Helpage Belize today received a donation from the Bowen and Bowen group of companies. During brief ceremonies this morning, Sales and Marketing Manager at Bowen and Bowen David Craig handed over a walk-in shower tub for use in the provision of services. Chairman of Helpage Belize Evan Dakers told Love News that the contribution might not seem like much; but for his organization it is a major help in more ways than one.

Evan Dakers – Chairman, Helpage Belize

“As you know manages two homes for the elderly, we have one here in Belize City, the Sister Cecilia Home and in San Ignacio we have the Octavia Waight Center. Quite a number of our residents cannot move around as they wish, they have mobility problems so having this piece of equipment will assist those residents who for a number of reasons would not have been able to take a shower standing up. We have had a number of accidents where residents have hurt themselves trying to shower so it is going to be a major contribution in that respect."

Patrick Jones - Reporter

Where will the shower facility be installed and when do you expect it to be fully functional?

“We’re looking tentatively at the Sister Cecilia Home. Of course we have another home in Cayo but my feeling is that it will be here at the Sister Cecilia Home in Belize City. The center in San Ignacio is relatively well equipped so I think we need to help Sister Cecilia Home.”

Patrick Jones - Reporter

From a Helpage point of view, a contribution like this, how does it help you in delivering for people who need assistance?

“I think many families who are watching this would say I see Helpage is trying to be people friendly. In many homes for the elderly you will find that we always have constraints from a resource point of view. Obviously we will never have all the resources we need but having this piece of equipment will give those families and friend out there who have their loved one in these homes, a certain degree of confidence in us that, hey I can see that Helpage is trying to make life comfortable for my relative.”

According to David Craig, apart from donating the piece of equipment, the Bowen and Bowen group of companies is committing to helping Helpage Belize on a continuing basis.

David Craig - Sales and Marketing Manager, Bowen and Bowen

“It was ordered for a member of the Bowen family and they got together and decided to contribute it to Helpage. We think it is an excellent match for the efforts they are doing here and I am very privileged and honoured to be presenting this contribution on behalf of Bowen and Bowen and companies to Helpage.”

Patrick Jones - Reporter

What is the estimated cost of a donation like this?

“I am not sure what the cost is but it is a state of the art piece of equipment it is something that is worthy of the efforts Helpage is doing and we are very happy to present it.”

Patrick Jones - Reporter

Aside from making the donation I understand that you will also assist in setting it up.

“Yes absolutely. It is slightly technical and we have technical people and we want to see it right through to the end. We want to see it being operated and working. It comes with all the fittings, all the pumps, all the pipes and tubings. We want to be responsible for the set up of it."

Patrick Jones - Reporter

After this will you continue to provide technical assistance to Helpage in keeping this thing running?

“Of course we will, it is a commitment, it is a long term commitment and of course we are up for that.”

Today’s donation to Helpage Belize was facilitated through the Rotary Club of Belize.

LOVEFM

CLICK here for a video on Facebook

Edited by Marty (03/03/11 04:00 PM)