Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#400965 - 02/24/11 03:18 PM BELIZE CITY BEGINS STREET NAMING PROGRAM
Marty Online   happy
The Belize City Council today launched the beginning of its Street Naming project and thirty four educators around Belize were honored in a ceremony at the Unity Presbyterian Primary School. Mayor of Belize City, Zenaida Moya-Flowers says through arduous deliberation the committee believes that the first people to be recognized should be educators and developers of the nation.

Zenaida Moya Flowers – Mayor, Belize City

“As you can see some of these individuals here or some of us who actually sit in the street naming committee, and so they are very intelligent people and they all agree that educators should be the first group of people that should be recognized. So I want to thank them for making it very easy for agreeing with that proposal for agreeing upon that. What we are doing today should resolve a lot of problems so it’s also recognizing you because when we are, you know, they have saying when you are dead and gone your name will still live on. Well those who will be recognized your names will live on, your names will forever be on streets and the street signs. People will continuously when they are sending whatever bills or mails and when they say, where do you live? They will be able to say that they live on such and such street. And so your names will be etched in history forever.”

Acknowledgement was given to educators with over thirty five years of teaching experience and includes Sister Therese Sparks, Owen Morrison, Basil Coleman and Hilda Foreman among others. The initiative will extend to the Lake Independence and all streets will have a proper street name and sign.

LOVEFM

#400968 - 02/24/11 03:23 PM Re: BELIZE CITY BEGINS STREET NAMING PROGRAM [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

Where The Streets Have No Names Reloaded

In June of last year, City Mayor Zenaida Moya Flowers told Seven News that she had appointed the members of a non-partisan committee to come up with names for more than 300 city streets that were nameless.

At the time, this is what she told us about the criteria employed to come up with the new street names.

Zenaida Moya-Flowers, Mayor of Belize City
"The criteria also in terms of the naming street is such also that contributes as to why we are doing this as well because a lot of people have stop and spoken to me and said, 'Mayor, I feel that such person should be acknowledged' he or she may no longer be alive, he or she may be alive and those people should be acknowledged. When people are coming up to you and say this person, sometimes you don't know who are these people, they will inform you of the background of these people and a lot of people have not been acknowledged and I want to say that you don't wait for someone to die for them to be acknowledged."

Today exactly eight months after that interview, the Mayor along with members of the City Council Street Naming Committee started naming those streets with an official launch.

The streets will be named after 34 distinguished educators.

The ceremony was held at the school grounds of the Unity Presbyterian Primary School. Captain Nicholas Sanchez a city historian and tour guide spoke fondly of two of those educators.

Captain Nicholas Sanchez: City Historian
"Folks we should never forget these people, they look after us, they taught us, they did everything, and as far as I am concern they will live forever. About twenty years ago I drove from Vancouver British Columbia Canada to Belize with my younger brother Ernesto, and I am sure today when I phone him, when I speak with him tonight, and tell him Mrs. Hilda Forman - a street is named in her honor, he will be really pleased. Even more so on his aunt Daisy Hornby. Because aunt Daisy never taught us what Mrs. Hilda did, and I am sure he will be very pleased to hear that some recognition - and as long as there is a Belize City and there are streets in this Belize City, all of these educators, will be forever enshrine in our minds and we will also know what the name means, like Hilda Forman - teacher, Daisy Hornby - teacher Owen Morrison - teacher. "

Belize City has more than Seven hundred streets, including alleys and boulevards. Of that seven hundred, only 400 are currently named.

Channel 7

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
4 registered (Marty, 3 invisible), 43 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,019 Topics
462,201 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.