Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#397957 - 01/21/11 09:48 AM Novelo’s, The Comeback
Marty Offline
And while the redemption of Derrick Pitts is one thing, it may not be quite as inspiring to hear about the resumption of services for one of those Novelo bus companies.

But it's news none the less that from the ashes of National's receivership, Belize In transit Services Limited has started the trial runs of its new service the Arrow Line. The new line is offering a non-stop premium service at the cost of two dollars from Westlandivar to the Downtown Area. Phillip Jones, PR Manager of the Arrow Line told us more:

Phillip Jones: PR Manager, Arrow Line
"Being true to the fact since we had establish Belize in transit from 1978, they have not been such a service and we had have customers calling in and requesting AC service, so we have put into effect, we had start last week Monday we had put it on a trial basis and we just like to urge the customer, it's not a price hike it's just that it's a different service it's a air condition service it will stop less it will get you from point A to point B much faster and we would like to encourage the general public support this service and if it is successful we plan to roll over this service in the other City to different areas."

Andrea Polanco
"What are some of the areas it's being operated in right now?"

Phillip Jones: PR Manager, Arrow Line
"Presently we have started only presently in the West Landivar area, due to the fact that it has a higher concentration it works for us, you pass the Karl Heusner you have the School zone and facilities West Landivar, Central American Boulevard and downtown, presently."

The Express Van Service will be carried out in the 25-passenger Coaster vans.

Channel 7

#397958 - 01/21/11 09:49 AM Re: Novelo’s, The Comeback [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

David and Tony Novelo double fares for bus route

The price of fuel keeps soaring, premium is selling for a whopping ten dollars and forty nine cents per gallon. Just about everything is going up and if you ride the City, bus you might just have to dig deeper in your pocket. Since Wednesday, a number of commuters, adults as well as school children, have been paying double the fares for a certain route. The price hike was sneaked in by Arrowline, a new service owned by David and Tony Novelo for a route we are told, has not yet been approved by the City Council’s Traffic Department. News Five Marion Ali has this story.

Marion Ali, Reporting

Belize City residents who use the city buses, primarily the Downtown run that goes to West Landivar, are concerned over what seemed to them to be an overnight price hike. Commuters say that the price hike from a dollar for adults has been doubled to two dollars and a dollar for children. They also say that the buses charging the new prices are the ones operated by Lopez Shuttle, owned by Carlos Lopez. But when News Five tracked down Lopez today, we discovered that he has nothing to do with the new prices or the buses.

carlos lopez

Carlos Lopez, Owner, Lopez Shuttle

“My prices stays the same at a dollar for adults and fifty cents for kids. I’ve had several people come to my house last night, several people called inquiring about why Lopez Shuttle raised the price. I want the public know today that the buses that Lopez Shuttle is using is two yellow and white bus and one blue and white bus. The buses that are marked Belize Diesel is not owned by Lopez. Hopefully within a month, all the busses will be painted while based with a yellow stripe.”

Marion Ali

“These are not your buses?”

Carlos Lopez

“These are my buses.”

Marion Ali

“So you purchased new buses now?”

Carlos Lopez

“I got two new buses yes to operate the shuttle buses in Belize City. And the blue and white bus with Pepper’s Pizza is also the bus that I’m operating right now.”

So why are those new buses marked Belize Diesel, no longer being operated by Lopez, you might ask? The reason is all financial, and Lopez’ competitor, has now leased those very same buses from Belize Diesel and is now operating them under a new company, Arrowline. Arrowline has introduced a new run that has its buses traversing along the same path as Lopez’, and is charging two dollars instead of a dollar, for the air-conditioning comfort that it provides.

kevan jenkins

But it is a run for which the Traffic Department is still awaiting a proposal from the operators of Arrowline, according to City Manager, Kevan Jenkins. Jenkins could not confirm with us if under the current traffic regulation a bus company can introduce new prices. Whether it does allow for it or not is not as important as the fact that commuters need to know which bus they’re getting on and how much it costs to reach work, school or home. Marion Ali for News Five.

#397959 - 01/21/11 09:50 AM Re: Novelo’s, The Comeback [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Novelo Brothers’ spokesman says their new routes were approved

And while Kevan Jenkins told us off camera that the Traffic Department has not received any proposal from the Novelo brothers for the new bus run, Spokesperson for Arrowline, Philip Jones, said they have proof of the proposal and did get the approval for it.

