Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#399407 - 02/03/11 11:49 AM appropriate gift-giving
Diane Campbell Offline
I've seen a few well-meaning folks show up with pens or little toys or whatever to give to kids. Wonderful spirit, great heart.

I have a request ......... please don't turn our kids into beggars by walking down the street casually handing out goodies. It's really not good to teach the kids to besiege guests with pleas for pens, coins, toys. It's also not at all pleasant for guests. If you have trinkets or pencils etc - find a teacher or other responsible adult and give the stuff to them. They will make sure the children enjoy your generosity in an appropriate way.

Thanks for considering this request.

#399409 - 02/03/11 12:05 PM Re: appropriate gift-giving [Re: Diane Campbell]
ckocian Offline
Very, VERY good suggestion.

Think through the trinket-giving impulse. It's a feel-good act for the giver in this case. Everyone like to see a child smile. But the real good is better done through schools and other child-centric organizations.

#399411 - 02/03/11 12:06 PM Re: appropriate gift-giving [Re: Diane Campbell]
KaraokeJoe Offline
Wow, I wish somebody had put that message out in Afghanistan! I mean, your heart goes out to the kids, but boy does it get annoying! Plus it raises a generation of people that expect to be taken care of by others. IMHO smile
The Immortal Words Of Socrates: I Drank What?

#399413 - 02/03/11 12:22 PM Re: appropriate gift-giving [Re: Diane Campbell]
ckocian Offline
I read a story several years ago about an incident in the Far Eastern country of Bhutan. A tourist was going to give a trinket to a child and an elder from the village said, "No, it gives children the wrong idea." I learned from that.

#399422 - 02/03/11 02:16 PM Re: appropriate gift-giving [Re: ckocian]
SnoopysMom Offline
And please do not give them money! If they are hungry, get them some food....

#399436 - 02/03/11 05:19 PM Re: appropriate gift-giving [Re: Diane Campbell]
seashell Offline
First let me say that I agree. Secondly, and this is a number of years ago, I had brought down toys, trinkets, shoes, pens and pencils. My plan had been to distribute the toys, trinkets and shoes (which I did), and give the pens and pencils to the teachers to give out to the kids. The local that was helping me play Santa, told me not to give the pens and pencils to the teachers, because the teachers would charge the children. I was aghast. I hoped it wasn't true then, and surely hope it is not true today either.
A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#399444 - 02/03/11 06:30 PM Re: appropriate gift-giving [Re: Diane Campbell]
Be Kind Belize Offline
Be Kind Belize is always happy to ensure that 'gifts' are given in an appropriate manner. Children on the Be Kind Belize programme 'earn' their gifts with good behaviour, generosity of spirit and kindness. PM me here or email bekindbelize@gmail.com
“What wisdom can you find that is greater than kindness?” Jean-Jacques Rousseau

#399448 - 02/03/11 07:43 PM Re: appropriate gift-giving [Re: Diane Campbell]
seashell Offline
OK, thanks, I'm up for that!
A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#399475 - 02/04/11 08:26 AM Re: appropriate gift-giving [Re: Diane Campbell]
catdance62 Offline
that is a really really good point

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,685 Topics
461,184 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.