Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#404057 04/05/11 02:10 PM
B
OP Offline
B
I've tried this twice already and it didn't work so... 3 times lucky.

What is a reasonable amount of time to drive the coast of Belize? No real stops, just want to see the whole coast before choosing on where to make soem visits.

For the most part there is no road along the coast itself. You take the inland roads and then feeder routes to coastal locations.
That particular item is part of what makes Belize special.

From the Mexican border near Corozal Town to Punta Gorda in Toledo, via the shortest route (Northern Highway, Boom bypass, Western Highway, Coastal Road, and Southern Highway) it is about 245 miles. All of this is paved, except the so-called Coastal Road, which is not on the coast -- if you want to avoid that, go on to Belmopan and take the Hummingbird to the Southern Highway, a little longer but a better road and far more scenic. Non-stop, averaging about 50 mph, you can make the north to south trip in about 5 hours. As a practical matter, given speed bumps, traffic, weather issues, etc. most people wouldn't want to push it that hard.

But as Diane says, very little of this route is within sight of the coast. To get to the coast you will have to take detours, and even then you are going to be within view of the water only for short distances. From memory, which may be faulty, the only places where you can see the water by main road are:

* A few blocks in Corozal Town have views of Corozal Bay
* Short distances en route to and in Sarteneja have bay views
* In Belize City there are short distances with harbor or sea views
* Going south, you can drive to the sea at Gale's Point, Dangriga and Hopkins/Sittee
* The longest stretch of sea views is down the roughly 16 miles of the Placencia peninsula, from Riversdale south, though the sea is not visible the entire way
* A short distance along PG waterfront

There are a few other places where you can briefly spot the water, such as near Monkey River, from hilltops near PG and at Barranco.

If you wanted to scope out as much of coastal areas as you could reach by car, including a side trip to Sarteneja, Gale's Point, Dangriga, Hopkins, Placencia, etc. you're talking maybe 12-14 solid hours of driving, and realistically you'd need at least two or three days, preferably longer.

Keep in mind that much of the Belize mainland coast is swamp and mangroves, not sandy beaches.

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
B
OP Offline
B
Interesting. One of the few countries I have ever heard of that has not "attacked" its coast with roads.

I am now thinking maybe a boat trip down the coast may be a better option to actually "see" the coast of Belize.

S
S
A boat trip is the way to go...lots of beautiful scenery and interesting stops.

But to charter a boat and captain to go down the coast will not be cheap! Bring wads of money.

B
OP Offline
B
Don't have wads of money lol... One of you lovely locals will be kind enough to show us around at some point. My son is very cute and my wife is charming. Me... jury is out.

The drive down the Hummingbird Highway may not be "coastal" but it is spectacular. Do it.

Take a week, better yet take 10 days - drive from north to south and take the feeder roads - slow and easy. The nooks and crannies, the little villages --- it's a wonderful thing to do.

P
P
Raggamuffin do a three day boat overnight camping style tour from Caye Caulker to Placencia that is reasonable.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.