Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#398915 - 01/30/11 01:52 AM Historical chit chat between friends... old timers
Marty Offline
CAYE CAULKER TOURIST HISTORY

The Hideaway Lodge was the first hotel on Caye Caulker. The photo is there on my BLOG. An eight bedroom affair upstairs and a downstairs dining room, bar, kitchen,etc. It was built about 1965 or 1967, by the son of a man who owned a drugstore in Belize City. The son came back from the USA when his old man died and converted the drugstore into a USA style emporium. Previously it had been a dark hole, with cardboard boxes in the entryway and all over. The drugstore went bust in the port, as the customers didnīt like sliding cheerful glass doors and stuff modern style. They thought he must be overcharging. The guy came and talked to me and built the hotel you see in the photo. I forget the date or year exactly but he sold out and went back to the USA. He was a Franco, Sabido, or something else. Canīt remember his name. But he had the hotel for 2 or three years and I bought the two deed pieces and hotel building for $18,000 Bz, which was a fortune at that time around 1969, or so. I got the money by selling shares in Island Traders Co. Ltd. at $500 each to my tourist friends who were guests at the time. They got dividend certificates for so many free days vacation each year from the company, depending on investment size. Many just liked me and put in $500 and forgot about it and I never saw them again. Most became very close friends. It is still that way in the tourist business. Everybody but me are dead now. Itīs all in making guests feel like family, or close friends. Leo Peachy owned the next piece on the beach, an Englishman, and he sold me the extra triangle to make the lot a sort of trapezoid, nearly rectangular.. He in turn had bought the hotel from the original owner/builder. I bought from Leo Peachy. I believe it was 1968 or 69. Donīt remember, but it was late 1990īs when my daughters were seeking to build their own homes on the Caye and businesses and I put the property into a 99 year Auxillou TRUST. They canīt sell it, or lien it, and the land is owned in common. By that time, I just had a day trip snorkel business and small two piece wood home on the property. Tina built her hostel and tore down my shacks. She had previously been operating for five years on rented property further up the beach, but it got sold from under her. I got bored with the Caye and left to do something else. Iīd been divorced and at loose ends. I spent some years sailing and building boats in the Bahamas and Eastern Caribbean. Eight or nine years ago, I planned to return to Belize in old age and retirement. Five years ago, my newer wife and I made it fact and are quite content here in Western Belize. We live upper middle class on what would be a HOMELESS personīs budget in the USA. Could never make it in the USA, we would have to live in a car. Now that beach property has two sets of condos, eight in all, a guesthouse two story and a hostel. Tina and Diane are the only ones expanding on the Caye with new piece of property. Tina, Sharon and Wendy have properties out West here nowadays. Someday their children who are now in their 20īs and 30īs going to College, or University will become TRUSTEEs of that property and probably divide up their grandmotherīs holdings as well. So it is hoped the home village of Caye Caulker will continue to be the base of the AUXILLOU CLAN. ( grin! )
Caye property is like owning your own small gold mine. You can never starve, there is always food in the sea and someway to make a few pennies to buy rice and kerosene. Which is all you need to be happy.

Ray AUXILLOU

The Hideaway Hotel was later lost in a fire, to be replaced years later with those shacks of which Ray speaks. I spent my childhood in that hotel and riding around Belize's seas in my dad's hand-made boat, the Atoll Queen.

his daughter Wendy

Fascinating, Ray!

Celi McCorkle opened the Holiday Hotel in San Pedro in 1965, which is usually claimed to be the first hotel on Ambergris Caye (though Reef Colony had been built earlier but was destroyed by Hattie before it opened). Wonder if the Hideaway Lodge opened before or after Celi's place?

--Lan Sluder

Celiīs husband John Grief and I were contemporaries and more or less developed tourism in tandem ( same years ). We were friends and often did similar business deals together. We also shared tourists and a lot of our friends and guests would stay with both of us from time to time and enter into adventurous speculation, like buying pine house lumber from Puerto Cortez with the Winnie Estelle ( boat ) and the guests or tourists would chip in to buy the load and share in the profits, which were mostly non-existant, but we had a hell of a lot of fun and adventure, when most of Central America and Honduras was into revolutions and civil wars. John had the idea he was going to turn Ambergris Caye into Barbados, I on the other hand, wanted Caye Caulker to ban vehicles and forbid the selling of lots to foreign ownership. For the most part, the beach on Caye Caulker still is like that. My vision was similar to some Northern islands in Lake Superior, wherein no motorized traffic should be allowed. To keep the quaintness and charm of the place. It was paradise, why spoil it.

