Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#400130 - 02/12/11 03:21 PM Six Million dollar facelift for San Pedro
Marty Online   happy

A tourism project in San Pedro funded by the International Development Bank is running into trouble with residents of the town who over the years have relied on the designated area to earn their livelihood. The project contemplates blocking access to the lagoon and for boatmen, that’s like taking from their tables. The islanders say that the consultations that have been held were merely to impose the project on them. But Tourism Minister and Belize Rural South Area Representative, Manuel Heredia says the six million dollar project will go ahead and that it will improve the aesthetics of the island. News Five’s Marion Ali reports.

Marion Ali, Reporting

This is the master plan for the San Pedro Boardwalk and Municipal Pier for the lagoon side area of San Pedro. It will stretch for about a quarter of a mile and will include a street running straight through the nearby football field, splitting it into two, and a portion of the lagoon itself filled in to compensate for the lost portion of the field. It will also have water taxi terminals, customs facilities, vending areas and piers. But as the saying goes: “progress brings problems” and those who depend on that section of the lagoon for their livelihood say that the project will only displace them.

Rene Bradley

Rene Bradley, San Pedro Resident

“I’ve been working here for more than thirty years in this same area. Once they come with this boardwalk there won’t be any access for boats to be pulled out anymore back here.”

Virginio Henkis, San Pedro Resident

“I fix up yah like fi haul up my boat and what not and if dehn put wah boardwalk then I can’t haul up my boat.”

Joyce Cano, Area resident

“This place is like a family place and we mek barbeque like a family, you know. All the people could come and spend time here, you know.”

Manuel Heredia Jr., Minister of Tourism

Manuel Heredia Jr.

“When IDB’s plan came into effect then there were some changes. They cannot just have the terminal without enhancing the surroundings and that is where the boardwalk and the seawall and those things came into the picture the picture to make it more viable.”

According to Minister of Tourism, Manuel Heredia, in order for the project to get the approval from the Inter-American Development Bank, it has to meet certain criteria, but while he admits there were alterations to the original plan, he said that the people who have a problem with the project have personal agendas.

Manuel Heredia

“Some of them have their own agendas also, right. Everybody says that it is a beautiful plan.”

Marion Ali

“Everybody meaning—aside from these forty fifty people?”

Manuel Heredia

“All the stakeholders believe it’s a good plan, but the last two meetings, I have to be fair, no matter what you try to accommodate, they have said we do not want the project in any form.”

Marion Ali

“They won’t have access to the lagoon.”

Manuel Heredia

“No, that is not the case. At the last consultation, if you need individual piers as you have, we will try to give you that, but in a more better shape and fashion, noh. And the people who have their bodegas, warehouse, then we will try to see if we can do to a standardized form something that will suit about three or four of them that have over there. The rest of them don’t want any type of that.”

Marion Ali

“But it’s like forty or fifty of them that don’t support the project.”

Manuel Heredia

“No, it is twenty-two; twenty-two stakeholders.”

Heredia also accused the people of squatting on the land over the years.

Manuel Heredia

“They have been squatting there over time. Nobody has dared to say let us legalize our status over here.”

Marion Ali

“You’ve developed this portion of the land?”

Virginio Henkis

“I had it leased for nineteen years, when dehn noh come and try talk to me, like no tell me nothing bout it.”

Marion Ali

“You still have lease to it?”

Virginio Henkis

“No dehn stop charge me the lease, but we have the papers fi show how much we pay, nineteen years. Like my work noh value nothing.”

The laborers we spoke with say that they also have a concern over how the project will affect the environment.

Rene Bradley

“Once they start dredging they’ll start killing everything that lives. Because they’ll have to fill in all that section that they’re talking about the water taxi terminal and stuff so they’re talking about sucking and dredging all this in here.”

Marion Ali

“What about the dredging?”

Manuel Heredia

“The dredging, there is practically nothing to be dredged over there. What we were saying, we will clean. There is very little mangrove probably close to Caribena, small amount. We can work a way that that will not be destroyed.”

Joyce Cano

Marion Ali

“What about the part that will be filled in?”

Manuel Heredia

“The part for the playground, that part will be leveled and fenced neatly for other activities that we still have, practicing football, Costa Maya Festival and other types of things.”

Marion Ali

“So a portion of the sea will be filled in to…?”

Manuel Heredia

“Yeah, to accommodate what we lost over here.”

There have been at least three public meetings over the proposed boardwalk and municipal pier and Heredia says that the ongoing conflict has delayed the project from getting started. He says that if necessary, the project will be presented to all the residents of the island for a vote. Marion Ali for News Five.

The tourism project is one of four projects approved by the I.D.B.

Channel 5

#400461 - 02/17/11 03:07 PM Re: Six Million dollar facelift for San Pedro [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

Will the San Pedro Sunset Boardwalk Project Go Ahead?

The Sunset Boardwalk project for the old football field and lagoon area has caused quite a stir among island residents and government officials.

Consultations have gone chaotic and there are lots of mixed feelings towards the project. But in a recent interview with Channel 5 (Belize City Media) the Minister of Tourism and Area Representative, Hon. Manuel Heredia Jr., stated that the six million dollar project will go ahead and that it will improve the aesthetics of the island.

In the interview he mentioned that there are only about 22 stakeholders that don’t agree to the project and that there have been alterations to the original plan. “At the last consultation, if you need individual piers as you have, we will try to give you that, but in better shape and fashion,” commented Minister Heredia to Channel 5. “And the people who have their bodegas, warehouse, then we will try to see if we can do to a standardized form something that will suit about three or four of them that have over there. The rest of them don’t want any type of that.”

Heredia mentioned to Channel 5 that the ongoing conflict has delayed the project from getting started. He continued by saying that if necessary, the project will be presented to all the residents of the island for a vote.

Ambergris Today contacted Mr. Terry Wright, Tourism Environmental Specials of the Sustainable Tourism Project, and he mentioned that currently, a number of one-on-one consultations are being held with individual stakeholders: specifically the key property owners and existing users in the project area along with design changes.

Mr. Wright also stated that at this stage it is not certain whether a further general public consultation will be held on schematic designs. A full Environmental Impact Assessment is required for the development and once designs are finalized it will be a requirement that these findings along with the selected and approved design option are made publically available and presented.

Ambergris Today

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
5 registered (ron, Marty, dabunk, 2 invisible), 48 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,079 Topics
462,375 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.