Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
OP Offline
G
Can someone supply me with what documents are required for bringing a dog from the U.S. to Belize?

S
S

they have not updated in 5 yrs -Copyright 2006, completely outdated and prevented me from getting on the plane with my dog.

G
G
When I brought my animals down, I found the website useful for providing a phone number...then I dealt with BAHA by phone. They emailed me updated forms. I followed up by phone and fax to make sure the permission was faxed to the BAHA at the airport. Even with all the forms in place, and with the proper forms from my vet, the officers at the airport hit us up for baksheesh of about $300. Also, very important! Make sure, if you plan to take your animals back to the States, keep your Air Weighbill. That proves your pets came from the States! For some reason, the States (TSA) I was told won't let you bring animals from other countries right now. I had mine, so I was able to bring mine back!

R
R
Like Gwen I dealt with BAHA by Email and phone. I applied for a pet passport which costs a little more than an import permit. Get the forms by sending an email to BAHA. I provided them with a health certificate and a current but more than 30 day old rabies cert. They emailed me that the paperwork would be waiting for me at the airport. I emailed back that I needed a copy of it for the airline and they complied. I also kept all of my email correspondence to and from them.

When I arrived in Belize, no passport waiting at the airport and I was delayed slightly at the BAHA office but I insisted and had the proof with me. It was a Saturday so BAHA was closed. They eventually let me through with no extra fee and told me that my passport would be sent to me. Monday I emailed BAHA and they sent my dog's passport out via Tropic. I just had to pick it up at the airport for an $8bz postage fee.

Moral- keep all your correspondence (for the airline and BAHA). I now have a large brown envelope which will accompany while traveling back to deal with whatever? At first it seems very complicated but it isn't and it will work out. Be sure to comply with all the airline's rules because that is probably worst for a first timer than dealing with BAHA. Others have told me there are slight variations with each trip. Good luck.

PS I used Continental and they were great but a little expensive. My dog received VID (Very Important Dog) status on the whole trip and there was a van right there (one with paw prints on it) to pick him up and to deliver him to the connecting flight, all in a controlled environment. (it was 10 deg. the day we left) We witnessed the whole thing except the loading at Logan through the airport windows. It came out to about the price of a seat on board because he weighs 58# plus the kennel for the flight. Although my wife had doubts about the whole deal and suggested strongly that he remained up North with our kids she now agrees that it is a joy to have him here. I'm glad she finally gave in because I would have missed her, she is a good wife. wink

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
Don't

G
OP Offline
G
Thanks to all that had helped already with this. Your time is greatly appreciated. We have rescued 2 dogs from SAGA & taken them into the States, but this will be the first time bringing on into Belize. Thanks again!

G
G
Things have changed about bringing dogs from SAGA to the States. I wonder if anyone has brought one since the TSA embargo? If so, how did you do it?

One of our clients brought a dog in about 10 days ago. Filled in the usual BAHA docs.

G
OP Offline
G
Thanks Amanda

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.