Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Questions about wood on house
Other images in post
Image Details
Poster collyk Offline
Posted 03/11/11 11:00 AM
Hi all,

I wanted to ask anyone who knows anything about wood on houses. Our home is three years old. Here are some pictures of the wood on our home. Our shutters are virtually rotting and falling off of the house, which of course has proven rather dangerous as they are high up and heavy.

We have about 7 different types of fungus growing from all the wood used on our home. We did have someone out to try to treat it but he reckons that he would need to import special stuff to treat the kind of fungus we are suffering from and he's not sure he can get it.

All the wood was treated with Cetol. There is no wood on our home exterior that has not been affected and is not rotting including our stairs. We are in the very expensive process of having to replace all of our wood. (our interior wood also has problems but that is for another day).

Has anyone else experienced this? How did you deal with it? Is this common?

Thanks so much. Any advice is welcome.
Dimensions 640x470
Size 21.28 KB

#402224 - 03/11/11 05:20 PM Re: Questions about wood on house [Re: collyk]
champion Offline
Sent you a PM
Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol

#402225 - 03/11/11 05:30 PM Re: Questions about wood on house [Re: collyk]
elbert Offline
Some species of wood just don't work as lumber and in Belize you can buy lots of different species in the same load. I've built 4 wood houses here and watched some boards just turn to mush after the first year. I resolved to use only pressure treated pine and ceder.
Nailing anything else down is just exercise.
Jungle lumber is common, cheap and just has to be replaced no matter what you treat it with.
The Dive Shops Daily Blog

#402228 - 03/11/11 05:47 PM Re: Questions about wood on house [Re: collyk]
collyk Offline
Elbert..I know. This isn't obviously what we thought we had paid for, but now we have to do what we have to do. We were just wondering if others had similar experiences. Replacing all of our exterior wood on a newly built house is a frustrating and expensive operation. We live and learn.
Belize Wedding Photography

#402229 - 03/11/11 05:48 PM Re: Questions about wood on house [Re: collyk]
collyk Offline
champion thank you very much!

#402230 - 03/11/11 06:09 PM Re: Questions about wood on house [Re: collyk]
collyk Offline

How long does your treated pine last usually? Cedar? Is one better than the other? Sorry for so many questions. Just trying to get peoples' experience. Thanks so much.

#402237 - 03/11/11 10:59 PM Re: Questions about wood on house [Re: collyk]
ron Offline
I'm not sure how much I like the use of treated pine given that the treatment they apply to the pine is a poison. Cedar is highly insect resistant wood. There are numerous other woods in Belize that are insect resistant some more than others. When you specify Mahogany you need to be able to identify that you got only Mahogany not something else. Santa Maria is also highly insect resistant. You can google the various woods of Belize and see what wood are better or worst for is insect resistance. That being said I've sprayed my house with durasban which I bought in Belize City when I saw evidence of powder post beetles. Looks like that worked.

#402239 - 03/11/11 11:43 PM Re: Questions about wood on house [Re: collyk]
collyk Offline
Hi Ron,

We haven't had much trouble with insects - only fungus and rot. Have you had much experience with fungus or rot? We have our wood/property sprayed for insects regularly so that (thankfully) isn't an issue.

I should add that we did turn back one load of faulty wood but depended on the people we paid and trusted that they were providing us with what we paid for. As, I've said, we take responsibility for not making some good decisions and are ultimately paying the price only three years after our home was built. We're just looking for guidance in terms of not making similar mistakes and how to avoid this problem in future.

#402242 - 03/12/11 07:20 AM Re: Questions about wood on house [Re: collyk]
ron Offline
Collyk, the only place I've experienced fungus and rot was on a house I worked on in Martha's vineyard a number of years ago. The wood was cedar but a different variety than that available in Belize. I removed the bad wood and replaced with more cedar and that solved the problem. Not sure what advise to give you. Good luck with solving your problem.

#402244 - 03/12/11 07:44 AM Re: Questions about wood on house [Re: collyk]
collyk Offline
Thanks ron.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Safecracker, 1 invisible), 31 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,637 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,734 Topics
461,300 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.