Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
M
Originally Posted by jesse
Very few voters inhabit this message board so it has limited ability to effect any change

Actually there are many people who read and monitor this board that never make a post. I on occasion forward certain threads to town councilors. In case you have not noticed our local government and rep seem to favor whoever waves the $FLAG$. Usually foreign investors.

This board is more powerful than you might imagine. It is constantly scanned by google and controversial writings on this board can be found top of first page on google search very shortly after posting on this board. I think all the boards are monitored by individuals as well.

Yes you can vote with your chk books when election time comes. Funding is necessary to get the votes to make the change. It also takes money to challenge some of these actions in court. It is in everyones common good to fight these things. As a group our non voters are far wealthier than our voters and should not be afraid to use that muscle. It kind of levels the playing field somewhat.

There are many here with a vested interest that don't have the right to vote but should still be heard. They have more clout than they think.

S
S
Commonwealth passport is also valid.

M
M
Katie, As you know when you go to vote for Town Board or Mayor the process is just the same as a general election with you showing your Registration card and all parties checking it off the list of registered voters then you ink up and are given your ballot. How does that process work if you dont have a Registration card? Of course you must satisfy the residency and nationality issues before being issued a card.
I am sure many would like to know how a permanent resident foreign national, not Commonwealth or Caricom citizen, can register and vote in Town Council or Village elections. Everyone that is eligible should register and vote. Thanks

I really can't imagine that withholding tax payments will result in a desired outcome.

Organized rabble rousing . . . that should get some attention. Counting on this message board or any other message board, should not even be considered one prong in a 3+ prong approach.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

G
G
You'ld be surprised Seashell! Find all the prongs you want to for as many ways to draw attention to the situation. But, Mike is correct. Many people of influence and with power watch the message boards. I know a Council member, and we have discussed what is written here in the past. So, he obviously reads it.
Also, as ugly as it sounds, getting in faces, and not letting up, has an effect in this country. The one who yells loudest and longest can sometimes get through. Eventully, that's how some things got done when I built my house. It wasn't necessarily nice.

M
M
The written word also has advantages as a clear logical position can be developed. Protests are great for calling attention to problems but usually dont deal with specific remedies that are necessary. It is not enough to be against something. Dialog gives birth to ideas.
The scope of the message boards is tremendous. For example on one of the Belize boards the discussion about off shore drilling had over 2 million views.
It is about the only way to share information and develop ideas with a large group of people.

Last edited by Mike Campbell; 01/20/11 10:30 AM.
Why don't you people see if you can get interviewed by the Belizean media?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

G
G
Ha Ha, do you know what the government does when the media tries to report things the government doesn't like. I've been out of town a bit. Do we have Channel 5 back yet?

S
S
No Gwen...what does the government do? After 6 years publishing the San Pedro Daily I've never had any problems with government interference. You must have a different experience.

Jesse, Are you really going to compare your cut and paste on line news to a TV station that has real interviews and opinions expressed to Belizeans, not a bunch of ex pats and tourists? wink

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 124 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.