The British maps of the day, did call it CAYE CORKER. But I changed that and in all my advertising I called it Caye Caulker. The spelling was gradually corrected over the decades. The island had been a sailboat building capital of British Honduras for a century or two. Boats were built on the beach. Caulking is what you pound with a mallet, a fiber type rope of material to stop water leaks between planks. The most famous boat builders in Central America were on the island. These were the Young brothers. Peter Young, Simeon Young, Reuben Alamina, his father, Wendyīs grandfather Valentine Alamina, Reuban Alamina who is still alive and Wendy or Tina have a video of him playing a guitar at a family gathering over the holidays in his 80īs. I learned from these old time boat builders. Then different of them gave me a few technical boat building books to learn from. These people were famous from Nicaragua to Campeche. A sailboat built by them took years to build. At least three years. I took about 2.5 years to build a wood boat on average, of different sizes. Atoll Queen in the photo took me that long, and cost for the hull and paint about $2500, ( not counting labor ) which I would scrape the money together $5 at a time and invest in planking, or framing lumber. One diesel originally came from my previous boat the 24 ft cabin cruiser SAILFISH which was a single cylinder Volvo Penta 7 hp. and guests bought shares in the hotel operation, which financed the second diesel for this twin diesel motorsailer, a 15 hp Volvo Penta with a 3.5 reduction gear and a 19 inch prop. I could beat everybody around. I would go anywhere to sea exploring with my tourist guests stockholders. They and I loved it. It took me about 11 years to explore all the islands and atolls and rivers in Belize by boat. I had shallow draft to get across the river bars. For long trips such as to Cuba, or the Bay Islands, I would carry drums of diesel on the side deck of the boat and siphon fuel into the standard small 4 gallon fuel tanks these small engines had.

Ray

======

You're talking about all these hotels that were pioneers in the tourism industry in Belize, but I see no mention of the Continental Hotel, Smith's Hotel or La Vida Alegre. Everyone growing up in Belize knows that those hotels had a lot to do with tourism as well. Or perhaps it was whorism? Can't remember.

a friend
============

Those were port town hotels and yes they were CAT HOUSES and in the case of the Continental, the girls were free to come and go. Many had worked in places as diverse as London and Amsterdam on their travels. It was also a night club and would swing on a weekend for a diverse crowd, including me and my wife and I did magic shows there at midnight on Saturday night. The Vida Alegra was always a cat house, but the girls were white slaves, tricked into arriving and kept in place by debt peonage and controlled by the port town Central Police station. They would be beaten if they tried to leave by the police. I forget the name of the Corporal who was the main bully boy. The churches of the time and George Price condoned the Vida Alegre as a slave place. That was the port town though, not the rest of Belize, or the Cayes. the girls from the Continental were professionals and had medical cards and all that, just like required all through Latin countries were prostitution is recognized as legal.

Ray

I don't even remember a Palace Hotel, just the Palace Theater. Where was that one located?
OK, now you got an old man (72) trying to remember what a 17-year-old saw. Best I can recall, the Palace Hotel was on Front Street, same side of the street, and fairly close to, the Post Office (Paslow Building). My recollection is that the hotel -- bar in particular -- was home to a lot of expats.

=====

Ahhha! I place it now. The Palace had been an abandoned building and without fixing it up, some guy on the run from the USA had to stay out of the states for two years or three years. He opened the CAT HOUSE and bar in this abandoned building, never fixed it up, just used it as is. The girls were free to come and go. Smiths hotel,was just a one story set of wood and zinc shacks joined together and cost $1.50 for short time ( one hour ) It was used by city girl street sex workers. You paid by the hour. You would be asked long time, or short time. The Continental was both a night club and a cat house and catered to upscale clientele. Run by Dicki Gardner.

Ray

====

Bamboo Bay with the white catfish was the old soldier hang-out... always had fights. These soldiers were sent to Belize after their stint in Africa to cool off before they were sent back to England.

