Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Andra Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I am searching and searching but am going in circles. I need to know - once I arrive from Playa Del Carmen on the ADO in Chetumal what is the best way to get to Ambergris Caye? I am confused with all the options of water taxis from Corozal and Chetumal. Where does the Belize border fall in? I thought it was Chetumal to Border to Corozal then water taxi to AC. But I also read that you can go from Chetumal to AC by water taxi (how do you cross the border if you do that?). My head is spinning. Can anyone clarify all this for me? Have heard there are recent robbings on the Belize bus too so any info avoiding the bus and taking taxi would be great. Thanks in advance for any input.

check this out -- //ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/398823/Water_taxi_to_San_Pedro.html#Post398823

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
The easiest way is to get a taxi from the Chetumal bus station to the municipal dock at the end of Ave. Heroes. Two companies operate boats from there each afternoon to Ambergris Caye. You will do immigration into Belize on the dock when you arrive on the caye. As you will be traveling during the day (in order to get an afternoon boat) the bus will be fine.

HOT Guide Belize - now on your mobile phone! Info, events, discounts & more - www.hotguidebelize.com
M
M
The easiest way is to get a water taxi from Chetumal to Ambergris. Get an early start from Playa because it's a 4.5 hour bus trip on the express bus, and you need to be at the pier at least 30 minutes early for Mexican immigration processing. Belizean immigration & customs are handled when you arrive in San Pedro.

There are two water taxi companies providing service between San Pedro and Chetumal (see websites for schedules & fares):
a) San Pedro Water Jets International:
http://www.sanpedrowatertaxi.com/index.html

b) San Pedro - Belize Express:
http://www.belizewatertaxi.com/

Trip time: 90 minutes.

In Chetumal, water taxis use the main pier, "Muelle Fiscal", which is close to the big Government building, "Palacio Gobierno", at the waterfront. On my BelizeBus site, there is a map of Chetumal that shows the locations of the ADO bus terminal and the pier. The pier is also visible on Google Earth.
http://belizebus.wordpress.com/

If arriving in Chetumal at the ADO bus terminal, there is a little booth inside the terminal where you can get water taxi information. There is (or at least there once was) a water taxi sign and a person who speaks English. You could probably buy a ticket there, but you might get pushed into an overpriced taxi. I'd just go outside to get a taxi, and buy a ticket at the pier.

It's about 3.5 km from the ADO terminal, on the north side of the city, to the pier on the south side of the city. A taxi should take about 10 minutes, and cost about MX$15 (that's pesos). The taxi driver might not know about the water taxi, but he/she will know the pier. Write it down if you can't pronounce it.

The other option is getting a Belizean bus from Chetumal to Corozal (BZ$2), and then getting the water taxi. However, the water is currently running only once per day in each direction -- it departs Corozal at 7 am.

It's about 12 km from Chetumal to the border crossing, and another 12 km from the border to Corozal Town.

Buses & taxis are generally very safe in Belize and Mexico. I recall there was one bus robbery last year -- very rare.

B
B
When you get to Chetumal get a taxi and say this

Quiero ir a San Pedro Belice en taxi acu�tico.

B
B
great info one more thing to ask would be the price to san pedro by water taxi and also is there still 2 taxi businesses and which is recommended,,thank you

B
B
i found some prices thanks to misterb266 and his wonderful links
however now,lol is the price in us dollar or belizian,ty

M
M
San Pedro Water Jets International...
on the RATES tab, fares are in US$.

San Pedro - Belize Express...
on the RATES & SCHEDULE tab, fares are in BZ$,
but on the home page, fares are in US$.

Any recommendations for a clean, less buggy place to stay in Chetumal? Have read some reviews. Any hotel closer than another to the water taxi pickup at the pier? Thanks.

Hon Offline
Hotel Noor...clean, comfortable, about $1000MX per night. You can easily walk to the water taxi pier.

Newfoundlanders are the only people in heaven who want to go home.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 318 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.