Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#404688 - 04/11/11 09:23 PM Infatable into Ambergrise Caye
bobble Offline
This may not be a practical idea, but..... I do not have a yacht to bring to the caye for a time, but I do have a Zodiac I use to skin dive from. What is the proceedure for visiting the caye by boat for a few months? Perhaps I could leave my rig stored in Mexico whilst motoring to my rental on the island? Please be gentle on me here if this is a totally unworkable or foolish question..........thanks

#404695 - 04/11/11 10:58 PM Re: Infatable into Ambergrise Caye [Re: bobble]
ScubaLdy Offline
I just had to find out what an infatable was cause I sure could use one. LOL
I just love Freudian slips (but not nylon ones)
Real Question: Why would you leave your inflatable in Mexico? I left my heart in San Francisco and have been sorry ever since.

#404699 - 04/11/11 11:08 PM Re: Infatable into Ambergrise Caye [Re: bobble]
GwenA Offline
Someone who knows...don't you have to get a license to use an inflatable. And don't you have to pay customs and duty on it if you bring it into the country? Do you get a refund if you take it back out?

#404708 - 04/12/11 12:05 AM Re: Infatable into Ambergrise Caye [Re: bobble]
ragman Offline
This is a non answer but... Is the Zodiac Inflatable registered in Mexico? If so and you are talking about bringing it down from just North of the Island maybe customs would give you a pass. Many small boats unofficially visit Mexico so maybe.

Normally a larger vessel which has been documented would be no problem, no duties and you just clear customs and maybe pay some small fees. When a small vessel is used as a tender to a larger documented vessel there is no problem. Technically without the proper paperwork on the vessel meaning documentation in addition to the normal requirements of a passport ect. the answer I'm sure is no but..... In addition I've seen some larger vessels which only had a USA State registration have big problems and have had to pay a fine because they entered illegally in the Eastern Caribbean countries.
Now if you are flying in and bringing the Zodiac with you that is a different story and I would expect that you would have to pay duty. Someone did this a month or so ago where Iím staying but I didnít have a chance to talk to him on how that turned out. Of course if this is what you are thinking then the next issue may be a Captainís license to operate in Belize waters. That is not an issue with a documented vessel from another country. Good luck

Not really an answer but maybe it might spur some enlightening conversation from someone who is more informed on the situation here on the Island.

#404712 - 04/12/11 02:15 AM Re: Infatable into Ambergrise Caye [Re: ScubaLdy]
bobble Offline
Originally Posted By: ScubaLdy
I just had to find out what an infatable was cause I sure could use one. LOL
I just love Freudian slips (but not nylon ones)
Real Question: Why would you leave your inflatable in Mexico? I left my heart in San Francisco and have been sorry ever since.

Pretting amusing Ms. ScubaLdy. I keep my inflatable in Mulege @ the Sea of Cortez rather than shlepping it back and forth to L.A. And I like your pics/bubbles philolosophy.

#404713 - 04/12/11 02:33 AM Re: Infatable into Ambergrise Caye [Re: ragman]
bobble Offline
Originally Posted By: ragman
This is a non answer but... Is the Zodiac Inflatable registered in Mexico? If so and you are talking about bringing it down from just North of the Island maybe customs would give you a pass. Many small boats unofficially visit Mexico so maybe.

Normally a larger vessel which has been documented would be no problem, no duties and you just clear customs and maybe pay some small fees. When a small vessel is used as a tender to a larger documented vessel there is no problem. Technically without the proper paperwork on the vessel meaning documentation in addition to the normal requirements of a passport ect. the answer I'm sure is no but..... In addition I've seen some larger vessels which only had a USA State registration have big problems and have had to pay a fine because they entered illegally in the Eastern Caribbean countries.

Now if you are flying in and bringing the Zodiac with you that is a different story and I would expect that you would have to pay duty. Someone did this a month or so ago where Iím staying but I didnít have a chance to talk to him on how that turned out. Of course if this is what you are thinking then the next issue may be a Captainís license to operate in Belize waters. That is not an issue with a documented vessel from another country. Good luck

Not really an answer but maybe it might spur some enlightening conversation from someone who is more informed on the situation here on the Island.

Yea, I was inquiring about motoring across to AK. It is registered in California but not in Mexico. From what I have read on this forum it sounds like the Belizean government keeps quite close tabs on whatever crosses their borders. Which, of course, makes sense. It sounds to me that people driving into the country for vacation might end up being assessed some form of import duties for their RV's. Even if the fees were returned when leaving that would be quite discouraging to me. HMmmm...thanks for you thoughts, Ragman

#404714 - 04/12/11 03:10 AM Re: Infatable into Ambergrise Caye [Re: bobble]
SimonB Offline
What size is it? We have a 23' Zodiac and it has/had to go through all the registration procedures as with any other vessel.

The rest of your post is very confusing. Mulege is on the Pacific side, we are on the Caribbean. AK is short for Alaska.

For boats entering Belize by water you check in and then when you check out you are charged a fee depending on how many days you have been in the waters of Belize.

I don't know the deal if you trailer in but you can be sure that they will have a way of nabbing you for customs on the way out if you don't have that boat with you. It won't be the value you tell them either it will be the highest price they can find on the Internet.

#404717 - 04/12/11 07:57 AM Re: Infatable into Ambergrise Caye [Re: SimonB]
bobble Offline
Originally Posted By: SimonB
What size is it? We have a 23' Zodiac and it has/had to go through all the registration procedures as with any other vessel.

The rest of your post is very confusing. Mulege is on the Pacific side, we are on the Caribbean. AK is short for Alaska.

For boats entering Belize by water you check in and then when you check out you are charged a fee depending on how many days you have been in the waters of Belize.

I don't know the deal if you trailer in but you can be sure that they will have a way of nabbing you for customs on the way out if you don't have that boat with you. It won't be the value you tell them either it will be the highest price they can find on the Internet.

Thank you for your input, SimonB. I meant to put AC (short for Ambergrise Caye) The phonetic part of my mind must be misfiring. My inflatable is made by Mercury actually, but it is near 16'. Sure Mulege is on the peninsula but I could ferry across to the mainland from La Paz and drive on down.

I wanted the freedom and reduced expense of using my own boat around the caye for a few months but I am shelving that idea. Better to be shown around and get the benefit of the local knowledge. I think that I will instead fly in and experience things without the extra baggage. Then consider bringing my RV and boat/trailer if it makes sense another time.

#404725 - 04/12/11 02:01 PM Re: Infatable into Ambergrise Caye [Re: bobble]
ragman Offline
Quote:
I wanted the freedom and reduced expense of using my own boat around the caye for a few months but I am shelving that idea. Better to be shown around and get the benefit of the local knowledge. I think that I will instead fly in and experience things without the extra baggage. Then consider bringing my RV and boat/trailer if it makes sense another time.
I believe that is the wise choice and probably a lot cheaper when you figure in the costs of shipping, customs, hassles and then maybe not being able to legally use it any way. Have a good stay on AC

#404802 - 04/12/11 11:26 PM Re: Infatable into Ambergrise Caye [Re: ragman]
bobble Offline
Originally Posted By: ragman
Quote:
I believe that is the wise choice and probably a lot cheaper when you figure in the costs of shipping, customs, hassles and then maybe not being able to legally use it any way. Have a good stay on AC

Thanks for your time and interest, Jim. Maybe I'll see you there......Bob S.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
4 registered (Jameela01, Ricklap, Marty, 1 invisible), 33 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,068 Topics
462,330 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.