Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
kelliem Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hey all,
My husband and I are hoping to be living in the San Pedro area in the next two years. I am a hopeless sports enthusiast, especially basketball and soccer.
I am curious if there are any womens sports leagues or even any interest in it by gals in the area.
I am really hoping I will be able to round up some ladies for bball or soccer games because I just cannot imagine life without!
I am also interested in volunteering with the youth as a coach.

PS thanks to everyone who is involved in these forums they are a HUGE help to us in learning the ways of the island.

-Kellie

D
D
We mix mens and womens sports at Ocean Academy. This semester we have 11 girls and one boy on our football team.If AC had a womens team or two we would be happy to entertain them.

K
kelliem Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Great- thanks for the info, Dane. I will make sure to bring my soccer gear down, (along with some school supplies for the kiddos).
I can't wait to get down to San Pedro and play some basketball on the courts in Boca Del Rio near the ocean. My two favorite things: ocean + basketball = heaven!

F
F
Hi Kellie,

Here are a few sports events I can think of:

* Basketball is big - there are pick-up basketball games every day in the late afternoon at Boca Del Rio park. It's dominated by men, but I know 3 female friends who join in. (Basically if you're a good player you'll be welcome).

* 1755 Restaurant just hosted their first Sunday volleyball tournament. It's supposed to become a monthly event.

* I'm part of a group that plays ball hockey every Tues. & Thurs. at Paz Villas from 4 - 6 pm. All are welcome.

* I believe there is also a softball league that happens in the spring (mixed gender). Maybe someone else can chime in with the details.

Island Films | www.islandfilms.bz
K
kelliem Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Ben- thank you so much! All of your info was SUPER helpful.
I play bball often enough that I should be able to hang w/ the boys & softball would a great activity for my husband and I to do together. Thanks again!!

T
T
We have been researching the same question but with respect to High School Girls sports. We have been coming to Belize for a few years and own a vacation rental there... we really would like to relocate. However 4 of our children are still in school. They range in age from 10 to 14. Soccer is a huge part of our 14 year old daughter's life. She is goalie and plays at a high level [although I realize that is all relative... maybe she would not be considered very good at all compared to players there]. The children are up for the challenge of living abroad and have a passion for new things. 5 of our 6 children have been adopted from other countries so we are quite culturally diverse already. We visited two orphanages last year to see what their needs were and here in the US enjoy supporting the animal shelters. We thought about trying to make a one year commitment to do this as a family...enjoy each other and help others where we can... but just don't want to make the wrong decision for the children. Has anyone else on here moved to AC with children in this age range? Thanks.

//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/399391/Re_San_Pedro_High_School_Girls.html

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

G
G
Dont forget about horse shoes at Canucks on Sundays, around 2:30, I think. Maybe earlier? They were playing one of the evenings during the week too, but I don't know if it caught on?

I
I
Horseshoes at a bar is considered a replacement for soccer or basketball? Really?

G
G
Where does replacement come in to it? The general topic being discussed is sports for women in San Pedro. The women who toss horse shoes in the weekly tournament are participating in a sport. What's your problem?

S
S
My wife and I are helping Marion coach the High School softball team this winter and will fly our team down on 3/11 to play a 7 day tour thru Cayo and then out to AC on the 18 TH and conduct softball clinics and challenge any team that wants to play us on Saturday March 19 TH at the old football field, ending with a home run derby that night. We are 32-8 the last 6 years in Belize.Our long term vision is to have a girls fast pitch team on AC and would welcome your help Kellie.
For more information on our clinics or challenge call Rebecca at SEAduced.

People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care
K
kelliem Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Gwen- thanks for the info on horse shoes. It sounds like a fun way to get to know more ladies in town, which ultimately is most important to me!

Rebecca- I would LOVE to help out with girls softball. We won't be down to AC full time until our house sells here in Seattle. I will for sure come by Seaduced and chat more with you sometime in 2011.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 183 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.