=====

Paapi had the best syrup!

Best goat shit and cotobrute from the lady on Castle Street.

Best pepitos from the lady at Holy Redeemer (an Espat I think).

Roy for oranges!

Gonz for panades!

Nice and Nasty!

Good times fi reel!

=======

Oh mein! My favorite street-side fruit was always puuk-unu-bwai (sp?)... Still love that fruit. That and governor plum with salt, pepper and lime.

---
paapi had the best syrup..on north front street beside where the fisherman's cooperative is now.
then we used to buy rapadora in front of Hop Sing on the corner now occupied by Hofuis. the guys would also be there selling iguanas and other country stuff.
Then we used to buy tableta, cotobrute and the best goatshit from a lady close to St. Ignacious.
And does anyone remember the little shop at the corner of Cemetery Road and Amara Avenue that used to specialize in the comic books. Loved the little ones with Jeb and a ghost in his tank. awww, the memories....

======

I don't recall Mr. Shamah having his drug store/restaurant on Albert Street.

My first memories of Mr. Shamah was also across from the Police Station on Queen Street, right before Valencia's which was on the corner of New Road and Queen Street. It was also where Rick Robateau used to have his liquor store and record shop.

After Willy Wiley burnt down, Mr. Shamah then moved to New Road, right next to the kinnel across from Holy Redeemer back yard. Valencia's moved further down on New Road, two houses from the corner of Pickstock Street.

=====

I always thought the best tableta, cottobrute and goatshit was from Mr. Hislop, across from Full Moon Bevas on Hyde's Lane. Always stopped in there on my way to or from Holy Redemeer school.

And the best fudge was from Bredda Roy who used to sell from his push cart across from Holy Redeemer.

=============

you northsiders had your best and us southsiders had our best. vaguely remember the Hyde's Lane stuff but the lady by "Natius mih dih bring it!
===========

You are correct. Shamah was on Queen Street. Down from the bakery..llyons??

Anyone remember Don Marin..... Used to sell golden plum wid pepper salt?

============

That was Hood's bakery, which was behind the Friendship Youth Association (FYA), across from Independence Hall (PUP Headquarters). FYA was founded by Fr. Panton. You should remember him. He used to join us in the old Belize Kolcha chatroom back about 13 - 15 years ago. He was living in Jamaica at the time and was the senior bishop or something like that for a parish in Montego Bay. I met him in July 2001 when I was vacationing in Mo Bay. His parish was about 1/2 mile down the hill from the hotel where we stayed. I just happened to be walking down the hill one morning and saw the sign with his name on it so I decided to drop in later on and visit.

===========

Woods Bakery with the pointed titty bread....delicious
Lyons was on Cemetery Road at the spot that eventually became Continental, later Textile and now a Hardware Store.
Don Marin was a legend and so was Don Charlie who was the caretaker of Holy Redeemer Lower for many, many years.
Smelllshit Roy had the bicycle cart across the street in front of Distributors. There was an old trick that worked everytime. We would approach as a group and one who tease him and when he chased that one, the others would help themselves to orange and sweet.
Bredda Roy is still around and looks the same as he always did. Now runs stuff for folks from the market in his bicycle cart. Not sure if it is the same one that he always had.

============

yes, yes you're right....Hoods not Woods. FYA was the spot at one time. Had some super dances on Saturday nights. Where I once met one of Steve Swasey's sisters and was the lightest dance I ever had. I have never forgotten that dance. I wasn't bad on my feet myself and went through thousands of dance partners but that girl could dance. I have met a couple of his sisters but for the life of me, cannot remember which one it is now. Maybe I should ask them to dance one at a time.

==============

That "titty" bread, you break off the end, pull out the soft inside and pour condensed milk into it!

==========

Hot bread and condense milk....my boy that was absolutely sinful.
Did I tell you about the time when I got myself locked in at Lyon's Bakery? Figured I would eat a few breads and then sneak out. The door was padlocked from outside so I had to spend the entire night.
Well, not one to waste an opportunity and with an insatiable appetite, I ate up one isle and down the other. I ate no backs, only middles....then I washed it down with the sugar and water that they used to paste on the buns and make them shine. Then I ate some more, and more and by the time they opened the door in the morning, I could not move.
I just laid on the floor and groaned. This time, they had gone to the Police and were looking for me all over town.
I have not received the kind of ass whipping I did that entire week and would hope not to ever again do. But for that one night, it was heaven!!!!

