Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#40092 - 05/30/01 05:02 PM Trip report - day 5-9
cozdiva Offline
Day 5
Both up very early for our Blue Hole Trip. We did this with Amigos Del Mar also. The boat was nice and lucky for us, the seas were calm today! We met the boat at 6:00AM with a total of 13 people (10 divers, 3 snorkelers). The boat ride was long and we did hit a few large waves but we finally arrived around 8:45AM at the Blue Hole. It looked as though we had just stopped in the middle of the ocean, there was no land circling it as the photos make it appear. We listened closely as our DM explained the dive and were so excited. We entered the water around 9:00AM and went down to about 40 feet. Once everyone was there, we entered the dark! It was so exciting! Just as we came over the edge of the sandy ridge, we could see the shadows of MANY shark! I thought my first dive with shark would be frightening but I guess because I was prepared for them, I just wanted to get closer. We went down to about 120ft and took notice of all the stalactites as we made our way down to 140ft. It was just incredible. So different from any dive I've ever experienced. The DM had us all back up against the wall as he fed the shark. My heart was racing! The entire experience in the actual hole was only about 7 minutes but it seemed to go in slow motion. We then made our way back up to the sandy area and again, the DM fed the shark and they were all over the place. I would highly recommend this dive experience. It may not have the coral or fish of most warm water dives but it is great and something I'll never forget. We were back on the boat by about 9:45 and made our way to Half Moon Caye. I wanted to get off the boat and just roam around the island but we only let the snorkelers off and we went to our second dive "Half Moon Caye". Here, we mostly saw Eagle Rays and Sting Rays. A nice dive but we were still coming down from our Blue Hole experience so we probably couldn't appreciate all it had to offer. After this dive, we went back to the island for lunch. We had the stewed chicken with rice and beans and lots of fruit. After lunch, we went to the Booby (sp?) Bird Sanctuary. It was very hot back there but tons of birds! We had a few minutes left to look the island over and get in the water before we had to leave. We really wanted to stay there; it was just so beautiful and peaceful. We then went to our 3rd dive, "The Aquarium". This was our favorite dive of the trip as far as the coral and fish. We saw several Turtles, Rays, and too many fish to even try to identify. Then it was off for our long ride home. We did get rum punch and Snickers Bars and the ride seemed to go faster on the way back. We were home at 5:00, changed and headed to Celi's for dinner. We were starving and they brought out this basket of warm rolls, which we devoured immediately! They brought more. Steve had the seafood platter and I had the broiled snapper with augratin potatoes (YUMMY). Steve had coconut pie (custard style) and I had key Lime pie. We had a couple of drinks and our total tonight was $40.00 US w/ tip. We sat outside here and it was so enjoyable. We just watched all the people walking (some stumbling) by and listened to the water. This was a great day but it had to come to an end. We walked down the beach back home and put ourselves to bed!

Day 6
Today we have nothing planned except a night dive! Steve wanted to sleep in and of course I was awake at 5:00 so I walked up the beach to Rubies and got breakfast. I intended to try the Johnny Cakes but when I got there the Chicken and Beans in the flour tortilla was calling my name so I got that instead and a couple of cinnamon rolls ($3.50). I had mine devoured within a few minutes of the walk back. I loved the chicken tortilla thing but the cinnamon roll seemed dry. Oh well, it didn't stop me! When Steve woke up around 9:00, we took our air mattresses (which we brought from home and then left at the hotel for others to use) and went to the pool at Playador and met up with the ladies we met our first night. We were SO lazy!! We decided it was time to try out a golf cart so Coconuts called and one was there in 10 minutes. We took it for 2 hours ($20.00) and made our way both directions on the island, took the hand-pulled ferry across and planned to have lunch at Sweet Basils. WRONG, it was Monday and they were closed so we went back and had lunch at Papi's. I had Fish fingers w/ fries and Steve had the Crispy chicken sandwich, we both drank pop ($10.00). We were completely worn out from all the activity and went back for a nap (Haha). I woke up first and decided my braids needed to come out. I spent 30 minutes and hadn't gotten one out so I went to the bar and asked Marge what the secret was. She told me to get my hair wet and put conditioner on it and then come back and she'd help me get them out. That's what I did and it worked! We had them all out in about 15 minutes. It felt so good to be able to run my fingers through my hair again. I loved the braids and will definitely do it again, but 6 days was long enough. Steve got up and we thought we'd look for something light to eat before our night dive. Well, everything is closed on Mondays or at least in the afternoon so we found the juice bar and got some juice and then went back and Korina at Coconuts let us make some toast. At 6:00PM, we met the boat for our night dive. There were only 4 of us diving. We went to Hol Chan Reef. This was also an incredible dive. It was Steve's first night dive ever. We saw a Black Tip shark, large Barracuda, Lobster, Octopus (that we all touched), and some huge ParrotFish. We were down about 1 hour. We did get a touch of the Pica Pica here. We put baby oil on before the dive since we didn't have sunscreen on or with us but it almost seemed to make it worse. After the dive, we went to Fido's to eat. Steve had fried shrimp (he's so original!) and I had shrimp fajitahs and we both had a couple of drinks ($50.00). I thought the food was great and Barefoot Skinny was playing! It was joke night also. I finally spotted some folks in tie-dye that I thought must be the Flo gang - sure enough, it was them! We talked briefly but were also spending the last evening of some other new friends so we didn't spend too much time with them. It was great fun though listening to the music and dancing! Now we had to find the Hacker!

