Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#401398 - 03/01/11 03:15 PM Physically Challenged Persons Get Carts, PET Carts
Marty Offline
While many of us able bodied persons complain about exercise or having to walk to the corner store, physically challenged persons would only wish they had that burden. Many of them are home bound, and unable to move without assistance. Many have benefitted from wheelchairs - and now a new initiative adds another dimension to that. It's called a PET cart and we found out more about it today:..

Kim Simplis Barrow, Special Envoy - Women and Children
"The effect of the quality of life of the recipients is priceless. These PET carts utilize the personal arm strength of a paraplegic person allowing them to move themselves and cargo across the wing where a standard wheel-chair cannot go."

Jules Vasquez Reporting
The 20 PET or Personal Energy Transport Carts were distributed to twenty physically challenged recipients.

WHILE SOME STRUGGLED, at first, others got the knack of it right off.

The hand cranked, sturdily constructed carts are made in Guatemala - and are the ultimate third world edition:

Ivan Cowo, Director of CARE Belize
"This is gift of mobility so this PET carts stands for Personal Energy Transport will give them that access to many places that they could not reach with their wheel chairs. They are very sturdy, the wheels are like the wheel-barrow and they are very simple to assemble and very simple to repair if there is a need to repair them and the material are very sturdy so this will allow them to go into terrains, very different terrains."

That's true for Lazaro Cob, of San Victor Village, an outdoorsman:

Lazaro Cob, San Victor Village
"I can go to hunt."

Jules Vasquez
"You are going hunting on the....."

"I am going to hunt Gibnut to eat."

Jules Vasquez
"So you will put your shotgun in the back here?"

"Yeah and go."

Jules Vasquez
"How are you going to use it?"

Ernesto Correa, Corozal
"To go to the shop."

Jules Vasquez
"Right now how do you go to shop?"

Ernesto Correa, Corozal
"I don't go right now."

Jules Vasquez
"You can't go right now?"

Ernesto Correa, Corozal
"No."

80 more carts will be donated to Belize for distribution throughout the country. Benque Viejo alone is requesting 16 of the carts.

TUMAKAT's Groove

For the past week, the acclaimed Mexican dance company TUMAKAT has been touring Belize and on Sunday they performed at the Bliss Center.

Tonight as we close we leave you with some of their distinctive contemporary magic.

Channel 7

#401407 - 03/01/11 03:28 PM Re: Physically Challenged Persons Get Carts, PET Carts [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

PET Carts for over 100 physically challenged persons

It’s a gift that will dramatically change the life of many persons with physical disabilities. This morning, they received their personal energy transport, a hybrid wheelchair. The donation was facilitated by CARE Belize and the carts are compliments of Pet International. News Five’s Delahnie Bain captured the emotion of the recipients in the following report from Stella Maris School.

Delahnie Bain, Reporting

One hundred physically challenged persons will receive the gift of mobility in the form of a device called the Personal Energy Transport or PET Cart. The donation from PET International came about after its distributing partner, Hope Heaven International, visited CARE Belize in 2007.

Evan Cowo, Director, CARE Belize

Evan Cowo

“Mark Richards and Hope Heaven International have a factory in Guatemala, Antigua that produces wheelchairs and other devices that are used for the physically challenged and all of these devices are made by persons with physical disabilities. In 2009, Mark was participating in a Rotary fair at the Radisson and there is where the dialogue began for PET Carts and other specialized wheelchairs. The following year, in 2010 September, our regional field officer for the Stann Creek District participated in the Central American mobility partnership and it was there that she met Von Driggs from PET international and the offer of one hundred PET Carts was made.”

Kim Simpliss-Barrow

Kim Simpliss-Barrow, Special Envoy for Women and Children

“It was brought through a collaboration with the Special Envoy for Women and Children and Care Belize and it was a donation that was made to us through Penny Farms Incorporated in the United States.”

The PET Carts are designed for paraplegics. It is maneuvered manually and allows access in areas where a wheelchair would not function.

Santos Elijio, PET Cart Recipient

Santos Elijio

“You can’t depend pan nobody fi do weh yoh need fi do fi yourself because when time yoh wait pan somebody fi do things fi yoh, people tell yoh dehn soon come and dehn go and dehn noh come back. So now I go buy mi goods and I put it eena mi cart and I go home. Ih tek time but yoh need something fi serve you fi yoh purpose.”

Renan Solis

Renan Solis, PET Cart Recipient

“It looks really nice and I think it will be helping me a lot with my mobility.”

Delahnie Bain

“How do you expect this to benefit you?”

Renan Solis

“Well, I am already kinda getting used to the wheelchair so I have to get use to that one because I work and inside my glass shop I have to use the wheelchair, I cannot use that one in there. So I will use it for exercise.”

Aleida Ortega, PET Cart Recipient

Aleida Ortega

“I am very thankful for the people who give me this because this is good for me to help me. Give me the chance to demonstrate to people that people have disability, but I can do it and everyone can do it.”

The first twenty recipients were at today’s handing over ceremony and the Special Envoy for Women and Children, Kim Simpliss Barrow, says the distribution will continue in the districts.

Kim Simpliss-Barrow

“The rest will be handed out over time. We have some for Stella Maris and we were just trying to organize ourselves to get to Benque to do a presentation to some kids in Benque. So hopefully we will be able to go out district and make some of these presentations. Today we tried to get people from the different districts so that there’s an overall representation from all the different districts.”

Delahnie Bain for News Five.

Today’s recipients included Special Olympics athletes and special needs children who were featured in the 2011 calendar.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,006 Topics
462,170 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.