Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#404072 - 04/05/11 10:02 PM Caye Caulker doing business & living there
shaman Offline
Hey folks,
I am thinking about purchasing a business on the caye in the next few months and am looking for some input. I am in the US right now but intend to move to CC for the business. What is the current feeling toward ex-pats doing business down there and how safe is it? Realizing that most folks only post the worst on these boards or other similar ones, I am looking for realistic info from all. Any business owners currently doing bus. on CC would be welcome. I also realize that re-inventing the wheel is not going to happen, so I do not intend to "change the caye to fit my business" I intend to continue doing business as usual with a few minor alterations. Also, what can I expect to pay for renting a home and maybe some suggestions of where I could do this would also be appreciated.
Thanx so mush to all replies.

#404081 - 04/05/11 11:31 PM Re: Caye Caulker doing business & living there [Re: shaman]
Dane Offline
Rent varies widely.
US split level maybe BZ$2500
Belize house BZ$1000.
Hildas Apts BZ$650
It is a lot safer here than in any US or Canadian city

#404087 - 04/06/11 12:02 AM Re: Caye Caulker doing business & living there [Re: Dane]
shaman Offline
Dane,
I see several posts on this board by you and appreciate your recent response, however, you had nothing to say about anything other than rent. Do you have any other thoughts on the other topics? I would appreciate any further input.
Thanx

#404115 - 04/06/11 03:15 AM Re: Caye Caulker doing business & living there [Re: shaman]
Dane Offline
Honestly,on this board general inquiries get a fairly weak response.i took a minute to answer the only really specific question that caught my fancy.
Heres the short answer-
To make a success here it will matter more what you value in your daily life than any general sense of the biz climate.
Stating the biz your are planning to run would make all the dif to any useful response. The expats and locals don't hassle as groups -it is small and you move on your own.

#404119 - 04/06/11 03:45 AM Re: Caye Caulker doing business & living there [Re: shaman]
Cooper Offline
You really need to spend enough time here to be able to answer those questions on your own. Rule of thumb has always been live here for a year before doing anything and if you cant do that then everyone has different advice as everyone has a different experience on life here.

#404193 - 04/06/11 06:06 PM Re: Caye Caulker doing business & living there [Re: shaman]
Bing Crosby Offline
These posting always crack me up.

I will be graduating high school in two months and would like to live on an island and sit on the beach. Is there some buisness I can have where this lifestyle won't be thretened?

#404198 - 04/06/11 06:18 PM Re: Caye Caulker doing business & living there [Re: Bing Crosby]
klcman Offline
yeah.......but there is lots of competition laugh

#404209 - 04/06/11 07:07 PM Re: Caye Caulker doing business & living there [Re: shaman]
Noelle Offline
OP, it sounds like you're asking if you'll like living/working on CC and if you will be accepted as a business owner. Have you ever been there? It's certainly not for everyone. I don't think your questions (other than the specific ones about rent) could really be answered about any town since people's experience and expectations vary so much.

The advice is good: definitely visit, if not for a longer period, at least once and you'll answer a lot of your own questions.

Good luck,

Noelle

#404365 - 04/08/11 04:26 AM Re: Caye Caulker doing business & living there [Re: shaman]
Cooper Offline
Yes. Sometimes its hard to hear about the young folks with their dreams...no need to be old and cranky about it.

Edited by Cooper (04/08/11 04:33 AM)

#404413 - 04/08/11 04:55 PM Re: Caye Caulker doing business & living there [Re: shaman]
ScubaLdy Offline
The first question that comes to mind is why is the business for sale? I met a couple here on a/c that "bought into" a business because of the owners’ good reputation; never mind that he needed the money. (that's a long story) Little by little he 'sold out' to them. Now they have a business that has a lot of competition and doesn’t have the guy with the reputation.

I suggest you ask a lot of questions of a lot of people and you can't do that without looking in their eyes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 33 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,021 Topics
462,210 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day