Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
Wanting to cross into Guatamala next week for some shopping at the market. Is it still fairly safe to do so? Have heard that some tourists were held up and had their passpports and money stolen.

I haven't been to Melchor in more than a year, but a couple of people have told me the market has had some incidents recently and that some vendors have left. It does seem that crime is on the rise in the Pet�n.

I was just in Guatemala in October and intend to go again soon.
You should be fine. I am sure there could be more to that unfortunate story, but I haven't known anyone to have any troubles in Guate. I actually thought a day in Melchor was fun!

Melchor is an adventure, lots of folks wearing side arms and emaciated horses walking in the streets reminds me of El Topo.
Sometimes were looking for adventure and its a place you can find a certain kind but shopping??... for what?

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
M
OP Offline
M
We just planned to go over for a few hours. We have been before but are travelling with another couple and their kids and they wanted to see what it's like there. So we thought we would take them. Isn't there a bit of a market there still?

C
C
Just like any other country in Central America, you never know what might happen. I have travel Guatemala from north to south, and east to west. Melchor is a nice town, the market has lot to offer and relatively cheap. Just make sure like we say in our country "don't give your self color" that means don't wear too much jewlery, don't flash money around, stay low key, and treat the locals with respect... and they them selves will look after you.

Castillo,
Guatemala is a very beautiful place with a wealth of flora and fauna, but one thing you don't find in Guatemala is thousands of impoverished Belizeans looking for jobs. Poverty breeds desperados and if you would like to meet them the stretch of road from Melchior to Florence is the best place to get acquainted.Like you said just hang out your bling-bling and you'll get introduced.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.