from a friend....

"Classic Maya Provencial Politics" (Xunantunich and its Hinterlands)
Edited by Lisa LeCount and Jason Yaeger. University of Arizona Press, 2010.

I recently discovered a new book on Xunantunich that I was totally unfamiliar with until doing a related search on the internet.

It's a heavy-duty scholarly work that combines all previous research on the site going back to the late 1800's. The main focus is on two recent projects, the Xunantunich Archeaological Project 1991-1997 (XAP) and the Xunantunich Settlement Survey 1993-1995 (XSS). The book is a compendium of scholarly papers covering all aspects of the site and other related Mayan population centers. Naranjo in Guatemala seems to have been the city that ruled over Xunantunich during most of the Classic period. Other related settlements off the Mopan river were Succotz, Actuncan, Callar Creek, and Buena Vista del Cayo. Along the Macal river were Dos Chombitos, Guacamayo, Tipu, Chaa Creek, and Cahal Pech. There are others as well.

I just started going through this but it's really incredible. One interesting thing I already discovered is that people have been at the site since the early days of the Maya. Xunantunich was at it's prime around 600-900 AD. But they found construction under El Castillo that goes way back before that, to the time of Cahal Pech outside San Ignacio, as much as 1200 BC.