--------

Enrique De Leon:

Go way, way back. I'm talking bout playing hide and seek at dusk, sitting on the veranda, eating hot Creole bread and butter. Seferino, Eustace Usher and Everall Waight on Radio Belize. Red light, Green light (those are games, we had no traffic lights in Belize). Powder milk (AKA Klim) and a potted meat sandwich for lunch was dandy. Kottobrute, tableta, stretch-mi-guts, wangla and goatshit for candy. Boil corn and ducuno from Fullmoon Bevas on Hydes Lane. Macobi (pepitos) seeds from Bredda Roy or Don Marin at Holy Redeemer. Playing caparuche or gamma in the neighbour's yard, Hopscotch, marbles, ludo, snake and ladder, Jacks, cricket, Mother May I, Say, Say, Say and Ring around the Roses. Hula Hoops and racing bicycle rims. Bradley's lemonade (all flavors were lemonade) and 2 panades for 5 cents. Dit's meat pies (1 for 5) and Happy Hour's cowfoot soup (only 35). Black shoe polish on mustaches to get into Eden, Majestic, or Palace, Crossing kinnel iron, a nude dip at barracks. The smell of the sun and lickin' salty lips.

THOSE WERE THE DAYS IN BELIZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.Do you remember the ole days when stay all day playing basketball da Decon Ball Court.... and when your mah wud cuz we out and send we to hell..... those were the days when we escape fi go da cancha dance....LOL. those were the days.....

I'm not finished just yet. Eating Klim with sugar, kawsham too. Remember when... The sneakers at Bata for girls and boys were called puss? And you were ashamed to wear them at school cause they only cost a dollar? When it took five minutes for the transitor radio to warm up? And you listened to championship fights and that was fun? When nearly everyone's Mom was at home when the kids got there? When every kid owned some type of dog? And how you cried when they poisoned yours? When five cents was a decent allowance, and 10 cents a miracle? When Saldivar bread went up 2 cents and everyone talked about it for weeks? When you lined up outside Jail at 5:00 AM for hot jail bread? When you'd reach into a stinking, muddy drain for a penny? When girls neither dated nor kissed until late high school? And jukking behind convent or up by Haulover was cool? When girls wore quindolyn to church every Sunday? And your clothes were always clean and pressed, even though you didn't have many? And we'd all have to be at the 8:30 AM mass on Sunday or else? When you got brawta from the grocery store regardless of how much you bought? And 12 cents American cheese and a pack bread fed a family of 8? When laundry detergent had free glasses, dishes or towels hidden inside the box? When any parent could whap any kid and nobody, not even the kid, gave it any thought? When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited you at home? When you wore two or more pairs of short pants under your long pants to ease the sting from that sash corn or tambran whip from one of your male teachers? When we were in fear for our lives but it wasn't because of drive by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc? When our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat? When you didn't dare talk back to your parents, at least not to their face? Didn't that feel good? Just to go back and say, yeah, I remember that! There's nothing like the good old days! They were good then, and they're good now when we think about them. Share some of these thoughts with a friend who can relate, then share it with someone who missed out on them.

What mystery your cayes unfold
so many legends never stood,
of the baymen who bled and died
on sands of cayes for their pride.

Land of the free where none are slaves,
One people proud of their heritage,
black, white, Indian, Spanish people all
ready for their country's call.