Day 7
Up at 8:00 today (sleeping in for me!). I took in the hotel cat, "Coconut", gave her some food and water and let her sleep in the cool air and soft bed for a while. We then walked in to town and bought more souvenirs. We sent a couple of emails off and then had lunch at Cannibals. Steve had fish and chips, I had a garlic shrimp burrito and we both had a drink ($25.00). The food was excellent and I thought the prices here were good to be an ocean front location. It was extremely hot today with little to no breeze so by the time we walked back home, we were exhausted. We showered and napped and then went into the water off the end of the dock for a while. Dinner was at Capricorn's tonight so I decided to actually do my hair. What a waste! By the time we got there by the water taxi, I had to put my hat back on! Capricorn's was a nice experience. The wine was great as was the service and food. Steve had the filet and shrimp and I had seafood crepes. For an appetizer, we had cream cheese with sun dried tomato/basil on top service with bread. The bread was mouthwatering! We shared the Chocolate Rum Cake (gotta try this) and then sat in the bar and drank while we waited to the water taxi. ($100.00) It was a nice, romantic evening.

Day 8
Today we're doing the sail to Caye Caulker but first we had breakfast at Cannibals. I had the breakfast burrito w/ fries and Steve had eggs, ham, cheese, toast and a side of sausage ($15.00-this was a great breakfast spot). We originally planned to do the catamaran trip but there weren't enough people so we took the "Rum Punch II" sail instead. It was fun but once again, there was little or no breeze today so we went over to Caye Caulker by the 5hp motor. We stopped at Shark Ray Alley on the way and touch and held the rays and shark. It was so neat to be a part of their world for a few moments. After about a 2 hour sail (by motor), we were at Caye Caulker. We just had lunch at "Sand Box" - I had shrimp bisque soup and a chicken burrito and Steve had pasta salad and a Steak sandwich and we just drank pop ($15.00). Great food and cheap!! On the walk back to the boat we got some ice cream (more like cream without the ice but it was good). Caye Caulker looked like a fun place to visit also. There were more people than I thought there would be but it was extremely laid back. We got back on the boat and now we had wind! So much that the boat was practically on its side! At least we got to sail for a while but soon it was too much and they took down the sails and we were back on the motor. We finally made it back to Hol Chan where we snorkeled for a while. We saw many fish and it looked so different in the daylight than it had on our night dive. George and David took good care of us but it just wasn't the perfect day for sailing! We got home at
6:00 and quickly showered to try and win more money at the chicken drop! We met Hacker, Gingersnap and the Flo Gang there. They were ready to party but we were too pooped. It was our last night but we couldn't do it so we said our good-byes there. We hit the street vendors tonight. Back at Vilma's. We both had beef burritos ($3.00), the best deal on the island! We then went by Caliente's and just had key like pie. We took our last walk back home and sat at Coconuts and visited with Marge.

The last day L
We had breakfast at Coconuts and then walked into town for some last minutes shopping. We picked up 3 tacos at Warumuga for $1.00 and thought they were great. (You may get another story from Hacker or the Flo gang!) We then bought warm garlic bread at LaPopular Bakery and had to give it a try. I'm glad we didn't do this earlier! We would have been carrying warm garlic bread with us all the time! It was $1.25 for a huge loaf. We walked back to Coconuts, finished packing and had our final meal at our favorite spot, Jade Garden! I'm craving the egg rolls now! Off to the airport and home we went.

Thanks to all of you on the message board for your suggestions. We had a great time!

#40093 - 05/30/01 05:24 PM Re: Trip report - day 5-9
shaygray Offline
What a great set of reports, guys! Sounds like you had a great time. Can't wait to meet you after we get back so we can chat together about our experiences. I jotted down a couple of the eat spots you mentioned, also. Thanks for sharing your vacation with us! Sharon

#40094 - 05/30/01 09:45 PM Re: Trip report - day 5-9
Punta Rebel Girl Offline
All I can say is, I am starving now. All that talk about all of the wonderful seafood and other goodies. I am craving a chicken sandwhich from Papi's and some Johnny Cakes from the little stands. I never even had pie while I was there, but I sure want some now. And oh yeah, the rest of the report was great too. It's just that it is almost dinner time here, and nothing that I was going to cook sounds good now. I WANT TO GO BACK TO BELIZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Punta Rebel Girl

#40095 - 05/31/01 01:06 AM Re: Trip report - day 5-9
patrick-e Offline
Thanks for the great report, we still have to wait 2 1/2 months to go. Your adventures make me wish that it were tomorrow. We will definitely keep your recommendations for restaurants, sounds like you found all the good spots.

#40096 - 05/31/01 04:21 PM Re: Trip report - day 5-9
hacker Offline
hey Connie....

Great Report....

We miss the place....

Hope its at least warm where you are....

It can't be too bad, It was 38 degrees at 5:30 EST this morning.

Enjoy the sun!

hacker

#40097 - 06/01/01 02:25 AM Re: Trip report - day 5-9
Axeman Offline
Punta..LETS GO GIRL!!!!! I'm on the way to your house right now...gonna drag us both down there...hehe I WISH...

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
4 registered (Jameela01, Ricklap, Marty, 1 invisible), 33 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,068 Topics
462,330 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.