correctly, get a receipt for money and get no money at all."

I think I could retell stories about rip offs in Venezuela for hours. Many sailors I have spent time with have visited Venezuela and have told me their stories. If half of them are true and I'm quite sure they are, that is quite a country for unsupecting visitors.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (RedRover, Marty), 43 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,675 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,057 Topics
462,300 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.