PROUD BELIZEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sunday morning matinee, Superman, The Three Stooges and Bugs. Back further, listening to Reverend Matthew and Chichi on the radio. Catching needle cases (never knew their real names) off the clothes line, Making your own kites with kite paper from Angelus Press and flour paste. Making sure roaches wouldn't eat your kite by putting kerosene in the paste. Playing sling shot or using rubber bands with orange peeling to sting maclala. Remember when walking from New Road to New Market seemed far away? And going downtown on Albert Street seemed like going somewhere? Ghost stories at bedtime, climbing trees, gathering black berries and mangoes. An ice cream cone from one-eye Mallick on a hot summer day, Tuti-Fruti, Sour Sap or maybe Sugar Corn. You found his other eye, you say? A burger and coke from Shammah's drug store on Queen Street, A million mosquito bites, flit, fish (for mosquitoes) and sleeping under nets. Kerosene lamps, gas lamps and candles. Etnas (one-holed kerosene stoves), chamber pots and the good old white bucket. Cops and Robbers, Cowboys and Indians, playing house (oooh, I liked that). Steve Reeves and Gordon Scott, when all leading actors were "the bwai", Sittin on the fence whistling at girls passing by. Sliding down the rail of the steps, catching a splinter in your ass. Jumping on the bed (if you had one) and pillow fights. Running from Catate and Dilo till you were out of breath, And laughing so hard that your stomach hurt. Being tired just from playing. Remember that?

#398916 - 01/30/11 01:56 AM Re: Historical chit chat between friends.... [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

THE HISTORY OF TOURISM STARTING IN COLONIAL BRITISH HONDURAS, later name changed to BELIZE!

*** There were three KEY people that started the TOURIST BUSINESS in the colony of British Honduras. You have to remember there were no roads to speak of in the Yucatan, Mexico, or even Guatemala at the time. The THREE KEY pioneers of tourism in British Honduras were Bert Foreman, a lobster trap fisherman around Seargants Caye and eventually he built his own Caye, called Foreman´s Caye. He ran British Civil service types coming to the colony out of the Fort George Hotel of the time. Ray Auxillou who used this small 24 foot, homebuilt, 7 hp Volvo Penta diesel cabin cruiser boat on weekends out of the Bellevue Hotel and John Grief with his tiny 3 passenger Cessna 172 out of San Pedro, Ambergris Caye. In the early 1960´s my tourist charters, were oil people, Jaguar- Boone and Crocket trophy hunters, drug smugglers killing time waiting for their airplane marijuana loads, DEA agents chasing them and investigating me and eventually the business picked up with lawyers and doctors out of Texas, Louisiana and Detroit with the Michigan for Alliance Program. My best earner was 13 years being the operator of the University of Corpus Christi, Marine Biology Department winter 3 week student group. I made cheap money, about $6000 Bz, but it paid for the whole year in those days. Eventually, I built the ATOLL QUEEN motorsailer with help from many tourists, donating stuff, like sails, stove, compass and things. With the motorsailer I carried small and large groups. The biggest being the University of Corpus Christi, marine biology department annual expedition for three weeks. This consisted of around 22 students and scuba and camping gear they had and I took them around the Atolls and barrier reef island researching and learning about corals and fish. In the Vietnam War era, there was an influx of cheap living HIPPIES and the government eventually put a stop to that, as they had no money and were distressing the locals.
Ray Auxillou, Cap´n Ray in 1970´s. This photo was his poster as a traveling magician in Belize.
John Grief and family, an American who started Tourism on Ambergris Caye fishing village of San Pedro in last half of the 1960´s with a Cessna 172 airplane, the forerunner of which became TROPIC AIR - 50 years later.

Cap´n Ray ( Ray Auxillou ) started tourism in Caye Caulker about 1964 while teaching at the Primary School on the island, population at that time was 90 houses. He built his first speedboat, a 12 footer to work with. By 1967 he had completed a second boat, a 24 ft, open cabin cruiser called SAILFISH, beside the teachers house to work tourists out of the Bellevue Hotel on the mainland. By 1969 he had this two story wooden HIDEWAY LODGE, bought with shares in a company and shares invested from tourist friends. The lodge was wood and had eight bedrooms on the second floor on the beach at Caye Caulker. The next boat at the dock in this photo was built by the beach house of his and wife and became the famous 34 ft, twin diesel motor sailer ATOLL QUEEN during the 1970´s and 1980´s. This village of Caye Caulker gradually switched from lobster fishing to tourism and is now famous world wide with a population of around 3000.

