Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#403827 - 04/02/11 03:48 PM Blatter To Belize
Marty Offline
The biggest man in international football is coming to Belize! No we don't mean Lionel Messi…we're talking about the President of FIFA, Joseph Sepp Blatter. He'll be the guest of the Football Federation of Belize for the launch of the GOAL PROJECT II which will be held on the evening of Wednesday April 13th 2011 at FFB Headquarters in Belmopan.

Blatter will be accompanied by the President of CONCACAF, Jack Warner and the pair will host a late evening press conference after the ceremony.

The timing is interesting as the investigation committee assembled by the Ministry of Sports is planning to summon the FFB executive for questioning next week. That is the final step in concluding their investigation.

Minister of Sports John Saldivar has not been invited to the event and has gotten no request for a meeting. He told us however that he would be glad to receive them in his office.

Channel 7

#405033 - 04/14/11 02:33 PM Re: Blatter To Belize [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Blatter In Belize!

The President of FIFA, Joseph Sepp Blatter arrived in Belize this afternoon. He is here for the Inauguration of the FFB's GOAL PROJECT II which is being held at this hour at FFB Headquarters in Belmopan.

We couldn't make it to that event, but we did catch Blatter briefly after he held a courtesy meeting with the Prime Minister in Belize City. The first thing we asked was, what about the investigation that the Ministry of Sports has commissioned into the election of the current FFB executive?:

Jules Vasquez
"The Ministry of Sport in Belize is investigating the FFB; did you discuss that subject with the Prime Minister? What are your views on that subject?"

Joseph Sepp Blatter, President of FIFA
"No, I did not discuss this with the Prime Minister, but the Prime Minister - he put to my attention that there is a problem - that it is an internal problem,and that it has to be solved internally. He just informed me about that, but we haven't discussed it. What we have discussed with the Prime Minister is to ask for the support of the Government for a premises for football, by saying how much football can play an important social, cultural part in education of young people when it comes to bringing people together. And in football, there would be in a team sport where they learn discipline, respect - it is a combat game but in the spirit of fair-play, and therefore, it is a very educational tool. For that we need - or the football - with Doctor Chimilo and his group, what they need is some playing-fields, and they have playing fields but they are not in very good condition. So we have to help them - or they have to put it in good condition, but what we can do, we can give another project, but what we want to do is to install lights on a playing field, in order to be able to play in the evenings. And may be they can play in the Champion's League or other leagues here. I know it is not so easy to work in Belize because Belize is a small country with only 300,000 people, but in football, they can achieve something, but they have get the support of the population and of the Government. And we will try and do what we can to help them in the future, not only FIFA, but also CONCACAF. And I have here with me, a member of CONCACAF, and he is the member of the Executive Committee of FIFA, Rafael Salguero; he is also with me and he represents not only UNCAF, but also CONCACAF here. Together, we will help associations like this."

Jules Vasquez
"And does the President have your full unadulerated support. Mr Chimilo?"

Joseph Sepp Blatter
"He has my full 100% support, he and his group working for football, and I do hope that they will be able to settle this problem. It's a small problem because it's more a problem between human beings, and problems between human beings should be solved in the interest of the whole nation and for the game."

President of CONCACAF Jack Warner was also supposed to be a part of the delegation, but he had to cancel at the last minute.

Channel 7

#405148 - 04/15/11 02:39 PM Re: Blatter To Belize [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

FIFA’s President tells government not to meddle in its affairs

FIFA’s president Joseph Sepp Blatter touched down in Belize for only a few hours on Wednesday; he arrived and left on a private plane heading to Nicaragua. The visit, albeit short, gave him enough time to express his stanch support to Dr. Bertie Chimilio, the president of the Football Federation of Belize which is a FIFA affiliate. On the ground, the F.F.B. is responsible for promoting and developing the sport as well as grooming the country’s young talents. But there is a major power play for its executive seat that has both the organization and the government in a twist. Blatter says government shouldn’t interfere in F.F.B. affairs. News Five’s Isani Cayetano has the following report.

Isani Cayetano, Reporting

The conflict over the legitimacy of Dr. Bertie Chimilio’s role as president of F.F.B. couldn’t have been any clearer when the Minister of Sports chose not to attend the launch of Goal Project Two. The undertaking, in part, saw the inauguration of a new seating facility and changing rooms at the FIFA-certified stadium in Belmopan. In attendance was Sepp Blatter, president of the most powerful global sports organization.

Sepp Blatter, President, FIFA

“Let football [be] in peace. Let football work according to the statutes of football and these [are] statutes according to statutes of the international federation. We need the support of the government but the government should not and never interfere in the organization of our game and especially not in the statutes.”

Bertie Chimilio

The comment comes months after the signing of a statutory instrument that would allow for an investigation into the affairs of the F.F.B. According to Chimilio there is no issue with the government. The problem, he says, are the personalities therein.

Dr. Bertie Chimilio, President, F.F.B.

“The problem is not with the government. I don’t think we have a problem with the government. We have a problem with a minister who wants to do things his way and not the right way and we in the federation will do all our best to make sure that we remain independent and we do what has got to be done even if we have to go to the courts and I’m saying this with no apology. We are ready to go to the courts because we know [that] what he has done is totally out of order so Mr. Minister we are ready for you when you’re ready.”

Sepp Blatter

The purpose of Blatter’s visit nevertheless was to approve the work that has gone into modernizing the stadium. In September of last year major efforts were made to bring the arena up to par with international standards which include proper seating, lighting and on-field demarcations.

Sepp Blatter

“I think we are on the good track and what we have to do more in football here is to take care of the youths and let them play. And we need some more pitches and here we’ll need the government’s support and I spoke with the prime minister today and he promised that he will do or will help that some of the football pitches [be] made available through the government that they could be reconstructed or arranged and we will help them to do so.”

The stadium, Chimilio concluded, was the product of money well spent.

Dr. Bertie Chimilio

“He has looked around and has seen that yes we have done our job and that’s the reason why he came to inaugurate it. So it’s a milestone and we’re hoping that with the third phase we could finish up and have our international matches here.”

Before leaving, Blatter made a firm commitment to the F.F.B. and the country that FIFA will continue investing in the development of football in Belize through infrastructure and training opportunities for local athletes. Reporting for News Five, I am Isani Cayetano.

Blatter also referred to the unprecedented Statutory Instrument signed the Minister Sports, John Saldivar, on January sixth, which established an investigation on Bertie Chimilio’s election and the F.F.B. And according to the president of the sixth largest nation of more than one billion people, FIFA is an independent entity with its own statutes.

Channel 5

#405792 - 04/21/11 03:15 PM Re: Blatter To Belize [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

PM Tells FIFA Boss Blatter, “We Have Issues”

And speaking on one more matter where sporting matters cross the desk of the head of government, we asked the Prime Minister, what did he tell the FIFA President, Sepp Blatter when he visited last week? PM Barrow says it was just a courtesy call, so he couldn't say much:..

Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister
"He had ask me for him to pay a courtesy call and I said to him that that's what is was - a courtesy call so I didn't want to get into matters of controversy but that I needed to put him on notice that the government has a problem with the local federation and that the Minister is pursuing a particular strategy where that was concern. He didn't make any response to that and I left it there."

Channel 7

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,015 Topics
462,195 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.