Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#399528 02/04/11 03:18 PM
OP Offline
I'm having orthroscopic surgery on my shoulder 18 Feb, coming to AC 19 Mar. Looking to possibly get scuba certified. I'm wondering if there would be any problems with diving that soon after surgery, or what the criteria are?

The Immortal Words Of Socrates: I Drank What?
Good luck with that after surgery! You think 1 mo is enough healing time?

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
S
S
Get your doctor/surgeon's advice...not this message board!

K
K
Is it your rotator cuff? If so you won't be ready. That takes months to heal.

kathyw #399534 02/04/11 03:38 PM
OP Offline
According to the doctor I should have between 90 and 100% recovery after 1 month, and activities could be determined by what I felt up for. That's why I wanted to ask people that know far more about diving than I do, based on what they know about range of motion and strength issues required for diving. Just trying to plan in advance as much as possible.

Which shoulder and which is your dominant arm?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

OP Offline
Surgery will be on left arm. Dominant arm tends to be right, except for writing and pistols.

In my not so humble opinion, you won't be ready. First let me tell you that I have suffered shoulder problems off and on for a number of years. Diving activity has on occasion aggravated that, and on other occasions, my shoulder problems have made my diving activity difficult and that is with significant number of dives/years of diving under my weight belt.

Let us not even discuss what can be involved with rotation, getting in and out of wetsuits, and BCD,s. It is your left arm that you will have to use to manage your power inflation hose. At a minimum, that will require you to raise your left arm almost straight up.

Assuming you will be boat diving, a more significant issue, is managing the ladder upon entering the boat from the ocean. If you were an experienced diver, you may be able to remove all of your gear in the water, without the necessity of ever holding onto the ladder, and then, use only your good shoulder to assist yourself on climbing the ladder, and all this in ideal conditions. Should the seas be rough, the pull of the ladder on your shoulder, as the boat rises, falls, bobs and weaves, could be very bad for you.

Again, I'm not a doctor, and I'm not trying to play one on the internet . . . just a dive fanatic, who's had her share of shoulder problems, and I'm saying wait until you are completely healed. Give it six months at least. If you are going to be living on the island and haven't dived yet, that shouldn't be a hardship, whereas, messing up your newly constructed shoulder . . . well . . .

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

OP Offline
Thanks, I really appreciate the advice. Looks like we'll stick to snorkeling this trip! smile

contact DAN (Diver's alert network) - there has been recent research into diving after surgery, concerning the ability of healing scar tissue to eliminate the nitrogen. Check out with DAN.

Mathieu's Delicatessen

Gunter the original & best.... baker, chef: breads, breakfast, lunch, FOOD!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 289 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.