Philip Jones, Spokesperson, Arrowline Services

“We have Belize Intransit; we have been running from 1978. We have Belize Intransit and we have the metro. We’ve just introduced the Arrowline, which is an air-conditioned high end coach that offer full air-condition and seats up to thirty passengers. This is a separate service from Belize Intransit and Belize Metro. I would just like to inform the general public that Belize Intransit will still remain at the same price which is a dollar, and Belize Metro. But now the Arrowline will be a dollar for students in uniform and two dollars for adults or passengers who would chose to ride the luxury coach. We want to put modem on these Arrowline coaches so that customers can access wireless internet. We had put the service on a trial basis and we would like to urge the customer that if there is any concern or any complain they can contact me at 632-0182; Philip Jones, at anytime.”

Marion Ali

“What the traffic manager told me that he is not aware of this proposal. Is that an untruth?”

Philip Jones

Philip Jones

“Well, I can’t talk for him, but I can talk for me that I was active in this proposal because I was one of the persons who was an advisor for the proposal at the time and we had made arrangement and approval was granted. So we implemented the service.”

Marion Ali

“This proposal that you’ve provided has no date on it and the traffic manager has told us that they have received no such proposal from the company that you represent. So how then would the company, why would the company go ahead and introduce a run without getting the approval of the Traffic Department?”

Philip Jones

“No well, I can assure you that we had received the approval for the same run, for the same service with the Belize City Council, it was in 2009, July. The City Council is a body and we had had approval.”

Marion Ali

“But those runs aren’t they good only for a while and then expire after that they expire?”

Philip Jones

“Yes well it is depending on the government body or the government official or the councilors, you can issue up to what they choose or say.”

Marion Ali

“How long was it good for?”
Philip Jones

“We had received this from 2009, July up until 2014. But we had submitted the proposal to the City Council and it was approved and we feel that it was time for us to provide this service so we had implemented it since last week Monday. We have been sensitizing the public informing them of the service is an additional service from Belize Intransit and Belize Metro and that it will come at a cost at two dollars for adults and one dollar for students in uniform.”

In tomorrow’s newscast we’ll have more from the Traffic Department.

Channel 6

#398117 - 01/22/11 10:19 AM Re: Novelo’s, The Comeback [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Are Two Dollar Busses Legal?

Last night we told you about Arrow Line, the new deluxe bus service that Belize In transit Services introduced last week. Well a dollar won't get you on that bus, you'll need two dollars. While some raised their eyebrows at the cost wondering if it's legit, today we spoke with Dean Samuels, Councilor responsible for traffic and he told us that residents have the option to choose which buses they want to ride because the dollar buses will still be operating in the area.

Dean Samuels: Councilor
"I understand that Mr. Jones said on the news last night, it's something optional that they have other buses at the regular price, just that, that service to ride the AC buses or something the price varies really. And so it's not mandatory for you to ride that bus."

Andrea Polanco
"Last night when we spoke to Mr. Phillip Jones, he said that they had the official approval from the City Council to be running Arrow Line, but then we understand that they need another approval from the ministry of transport, from the transport board."

Dean Samuels
"So this is exactly what I am saying. We at the traffic department have given recommended routes to different road service providers, recommended routes this will be your routs here and there. But these routes up to now has not been approved by national transport to say this is your road service permit, and the road service permits is what makes the route legal. We made recommendation to them, called them in said this is your route and that was what was issued. So basically, just my understanding on that."

Andrea Polanco
"So is it safe to say then that they are operating illegal at this time?"

Dean Samules: Councilor
"I would not say them, I would say everybody right now within the City, you can say to some extent is operating illegally because no one really has road service permit as yet. Which like what I said we are working on presently at this moment to resolve this matter by early February to provide these providers with road service permits."

Andrea Polanco
"So what's the holdup with the road service permit?"

Dean Samuels: Councilor
"Really and truly the truth is policies have to be set, regulations, so that really is what we are working on. To regulate the system we have to put policies in place which will govern the road service permit for these providers, so we call them in and we explain to them what would be their routes and what would be their policies, first to run these routes key write off like what I've said the buses has to be color coded and the three strike will be in effect once the policies are broken that your road service permit can be taken away. So presently we are putting those together and sending to national transport for their approval, again they will review these and then give these road service permit."

It must be noted that those operating busses right now won't necessarily get automatic approval from the Transport Board, which is reviewing the city's service permits and will make its decisions known sometime next month.

Channel 7

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
More News...
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Facebook
SanPedroScoop

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
Belize Adventure
Romantic Travel
Building a New Life
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Snorkel from the beach at Tranquility Bay Resort - Belize Snorkeling - Belize Dive Resort
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Black Orchid Restaurant & Lounge, Our mission is To Provide each and every Guest with a Pleasant Dining Experienceg
Mini Chat

Low Air Fares
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
5 registered (JaHo, 4 invisible), 93 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
17416 Members
44 Forums
57361 Topics
443182 Posts

Max Online: 1262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.