Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
bobble Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I have been considering driving in from Mexico where I keep my truck/camper/15'inflatable/outboard/trailer and camping gear; generator/chairs/fishing gear/etc. Am I facing duty charges on my travel rig and stuff? If so I will fly in like a proper expat wannabe. I'm looking around for a home away from home but not yet ready to pay import duties.

C
C
I am pretty sure you will have to pay a bond on your vehicles that you get back when you leave the country (be prepared for lots of red tape and waiting around). There is a time limit on the bond, not sure what it is. I do not know if the bond has to be in cash, or can be paid on credit card, but it will be steep.

Fly in or leave your vehicle in Chetumal in a secure area, then take a taxi over to Corozal airstrip or take the water taxi to San Pedro. It's not worth the hassle or the cost.

Change your Latitude
C
C
I'm not sure, but, as long as you are just a visitor for a limited time(30days?), you shouldn't have to pay anything. Just make sure you have the same items when you leave, if not, then you'll have problems. Have a detailed manifest.

B
bobble Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Okay, many thanks to each of you. Since I mostly want to check out Ambergrise Caye and I would have to store my rig on the mainland anyway, why bring it! If I come there for a few months it sure would be nice to have my inflatable to explore and snorkle from, though. OR, maybe not! I guess it depends on the costs for such activities there at the island vs. the hassle of bringing it.

If you can avoid dealing with the bureaucracy you should always do that. Belize is a wonderful country but a lot of the officials seem to be a law unto themselves and the rules and regulations on a particular day are what that official says they are. Don't get me wrong it is a wonderful place and you will enjoy your visit but the bureaucracy is always there waiting to make your life difficult.

Captain One Iron

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 294 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.