Discussion. each person has a different colour

Watching the Tsunami and floating houses and debris, reminded me vividly of passing Hurricane Hattie in the port, Belize City, on the second floor. Houses floating and rolling down the street with people trying to stay on top against huge wind forces. The Japan photos were very reminscient of Belize City in 1961.

Yes that is correct, approximately 10 feet high in places, but tell me, why did they name that village just beyond the Boom road "Hattieville ?

We were told that it was a name that was chosen by the people that were relocated there after the hurricane.

That village at the roundabout is the original Hattieville which was so named by the then government when they built a dozen or so Long Barracks to house Belize City people left homeless by Hurricane Hattie. The village degenerated into a slum and was derogatively referred to as Cattleville. Sometime during the last 25 years or so the government started issuing individual lots in the New Hattieville (Now officially Hattieville) and that was the genesis of a different culture from the original Hattieville which had become a settlement of people dependent on government handouts including free utilities and monthly rations.

I think you will find that the original Hattieville was centered on where playing field and police station are now. There was nothing of Hattieville on the East side of that small bridge between the roundabout and Hattieville, but there were a few houses around where the roundabout is now and that did have a name years ago, but I can't find that name on any maps now. Those houses I saw in 1965, were certainly not government build, but home built.

The first Long barracks was on the left hand side going towards Cayo just after the last curve BEFORE the roundabout. I stand by the info I sent in my last post. The site of the current Hattieville was bush with a few picados leading to the Sibun River - most notably Butcher Burns.

Ten feet. You got to be kidding. The surge was over many houses at ground level and certainly up to the verandah of the second floor where I was. Took 8 men to close the door against wind pressure with tornados running all around the city, blowing any house apart that they touched. Hattieville was temporary housing for the displaced poor. The poor had shoddy construction and could not afford to maintain flimsy shanty town type housing. Back in that era, almost all houses were wood. It was taking months and months to clear debris. The city was covered in 4 to 6 feet of mud after the tide returned to normal.

I have seen the mark, the high water mark on the inside wall of some houses. They could just about touch the line with their arm up in the air. Sure there were high surges. The water did not just roll in quietly like a tsunami, it was blown all over the place, buffeted this way and that way. But I saw the water line in several places. Our radio equipment, in now what is city hall, upstairs did not get flooded and that is very close to the sea.

Yes mud was a big problem, one piece of equipment recovered from the mud, I had the technician wash it out under the garden tap. When it was dry, I switched it on and it tried to work, only one tuning capacitor was too corroded, so I cut the top of it off and put that equipment into service in 1966. We had people from Jamaica come in and help sort out our communications equipment. Unfortunately they re-assembled part of the generator wrongly, it worked, but not quite correctly, so I had to re-clean and re-assemble correctly.

A short time before Hattie, they were building the new power station down at the end of powerhouse lane, but it was not finished before Hattie, part of the control equipment, which was in crates, got damaged by the hurricane waters, so they were manually controlling the city generators voltage, when I was there. So, at Ladyville, when we built the Radio station, I installed a self adjusting Transformer, that could keep our voltage correct.

The village at the Boom road junction, ( Track in those days ) was Not part of Hattieville, do you remember its name ?

Nope! On the name and you just dated yourself with that missive.

Correct, it was 4 years after Hattie, that I first got to Belize City. You could find out a lot of what actually happened on the wider picture then.