Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#399407 02/03/11 11:49 AM
OP Offline
I've seen a few well-meaning folks show up with pens or little toys or whatever to give to kids. Wonderful spirit, great heart.

I have a request ......... please don't turn our kids into beggars by walking down the street casually handing out goodies. It's really not good to teach the kids to besiege guests with pleas for pens, coins, toys. It's also not at all pleasant for guests. If you have trinkets or pencils etc - find a teacher or other responsible adult and give the stuff to them. They will make sure the children enjoy your generosity in an appropriate way.

Thanks for considering this request.

Very, VERY good suggestion.

Think through the trinket-giving impulse. It's a feel-good act for the giver in this case. Everyone like to see a child smile. But the real good is better done through schools and other child-centric organizations.

Wow, I wish somebody had put that message out in Afghanistan! I mean, your heart goes out to the kids, but boy does it get annoying! Plus it raises a generation of people that expect to be taken care of by others. IMHO smile

The Immortal Words Of Socrates: I Drank What?
I read a story several years ago about an incident in the Far Eastern country of Bhutan. A tourist was going to give a trinket to a child and an elder from the village said, "No, it gives children the wrong idea." I learned from that.

S
S
And please do not give them money! If they are hungry, get them some food....

First let me say that I agree. Secondly, and this is a number of years ago, I had brought down toys, trinkets, shoes, pens and pencils. My plan had been to distribute the toys, trinkets and shoes (which I did), and give the pens and pencils to the teachers to give out to the kids. The local that was helping me play Santa, told me not to give the pens and pencils to the teachers, because the teachers would charge the children. I was aghast. I hoped it wasn't true then, and surely hope it is not true today either.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

B
B
Be Kind Belize is always happy to ensure that 'gifts' are given in an appropriate manner. Children on the Be Kind Belize programme 'earn' their gifts with good behaviour, generosity of spirit and kindness. PM me here or email [email protected]

"What wisdom can you find that is greater than kindness?" Jean-Jacques Rousseau
OK, thanks, I'm up for that!

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

C
C
that is a really really good point

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 289 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.