Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses Lodging

Topic Options
#397251 - 01/13/11 11:02 PM Receiving mail and parcels on Caye Caulker
Colindaco Offline
When a person moves to Caye Caulker, do they just show up at the post office and receive a postal box in order to receive mail ?. And does this postal box cost money to activate?.
Also if a person buys something from an online seller, how hard is it to get the item into the country and landed at the post office on Caye Caulker. Does the customs agent at the post office simply remove the packing list and calculate the taxes owing and put a "taxes owing" notification on the parcel.?
Any other postal information both incoming and outgoing would be welcome.
Thank You in advance....

#397271 - 01/14/11 11:06 AM Re: Receiving mail and parcels on Caye Caulker [Re: Colindaco]
gecko_girl Offline
I can't comment on the PO box situation in Caye Caulker but in San Pedro they are like gold dust and there are a couple of private companies providing boxes. But with or without a box, the PO are customs brokers and will clear parcels for you. They will put a notification in your box (one of theirs or a private one), or just in the cubby hole for your surname initial inside the office. When you go to collect they will open the box to make sure it is what it says it is, calculate the duty, GST, etc and you pay them direct. They charge just 75cents belize for this.

But, many online companies will not deliver to Belize and if they do they will try and use a courier company like Fedex or DHL as there seems to be a general distrust in the US of the post office and international delivery. My personal experience is that the post office is the best option, especially as they have offices throughout the country and on the cayes. To solve the problem you can setup a US mailbox, have everything sent there and they will then consolidate it to save on postage and forward it to Belize. I would recommend these guys - - as you can track everything on line, their prices are good and they are super helpful/friendly. I have used them for ages and never had a problem.
HOT Guide Belize - now on your mobile phone! Info, events, discounts & more -

#397274 - 01/14/11 11:32 AM Re: Receiving mail and parcels on Caye Caulker [Re: Colindaco]
Tangles Offline
I've never had a problem sending things to 'myself' in Caye Caulker via friends who live on the island and they just pick it up at the post office when it arrives. But when I purchased something on-line, the company would not send it to Belize directly themselves. I had to incur additional costs by having them send me the parcel to my North American address and then I had to ship it to Caye Caulker. eMLixi or something like it sounds like a good option if you are in Belize full time.

#397298 - 01/14/11 05:56 PM Re: Receiving mail and parcels on Caye Caulker [Re: Colindaco]
Caye Maker Offline
Post to Belize can sometimes go missing for months before it turns up if at all. Most online companies wont send items by regular mail to Belize. Letters are ok if you dont mind a bit of a wait for them to arrive.
I find it best to have a POBOX in USA with a company like (USABOX.COM) then you can order to this address and they will forward the item to Belize city via DHL. Any large heavy items however and you are best to use Hyde Shipping in Miami.

#397346 - 01/14/11 10:15 PM Re: Receiving mail and parcels on Caye Caulker [Re: Colindaco]
gecko_girl Offline
I disagree - in over 10 years I have only had one box that was misdirected to Brazil (BZE/BRZ confusion) - and when I raised it as a problem they (USPS) had the box returned to the US and then sent on to Belize within a week. And believe me when I say I shop a LOT online lol!!

I use these guys ( because they forward it via USPS to Belize (either priority 7 days or express 4 days) which is way more reliable than DHL and it arrives right here in the post office rather than getting it cleared in the city (more expensive brokerage with DHL v the Belize PO) and you don't then have to have it sent (boat or plane) to the cayes. However I do agree that Hyde are excellent for large shipments, but it needs to be several box-loads to justify the broker fees in the City.
HOT Guide Belize - now on your mobile phone! Info, events, discounts & more -

#397350 - 01/14/11 10:52 PM Re: Receiving mail and parcels on Caye Caulker [Re: Colindaco]
Dane Offline
I also ship often. Gecko girl is correct.
Caye maker is also right- regular mail is circus. I get letters in two days and also get Xmas cards in June.
When they set up Express Mail in Belize they have their own handling and Custom agent outside the Belize Post Office.It is quick and reliable and works as described by gecko girl
Fedex has problems in the city. Service is erratic. DHL is too expensive.
On Hyde most folks don't realize that you can ship eight desktop computers for the cost of one. They have a minimum that most home shoppers don't fill.You can pick up small stuff yourself with no broker or a $30 fee at the Customs.

#397360 - 01/15/11 08:37 AM Re: Receiving mail and parcels on Caye Caulker [Re: gecko_girl]
Caye Maker Offline
Gecko, Thanks for the link that company looks pretty cheap. I dont send much small stuff but may consider using them in the future.
Yes Dane it is often the xmas cards that turn up the latest to much amusement when you thank people 6 months late. I guess everyday is xmas on the caye.

#397368 - 01/15/11 09:55 AM Re: Receiving mail and parcels on Caye Caulker [Re: Caye Maker]
SnoopysMom Offline
I use Mailbox Express in San Pedro and find them very easy and pleasant to deal with. You don't have to have a mailbox to be able to ship either. Although I have been baffled by the pricing that customs charges on certain items. Wonder what the price comparison would be....

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
5 registered (Marty, 4 invisible), 84 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,737 Topics
461,308 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory Picture of the Day