Dean Barrow

Another measure that the government is contemplating to fight crime, is to seek funding for equipment and training.

Dean Barrow

"I am committed to finding now additional money for the security forces; in particular the police department, for bullet proof vests, additional firearms and additional radios. I will get a costing from the minister very shortly. But cost it what it may, we have got to ensure that when we ask our police officers to stop and search these people, they don't have to fear that: I am stopping and searching this person because I believe he may have a gun, but I am unarmed and so perhaps I better not stop and search him. So apart from the increase in bodies, in human resources that will now be placed on the streets of Belize City, we're going to ensure that the police are very much better equipped. I'm also going to find some money for the special branch and the Gangs Suppression Unit to be able to draw on in an effort to increase our effectiveness at intelligence gathering. That money will serve as well another purpose. If we can do all I spoke about in terms of protecting the identity of witnesses, surely we will be able now to offer inducement, financial inducements, rewards for eyewitness testimony that can help us to put away the people who are committing these murders."

Later in the press conference, the prime minister said that funding will come from frozen Central Bank accounts.

Channel 5