Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#398867 - 01/29/11 11:45 AM Amandala Editorial
Marty Online   happy
On her Sunday morning radio/television show, Ya Ya Marin Coleman interviewed a young mother from the Banak/Mayflower Streets area. This is a very tough area indeed, and the realities on the ground can be chilling. There is a difficult decision which faces young mothers in such areas. Does a young mother allow her growing sons to run with the herd, so to speak, or does she fight to confine her growing sons within her individual sphere of control, for their own ultimate good?

From her vantage point, the young mother from Banak/Mayflower can see that the herd of male youth is rushing towards crime, jail and destruction. The thing is that the attraction of the herd is magnetic for the individual boy. From an early age, boys want to be part of the action which involves the majority contemporary group. Ideally, that majority contemporary group is their class group at whichever school they attend.

In very tough areas, however, the children stop attending school at an early age. If they do attend school, many of them do so inconsistently and half-heartedly. Whether they are in school or out of school, leaders and heroes begin to emerge from groups of boys anywhere and everywhere. There is an energy within the group which dominates individual tendencies. You see that in all animal life. Birds fly in flocks; fish swim in schools; lions run in prides.

Every now and then, you will find individual prodigies who become separated from their group at an early age. The internationally famous example of this was Michael Jackson. He came from a poor family, and Michael was still a child when his father saw that the child’s gifts in music and dance could lift the whole family out of poverty. The result of this was that Michael was separated from his group of contemporaries. The group went their way, and Michael went his. Even though Michael became rich and famous, that separation from his group had an adverse effect on Michael’s growth and development as a person.

Whatever the specific group is, is a product of the socio-economic history and realities in the specific neighborhood. Now this is what you have to understand: in capitalist societies, and Belize is one such, the dominant energy is the determination of those who have accumulated wealth and power to preserve that wealth and power, while gathering even more. In Belize, therefore, there exists a ruling class of people who are happy with the status quo and wish for that status quo to be projected as an order of things which is right, natural and good. The ruling class of Belizeans, as in other capitalist societies, do not wish for the prevailing order of things to be criticized in any way, because it is that prevailing order of things which has provided the enabling environment for their accumulation of wealth and power. They do not want any criticism of the status quo, and they do not want change.

So now, in areas like Mayflower/Banak, successive groups or generations of young boys are coming out of a matrix of poverty and hunger. Their energy is directed towards finding food and sustenance, by any means necessary. They cannot wait until a projected high school graduation six, seven, eight years down the road, one reason being that such a projected high school graduation does not guarantee them a job. You cannot deny the reality: thousands of Belizean high school graduates are unemployed.

Successive groups of young boys coming out of very tough areas begin to find themselves in trouble with the law at a young age. This is the way it has been in Mayflower/Banak going for three decades now. “The law” is who is paid, to put it brutally, by the wealthy and powerful to protect their wealth and their power. Early on, the young boys from the very tough areas begin to see the law as their enemy.

In order to save her young sons from the fate she has seen befall too many of the young males in her neighborhood, the young mother interviewed on Ya Ya’s show has decided to use as much discipline as she can and whenever she has to use it, in order to force her sons towards the straight and narrow. Let us say that she succeeds. One of her sons becomes a preacher, and one becomes a lawyer. The price of their success will have been some alienation from their group. They will have had to develop a thinking separate and different from that of the group. They will have had to become apologists for the wealthy and powerful, or, at least, they will have had to learn to be silent in the face of oppression and injustice. They will have been made into bourgeoisie.

When I was a young boy, it was seen that I had some academic talent. I was the oldest of nine children. Our ‘hood was not as tough as Mayflower/Banak, but my mother decided that, for my own good, I would be kept out of the ‘hood, away from my street group of contemporaries. In school, as a result of being “skipped” two or three times, I ended up with classmates who were older than I was. I was to be an exception in order to guarantee my “success.” Sacrifices had to be made. The main sacrifice was separation from the group. My success was achieved. But, only for a little while. What went wrong? I missed my group, and so, I suppose, I had to find one, which I did.

I sincerely wish the young mother, Rosalie, all the best in her struggle. The thing is, if she succeeds, the propagandists for the Belizean wealthy and powerful will use her sons as proof that the present system is actually good, that anybody can make it if he/she tries, and proof that those who went astray did not have to do so. Propagandists for oppression and injustice will then benefit from this young mother’s extreme sacrifice, determination and ambition, to argue that everything is “curry.” It is not.

