Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
I think PAWS has a sound solution to the problem. As far as maintaining the micro chip I really dont think there is a maintenance cost to the owner. The system is passive in that you pass a reader over the dog/cat and it provides the information. Spay and Neuter is the best and most responsible way to maintain the population and as stated CC needs to control the incoming population.

John deVerteuil
M
M
Here in the US chips are installed free most of the time. There is a cost to be included in the database. The chips just have a unique ID # that must reference a database maintained by the manufacturer.

Anyone using the scanners needs to be trained to do it properly. It is very easy to miss a chip. Additionally, maintenance of the scanners may prove tricky down here in such an unforgiving climate. Prior to the use of microchips, tattoos were (and continue to be) used with great success. The only way microchips work effectively is if owners continue to update the information including any change of phone numbers or address, every time they change or the animal changes ownership.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

C
C
Wait..I am so confused..the microchip program is a great one, who is paying for it..how do we get them here?? OMG the owners of all the dogs on the streets that wont feed their dogs, or vaccine them..I think microchips are years down the road unless P.A.W.S can fund this I truly think spay and neuter and our endeavor to go to the schools and get folks to the Clinic regardless of ability to pay , baby steps. An Idea, a thought is a great thing, Many people have dreams and its all good..but implantation of those dreams dont come easy...we now have over 200 animals in our register at The Caye Caulker Humane Society..turning knowone away if they cant pay, every month we increase our patients by about 25%,,goal being to have pet owners bring in their pets without being afraid of the cost, one sick dog can turn into 10 sick dogs. One breeding dog can turn into 30 dogs a year, 10 breeding dogs can produce 200 dogs a year. On an Island 1/4 mile wide..3 miles long not many get lost.However they sure can breed and spread disease..

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
B
B
I agree with Cooper. The island is small so pets are not as likely to get lost. Unless eaten by a croc, but then who's gonna find the microchip? I truly think neutering and spaying is the answer. I am truly a dog lover (have three) but all have been "fixed". Education is needed to get the owners to understand the importance of taking proper care of their pets, dogs and cats alike.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 289 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day