Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#404514 - 04/09/11 10:43 AM Copyright Awareness Rising
Marty Offline

Copyright legislation was passed in Belize in the year two thousand - but according to a new copyright advocacy group, piracy is still widespread.

The Belize book industry association celebrated International book day today with the second annual bookfair and the launching of the Belize Copyright licensing agency, referred to as "BECLA."

They are promoting publishing, reading and the protection of copyright laws. They says its about sustaining, supporting and protecting book publishing in Belize:…

Jorge Aldana, Treasurer

"Please promote the idea of books. Books will not go away, believe you me, when all the cd's rot and all the computers dissolve, there will be at least one book that remains."

Monsterrat Casademunt, Chair - BECLA

"Piracy has a most devastating effect both on copyright industries and on nation's economy. Some 300 billion of photocopies of copyright materials are made worldwide. The shear volume of photocopy represents a threat to the creative industries, if right holders are not properly remunerated."

Luciola Castillo, National Library Services

"Belize still has a growing literal society and in promoting that they want to establish that the community has some viable mains of producing their work and if writers, singers and artist and

everyone that has some creativity, produces it and there is a copyright for it then we know that they will benefit from it. On the other hand if there no copyright to make sure that they are owners of what their intellectual property is then we will have a free for all society and that is not what we want to produce. We want to produce free for all information but not a free for all society that has everyone pirating everything so that we can make a quick buck out of it but at the same time forgetting the artists themselves because Belize does have a copyright law, however the entire society is not being educated on it, so we are using this venue as one of the educational forums for that."

Events under the same theme will be held throughout the coming week…

Channel 7

#404744 - 04/12/11 10:00 AM Re: Copyright Awareness Rising [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

World Intellectual Property Organization discuss future of copyright

Mary-Ann Richards

Book Week 2011 is currently underway and this year the emphasis is being placed on intellectual property rights. On Friday, the Belize Copyright Licensing Agency was formally introduced and in keeping with the series of events scheduled for the celebration, a public presentation was held this morning. Guest speaker at the forum was Mary Ann Richards, the regional consultant and coordinator of the World Intellectual Property Organization. She spoke on the need for awareness and about the pros and cons of the global intellectual property system.

Mary-Ann Richards, Regional Consultant, WIPO

“Everybody in the world is either a creator of Intellectual Property or a user of intellectual property. So you need to build the awareness of their knowledge of it: if they own it, how they protect it, how they exploit it—because it has very often financial implications. You can make a living now because it is knowledge-based, you can actually make a living from the skills and talents that you have. So we need to create that awareness at all levels because it is going to affect your policies, it affects your education system. Who do you create and how do you create your people who will be your poets, your authors, your song writers, your calypsonians, your engineers, your inventors. So it goes across the board and touches almost every sector of the society. Sports people tell me that there is certain things that I.P. doesn’t touch on and I said you call one sector or industry or ministry for me and I will show you how it is relevant. People tell me sports; critically important. We all know about sportsmen who have become multimillionaires not because they are playing on field, but because of all the I.P. rights that they have—whether it’s in their image, in the clothing that they sell, that carry their brand name, their mark, etc.”

Another meeting with stakeholders of intellectual property on culture, copyright and innovation is scheduled for April thirteenth at the Bliss Center for the Performing Arts.

Channel 5

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 36 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,697 Topics
461,207 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.