Important Dates in Development of Tourism in Belize ( contributed by Lan Sluder on the Belize Culture Listserve )

1948 Vick Barothy opens what was first fishing lodge in British Honduras, a camp on the Belize River near Belize City, now Belize River Lodge

1953 Fort George Hotel, first major hotel in British Honduras, opens in Belize City with 36 rooms

1961 Reef Colony Club with a restaurant, pool and eight rooms, on the site of what is now Ramon’s Village, the dream of Vernon and Terry Hammon, first resort built on Ambergris Caye, was destroyed by Hurricane Hattie just before it was to open

1964 Tourism begins on Caye Caulker and Ambergris Caye, with visitors mostly from Belize City on day trips, Pioneering tourism full time seasons were John Grief on San Pedro, Ray Auxillou ( Cap´t Ray ) on Caye Caulker and Bert Foreman on Foreman´s Caye near Seargants Caye.

1965 Celi McCorkle opens four-room Holiday Hotel in San Pedro with husband John Grief.

1969 Paradise Hotel, owned by Jerry McDermott, opens in San Pedro (Phoenix Resort is now on the site of the Paradise Hotel)

1971 Jacques Cousteau visits Belize and introduces world to the Blue Hole tries to get scuba operations to give free guiding to Blue Hole.

197___ Ted Williams opens hotel in Placencia

1974 George and Carol Bevier open Rum Point Inn in Placencia; Elvi’s opens as take-out burger stand in her home in San Pedro

1970s San Ignacio Resort Hotel, Tony’s Inn and Hotel Maya in Corozal Town, Pelican Beach in

Dangriga, Hotel Mopan in Belize City and other early hotels open; Caye Caulker becomes a stop on the “Gringo Trail,” along with Isla Mujeres in the Yucatán and Lake Atitlan in Guatemala

1975 First dive boats begin operation in San Pedro, including Isla Mia and Reef Roamer

1977 Belize’s first national airline, Belize Airways Ltd., established by Barry Bowen and others

1981 Chaa Creek Lodge opens in Cayo

1984 Belize exhibits at the 1984 World’s Fair in New Orleans, introducing Belikin to the world

1985 Belize Tourism Industry Association (BTIA) founded, an expansion of the Caribbean Hotel Association (later the Belize Hotel Association)

1988 Barry Bowen’s Chan Chich Lodge opens

1991 San Pedro Sun established, publishes weekly newspaper on Ambergris Caye; the largest

1993 Francis Ford Coppola opens Blancaneaux Lodge to the public hotel in Belize, the Ramada Royal Reef (now Princess Hotel) opens, with 120 rooms

1994 Tour guides first licensed

1996 Belize Tourism Board established

1998 The Blackstone Report, the first strategic plan for tourism in Belize, published; cruise ship tourists number around 14,000, mostly on small ships

2000 Belize’s first big casino opens at Princess Hotel in Belize City

2001 Tourism Village opens in Belize City and first large cruise ship visits

2003 Cruise tourism jumps from less than 50,000 in 2002 to 320,000 in 2003

2002 Overnight tourist arrives reach 200,000

2004 Cruise tourism to Belize peaks at around 850,000

2007 Overnight tourism arrivals reach 250,000; national hotel occupancy peaks at 44.3%

Belize CAYE CAULKER history photos!

RC School teachers house in earlier half of 1960´s where the Auxillou family lived. Rent free as the wife was Principal of the Caye Caulker primary school ( 90 homes on the island ) and I was a teacher, but the salaries were insufficient to live on. This house was plagued with sandflies that bred underneath and all around the house.
**** This was my 24 ft cabin cruiser built of pine lumber beside the teachers house and took a couple of years to build. Buying lumber $5 or $10 at a time when sailing into the mainland every month to collect the teachers salary. I built this boat ( the 2nd or 3rd ) from a HOW TO BUILD 20 BOAT MAGAZINE, popular in those days, using the instructions. I powered it with a one cylinder 7 hp Volvo Penta diesel and the boat never could get up to hull speed. It ran around 4 to 5 mph. The diesel was difficult to get as it cost me $700 Bz at the time to import from Sweden at the factory, which I got cheaper as the Volvo Penta Distributor. Holy Redeemer Credit Union refused me a loan to buy the motor and I took more than a year and a half to save the money to buy it. I have been angry with Holy Redeemer Credit Union ever since. The boat served me well and was shallow draft and I did river, reef, atoll and blue water cruising in it. I started the tourist business with this boat, going on weekends to the Belleveue Hotel on weekends to talk people into a trip to the islands. The boat was destroyed by Hurricane Fifi, tied up in front of the beach house and high waves pushed it under the house which eventually broke it up until the boat disappeared completely. The people on board are Esther on the left, her sister and my wife Ilna in the middle and Tony Whelen, British soldier on the right. I guess I took the photo? This had to be early 1960´s near Caye Caulker. Tony and Esther married.
**** This is me Cap´n Ray Auxillou in my late 20´s building the 34 foot twin diesel motorsailer in another photo here, beside our house on the beach. Around 1965 is my guess? That motorsailer gave me the freedom and adventure for the best next 13 years of my life.