Understand me, please. It is written in the Bible. What does it profit a man to gain the world and lose his soul? Some of you who have fought the good fight and achieved success, some of you who have risen out of poverty to become members of Belize’s ruling class, I can see that you don’t remember those from your old neighbourhood, I can see that you consider them losers. You sniff on them from above and from afar. Brethren and sistren, you have gained the world and lost your soul. It is written.

Power to the people. Power in the struggle.

#398878 - 01/29/11 12:15 PM Re: Amandala Editorial [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy
Belize’s Farrakhan, in paraphrase

February 9 will mark 42 years since the founding of UBAD, the organization which laid the foundation for Amandala, the newspaper which became Belize’s leading publication in 1981. We have said that UBAD laid the foundation for Amandala, because the fledgling newspaper could not have survived without the street strength of UBAD.

Just six months after the newspaper was established, the two UBAD officers responsible for the newspaper, Evan X Hyde and Ismail Omar Shabazz, were arrested and charged for seditious conspiracy because of an Amandala article. The law under which they were charged was a repressive colonial law, but the ruling and supposedly anti-colonial People’s United Party (PUP) had no qualms about using the same law which had imprisoned their leaders in 1951, to try to imprison the UBAD leaders in 1970. Amandala was only a four-page, mimeographed newsletter in 1970, so the sedition trial in July of that year may appear a case of overkill to historians.

The reality was that between June and September of 1969, UBAD had attracted the largest public meeting crowds seen in the old capital for some time. Beginning in October of 1969, an ill-fated coalition between UBAD and the People’s Action Committee (PAC) had seen UBAD’s popularity diminish. In January of 1970, however, UBAD ended the coalition. The seditious conspiracy arrests took place just weeks later. In the months leading up to the trial, UBAD’s popularity returned, and then some.

The street strength of UBAD no doubt contributed to the acquittals of X Hyde and Shabazz. Against the advice of Shabazz, X Hyde took a decision to take UBAD political in the aftermath of the trial. As a political party, UBAD reached the zenith of its street strength from May to October of 1972, but internal contradictions and petty personality disputes saw the organization divide, fatally so, over the issue of whether to join the new Unity Congress in early 1973. (The Unity Congress became the United Democratic Party [UDP] in September 1973.)

When UBAD collapsed in November of 1974, Evan X Hyde, as president, gained control of the organization’s assets, which were the land on Partridge Street and a 20’ x 30’ building, which has since been demolished. Using those assets and his personal investment in a Chandler and Price letterpress, Hyde began to build Amandala. By 1981, to repeat, Amandala became the leading newspaper here, and it has so remained.

The former UBAD land, with the support of the newspaper, became the home of Belize’s first private, commercial radio station in 1989. KREM Radio was subsidized by this newspaper from 1989 to 1998.

The KREM Television experiment, which began in 2003, has been subsidized by the newspaper and the radio station. As with the latter two, KREM Television began life in a severely undercapitalized condition, and the business experts will tell you that this is the worst way to begin a business. What it means is that any money you make, has to go back into urgent and mandatory technology upgrade.

The secret to survival in such an undesirable situation has been the recurrent support from the masses of the Belizean people, who have recognized the Kremandala system as one which is indigenous, authentic and nationalistic. The road of self-financing in an oppressed society is a difficult one, but there is a positive side. The positive side is that your overall structure, no matter how small, is strong, because its foundation and its internals are genuine and solid.

It has now become clear that the globalist financial mogul of British origin, Lord Michael Ashcroft, who has claimed that he loves Belize and Belizeans, represents the direct historical antithesis to Kremandala. A burden of philosophical proof lies on those Belizeans who aspire to leadership of the Belizean people, but insist on swimming in Lord Ashcroft’s money. Where is the proof that the Lord of Chichester loves Belize? If he is always throwing a little here and grabbing a lot there, who is benefiting? Belize or Lord Michael?

The people of Belize are not formally educated in the main, but our people have become politically sophisticated. This does not mean that Belizeans are liberated, because Belize’s two-party system of parliamentary democracy has proven to be a farce on the ground. As it operates in Belize, our system of government makes virtual dictators of our Prime Ministers.

There is little Belize can do about what has been, effectively since 1961, one-man rule, but there is something that we can and will do about Lord Ashcroft. As it is, it appears that the Lord owns most of one of the two major political parties, and much of the other. What he does not own, is Kremandala. We would close with the words of Belizean Rudolph Farrahkan, in paraphrase: Those who come to destroy the House of Kremandala, themselves shall be destroyed.

Power to the people. Power in the struggle.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
5 registered (RedRover, Mike Campbell, wade the gringo, Shyboy, 1 invisible), 44 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,636 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,724 Topics
461,271 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.