Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#398823 - 01/29/11 12:52 AM Water taxi to San Pedro
lainey Offline
I saw that there's a Belize Express that leaves Chetumal to San Pedro every day. We're planning on busing from Playa del Carmen to Chetumal and catching that water taxi. Anything I should know? We're flying to Playa from Denver, staying a couple of days, then on to Ambergris for 8-10 days before returning to Playa to head home. Thanks so much in advance.

#398832 - 01/29/11 02:58 AM Re: Water taxi to San Pedro [Re: lainey]
MisterB266 Offline
There are two water taxi services between San Pedro and Chetumal (see websites for schedules & fares):

a) San Pedro Water Jets International:
http://www.sanpedrowatertaxi.com/index.html

b) San Pedro – Belize Express:
http://www.belizewatertaxi.com/

One departs at 3 pm, and the other departs at 3:30 pm. Trip time: 90 minutes.

The San Pedro – Belize Express Water Taxi has a connecting water taxi from San Pedro to Caye Caulker.

It's about 4.5 hours from Playa to Chetumal, so get an early start -- try to get to the water taxi office before 2pm.

In Chetumal, water taxis use the main pier, “Muelle Fiscal”, which is close to the big Government building, “Palacio Gobierno”, at the waterfront. On my BelizeBus site, check the map of Chetumal for the locations of the ADO bus terminal and the pier. The pier is also visible on Google Earth.

If arriving in Chetumal at the ADO bus terminal, there is (or was) a little booth inside the terminal where you can get water taxi information. You could probably buy a ticket there, but you might get pushed into an overpriced taxi. I’d just go outside to get a taxi, and buy a ticket at the pier.

It’s about 3.5 km from the ADO terminal to the pier. A taxi should take about 10 minutes, and cost about MX$15 (that’s pesos). The taxi driver might not know about the water taxi, but he/she will know the pier. Write it down if you can’t pronounce it.

Get to the pier at least 30 minutes before departure time for immigration processing. There is no exit fee/tax when you depart Mexico. No fee upon entry to Belize (you pay to get out!).

When you get to the pier, ask for the price at both companies -- sometimes they will give a discount if they see you going to the other office (the offices are around the corner from each other).

http://belizebus.wordpress.com/

#398834 - 01/29/11 03:15 AM Re: Water taxi to San Pedro [Re: lainey]
MisterB266 Offline
Also be aware that there are 2 bus terminals in Playa.

If you get the ADO Riviera shuttle bus from the airport to Playa, you will arrive at a bus terminal on 5th Ave (near the beach).

When you go to Chetumal, you depart from the other terminal (called Alterna). On my BelizeBus site, there is a link to a map of Playa showing the locations of the 2 terminals. The bus ticket can be purchased from either terminal -- I'd suggest the 5th Ave terminal because the staff speak better English.

I would recommend that you buy your ticket the day before you travel -- first, just to reserve a place, and second, to choose your seat -- I prefer being near the front passenger side (not the driver's side) for the view out the front & side windows.

#398898 - 01/29/11 07:27 PM Re: Water taxi to San Pedro [Re: lainey]
Islenutt Offline
Thanks for the great info! We are doing the same trip very soon.

#399625 - 02/05/11 07:41 PM Re: Water taxi to San Pedro [Re: MisterB266]
lainey Offline
That's perfect - just the info I was looking for. Thanks so much.

#399821 - 02/08/11 07:17 PM Re: Water taxi to San Pedro [Re: lainey]
tacogirl Offline
I just San Pedro Chetumal water taxi recently it was a smooth ride.

http://tacogirl.com/2011/01/water-taxi-from-san-pedro-ambergris-caye-belize-to-chetumal-mexico/

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
4 registered (Jameela01, Marty, 2 invisible), 43 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,083 Topics
462,384 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.