Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#398536 - 01/26/11 03:11 PM Justice Denies Barrow returns to private practice
Marty Offline
Press Release - Belmopan - 25th January, 2011 - The Government of Belize announces that Justice of Appeal Denys Barrow has decided to return to private practice. He has therefore tendered, to the Governor-General, his resignation from the Court of Appeal with effect from 28th February, 2011.

The Government of Belize thanks Justice Barrow for the services he rendered to the Court and the Country during his tenure, and wishes him well in his return to the private Bar.

A statement from Justice Barrow is below:

Statement by Denys Barrow on his return to private practice

By letter dated 24th January 2011 I conveyed to His Excellency the Governor General my decision to return to private practice as an attorney at law. The resignation is to take effect from 28th February.

The decision stems from the refusal of the Government of St Lucia to pay pension benefits due to me upon my retirement, two years ago, as a Court of Appeal judge in the Eastern Caribbean. Matters reached the point where I was forced to file a claim on 14th January 2011 against the Government of St Lucia which has been simply ignoring the claim, latterly refusing to even acknowledge receipt of letters of inquiry.

Having returned at the end of 2008 to Belize and to private practice, I later decided I could afford to leave private practice and become a judge in Belize because I treated the expected pension benefits as part of my financial resources. That expectation having been removed, I must now adjust. Hence, my decision to return to practice.

I express my gratitude to the Government of Belize for the honour conferred on me by the appointment. I am especially grateful for the confidence and support members of the public, on both sides of the political divide, expressed on my appointment and during my tenure. It took courage for the Prime Minister, Hon. Dean Barrow, to appoint his brother to the judiciary and no less courage for the Leader of the Opposition, Hon. John Briceno, to support that appointment. I salute them.

I am confident that the Court of Appeal under its new President, the Honourable Manuel Sosa, with the support of its new member, the Honourable Sir Brian Alleyne, and its newly re-appointed member, the Honourable Dennis Morrison, will continue to provide satisfaction to the nation in delivering justice.

Denys Barrow SC - 25th January 2011
#398537 - 01/26/11 03:13 PM Re: Justice Denies Barrow returns to private practice [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

JUSTICE BARROW RESIGNS

The government of Belize today announced that Justice Denys Barrow has tendered his resignation as a justice of the Belize Court of Appeal. According to a brief government statement, Justice Barrow’s resignation is with effect from February twenty eight and that he will be returning to private practice. In an accompanying statement, Justice Barrow went into details as to why he decided to step down and return to private practice. Barrow’s statement said that he had filed a claim on January 14, against the government of St. Lucia because of that country's government's refusal to pay him pension benefits due to him upon his retirement two years ago as a Court of Appeal judge in the Eastern Caribbean. Barrow's statement said that the St. Lucia government has, quote, been simply ignoring the claim, latterly refusing to even acknowledge receipt of letters of inquiry," end of quote. Because of the nonpayment of his benefits, Justice Barrow says that he is forced to return to private practice in Belize, and as a result he has tendered his resignation as a judge of the Belize Court of Appeal to Governor General Sir Colville Young. The statement goes on to say, quote: "having returned at the end of 2008 to Belize and to private practice, I later decided I could afford to leave private practice and become a judge in Belize because I treated the expected pension benefits as part of my financial resources. That expectation having been removed, I must now adjust. Hence, my decision to return to practice," end of quote. The statement ends by conveying gratitude to the government of Belize, particularly the Prime Minister for the courage in proposing his appointment of his own brother to the judiciary and to the leader of the Opposition for supporting that appointment. The Senior Counsel says that he is confident that the Court of Appeal under its new president Manuel Sosa, with the support of new members Sir Brian Alleyne and the newly re-appointed member Dennis Morrison, will continue to provide satisfaction to the nation in delivering justice.

LOVEFM

#398545 - 01/26/11 03:30 PM Re: Justice Denies Barrow returns to private practice [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

“Brother Barrow” Resigns From Court Of Appeal

It came as a surprise around noon today when news broke that Justice Denys Barrow had very suddenly resigned from the Court Of Appeal after only 18 months on the bench.

Barrow was to have served until the age of 75 - and he is only 59 - but he today announced that he is returning to private practice - after his resignation takes effect on February 28th.

Why? Well, the explanation offered by Barrow himself in a detailed statement is that, quote, (look down): "The decision stems from the refusal of the Government of St Lucia to pay pension benefits due to me upon my retirement, two years ago, as a Court of Appeal judge in the Eastern Caribbean….the Government of St Lucia…has been simply ignoring the claim…."

It continues:

"…I later decided I could afford to leave private practice and become a judge in Belize because I treated the expected pension benefits as part of my financial resources. That expectation having been removed, I must now adjust. Hence, my decision to return to practice".

So there it is, Barrow is leaving the highest court in the land basically because he can't afford to stay on. In leaving after a year and a half, he thanks the Government of Belize for the honour of the appointment, and bigs up his brother, the Prime Minister, saying, quote, "It took courage for the Prime Minister, Hon. Dean Barrow, to appoint his brother to the judiciary and no less courage for the Leader of the Opposition, Hon. John Briceno, to support that appointment. I salute them."

A graceful departure capped off by an expression of confidence in the first Belizean President of the court, Manuel Sosa. But it's not all that tidy. Barrow's tenure which started in August of 2009 suffered a setback in March of 2010, when his brother judges on the Court Of Appeal found that there was the appearance of bias in a case involving the Public Utilities Commission, which his son Kimano sits on. Going forward from there it was clear that Justice Barrow would have difficulty sitting on weighty matters involving the Government because it may be seen to involve his brother, The Prime Minister - and again raise the possibility of appearance of bias.

It was an unfortunate outcome for the man considered to be Belize's most eminent homegrown jurist.

And now, Barrow is moving on…and as he does, it will be a matter of some interest to see if the highly regarded senior counsel, now in private practice, will take on any of government's litigation load.

Channel 7

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,675 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,060 Topics
462,316 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.