*** This is Wendy, Sharon, Diane Auxillou and Rosy ( cousin) sitting on the little pier to the toilet over the seas, in front of our beach house. Must be early 1960´s on Caye Caulker.

It has been a wonderful life and if I had to do it over, I would do it again, exactly the same way. ( Ray Auxillou today at 73 years old, known in his younger days as Cap´n Ray, or as RAYMUNDO the magician.)

Master Dive Instructor, Licensed Boat Captain for ocean travel. Tina Auxillou, the rebel of the four Auxillou girls, and she traveled all over the world exploring. 2010 photo by Caye Caulker.

Island girls of Caye Caulker around 1975 maybe? I recognize Andrea Gomez, Tina Auxillou, and Rosanna Marin. They are probably in their forties now with grown children of their own.

Tina and Dad at the wedding of Daughter Sharon Auxillou to David Urscheler in Miami. The wedding took place on a chartered TALL SAILING SHIP windjammer, by the Captain. Maybe 1988?

*** Prime Minister Barrow parties with two Auxillou girls, Diane and Tina Auxillou. Compare this to the baby pictures of 1964. The two girls now have children of their own going to University in 2011. From baby pictures to adults, having passed through a lot of lifes trials, joys and tribulations. All of these four Auxillou sisters will be grandmothers themselves probably in the next 6 years, while I may be dead by then?

Our family home on the beach at Caye Caulker, 1964 thereabouts. Sharon, Tina, Wendy and Diane, from left to right. Momma Ilna Auxillou in the middle.

Ray Auxillou, 73 years old, the taller guy on the left in 2010, lives in Santa Elena, Western Belize. He runs a small private, Auxillou family hedge fund.

Ray Auxillou ( Cap´n Ray ) on right with sailfish catch back in 1967. Caught outside the barrier reef.

Famous motorsailer, 34 ft ATOLL QUEEN, a wood boat from 1969 and our Island Traders Ltd., company Hideaway Lodge on the beach in the background at Caye Caulker. We bought the property and lodge by creating a start up company and selling shares to tourists who became family friends. Nellie Price in the port at the time, drew up the company charter and Mr. Anderson, the manager of Royal Bank of Canada taught me how to control the shares and Board of Directors of the company for the future, by creating an A class and common B class set of shares to sell.

Most of our tourists in Belize and for Caye Caulker, practice SNORKELING at home like this, before coming to tropical Belize. This guy lived in Chicago.

Caye Caulker aerial photo in 2010 has grown as a 46 year old favored, world famous tourist destination. Automobiles are banned on the island and bicycle, feet, or golf cart are the means of travel.

Today this split in Caye Caulker, which was formed by tidal waves of Hurricane Hattie, which swept across the island, destroying 84 houses and a school building, in 1962 was 20 inches wide. I used to step across it to get to my coconut plantation a mile to the North. Fishermen dug it out more, to get speedboats through and a politician reputed made it even larger for bigger boats to access. The tide sweeping through the cut twice a day, did the rest and made it what it is today.

Caye Caulker front beach in 1967, the toilets you see were on a pier over the water in those days before more people moved to the island.

This was the swimming spot behind North Point of Caye Chapel in the late 1960´s. Ray Auxillou, or Cap´n Ray and wife Ilna,with kids in front of the skiff.

BELIZE - 45 YEARS OF HISTORIC PHOTOS

Edited by Marty (02/13/11 04:00 PM)

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Syrsteve, 1 invisible), 48 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,002 Topics
462,162 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.