Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#402137 - 03/10/11 09:12 AM Illuminating History’s Hall Of Fame
Marty Offline
March 9th. used to be Baron Bliss Day, but it's now Heroes and Benefactors Day. NICH today opened an exhibit celebrating those patriots and nation builders. In anticipation of the 9yh. March observance, we dispatched a teenaged reporter, who was with us for the celebration of World Broadcasting day, to get a sample from her peers on their knowledge of some of those heroes on display today at the House of Culture. Here's a quick reminder of how some of Sarah Mc-Gay-he's fellow SJC College students answered.

Sarah McGaughey
"Who Antonio Soberanis is?"

"I heard about him a little bit in the history but I don't know much."

Sarah McGaughey
"How about Gwendolyn Lizarraga?"

"Think she was the one who started Gwen Lizarraga High school here in Belize."

Sarah McGaughey
"How about Julian Cho?"

"No, I don't know about him."

Sarah McGaughey
"Do you know who Santiago Ricalde is?"

"No I am not aware of him."

Sarah McGaughey
"Do you know who Thomas Vincent Ramos is?"

"I am not aware of him also."

Sarah McGaughey
"Do you know who Cleopatra White is?"

"Yes, she is a medical nurse; she has her own institute somewhere here in the city."

Sarah McGaughey
"And do you know who is Samuel Haynes?"

"No, not at all."

Sarah McGaughey
"Do you know who Phillip Goldson is?"

"Not at all."

Sarah McGaughey
"Do you know who George Price is?"

"Yes he was the first Prime Minister of Belize."

Sarah McGaughey
"Do you know who Baron Bliss is?"

"Oh yes he was a generous benefactor - somebody who donated money to Belize."

Today, Jim Mc Fadzean joined hundreds of primary students at the House of Culture to view the informative exhibit on display, and took time out to speak with the Institute of Social And Cultural Research's Director about the state of Belizean history being taught in schools. Encalada says he wasn't surprised at the number of students who got it so wrong.

Nigel Encalada, Director - Instutute of Social & Cultural Research
"I wasn't surprised simply because I do know some of the work we have been doing, we are trying to retrieve look at the state of teaching of Belizean history and social studies in Belizean school through ISCR. A lot of the things we are finding is that most secondary at least at that level do not teach Belizean history and the school that do teach Belizean history, some of the teachers are not train in any history, they are just given a particular subject to teach as an addition to their primary responsibility. And then of course there is the problem of what text book to us where to go for resources and some schools just don't give it the attention that I think we should give it, in terms of promoting our own culture, our history, our people and all those things that go along with developing a nation you know."

Jim McFadzean
"Now, you had quit a few primary students flowing in and out of this exhibition today, how useful is this exhibition for these students?"

Nigel Encalada, Director - Instutute of Social & Cultural Research
"Well, I think it's a starting point. It's useful in that it exposes them through imagery in other forms to some of the things we like them to be, to know about Belize. Especially to know about our heroes, but it's only one step. People have been giving feedback on it and there are many ideas on how to address the current generations in terms of education. Perhaps looking at videos, documentary, movies, but to look at the lives of our heroes, but it's only one of the many measures we will have to take in an effort to have to try and revive our history."

The exhibit will run for the entire month of March at the House of Culture, and is opened to the public.

Channel 7

#402139 - 03/10/11 09:16 AM Re: Illuminating History’s Hall Of Fame [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Belize’s Heroes and Benefactors Exhibit

An art exhibition showcasing notable Belizeans and their many contributions to Belize was officially launched this morning at the House of Culture to coincide with Baron Bliss Day, now known as Heroes and Benefactors Day. Baron Bliss is among eleven national heroes being celebrated by the Institute of Social and Cultural Research through NICH. According to Nigel Encalada, the exhibit serves as a reintroduction to the younger generation of these outstanding men and women who have shaped Belize’s history. Five’s Isani Cayetano reports.

Nigel Encalada, Director, Institute for Social & Cultural Research, NICH

Nigel Encalada

“The exhibit is called Belize’s Heroes and Benefactors. The name might be a bit misleading so I guess this is an opportunity to clarify. The exhibit features Belize’s two main national heroes George Price and Philip Goldson as well as the benefactor Baron Bliss. Now as you know there are many other people who have made contributions to Belize and we regard them as unsung heroes. So what this exhibit is geared at doing is to honor our national heroes as well as through the process of having gathered data on these other individuals to put them in public spotlight to try and to reintroduce maybe and to remind people who are some of the people who have made significant contributions in Belize hence the name Belize’s Heroes and Benefactors.”

The list of faces highlighted in the exhibit is a who’s who of Belizean history. From the Father of the Nation to the founder of Garifuna Settlement Day and the composer of the national anthem everyone is present.

Nigel Encalada

“These are only a few of the many individuals who have made contributions. It doesn’t mean that the ones here are not national heroes or might not be named national heroes but the idea is to bring them to the forefront so that people begin to appreciate that we too have heroes of our own in our short, short years of independence. We too have heroes, we have people that we can look to as examples. People who have made significant contributions to the development of Belize and so this is what this exhibit is about, targeting our primary and secondary school students. Targeting the public, whoever wants to come they can come and visit and learn about who these individuals are.”

While the names and faces might be familiar to some a majority of students do not know who Belize’s national heroes are, nor do they know the contributions they have made to shaping the Jewel into what it is today.

Nigel Encalada

“People are more familiar, I guess, with Baron Bliss because the name was previously Baron Bliss Day and which is good, people know that he is one of our main benefactors and has made significant contributions. But I think what has to happen again it’s hard to pinpoint where it is or isn’t being taught in schools because we do know from some of the data we’ve been gathering that Belizean history is not being taught in many of our schools especially in secondary schools, you know, where students might be more open to a more detailed discussion of persons of this nature so I think what has to happen in terms of at least with NICH we are going to continue to push programs that promote national understanding.”

The exhibition is currently being held at the House of Culture in Belize City and is opened to the general public at no cost. Reporting for News Five, I am Isani Cayetano.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Still a Bronco fan, 1 invisible), 22 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,687 Topics
461,188 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.