Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#404764 - 04/12/11 06:35 PM fire retardant for thatch (palm leaves)
samray Offline
Anybody know where I can find this in San Pedro?

#404908 - 04/13/11 04:11 PM Re: fire retardant for thatch (palm leaves) [Re: samray]
Judyann H. Offline
Sorry Samray...It appears no one reading lately knows....However I would like to have the same question answered, simply out of curiosity....Maybe you could check in with belizeonthebeach. He knows a lot about building on the island....Maybe he can help. Good Luck....Maybe you can share the answer when discovered.

Edited by Judyann H. (04/13/11 04:12 PM)

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com

#404934 - 04/13/11 07:46 PM Re: fire retardant for thatch (palm leaves) [Re: samray]
Marty Offline
from a long time San Pedro builder...

Never found such a thing. The market is so small I doubt anything has been developed but who know's not me thats for sure. I would contact Dow or BASF and they would likely know especially BASF would would supply the chemicals to make it. I have always thought it a good idea but never found a product.

#404939 - 04/13/11 07:59 PM Re: fire retardant for thatch (palm leaves) [Re: Marty]
SP Daily Offline
There has been fire retardant chemical for thatch available in Hawaii for over 30 years..required in any public or commercial space.

#404942 - 04/13/11 08:24 PM Re: fire retardant for thatch (palm leaves) [Re: samray]
belizeonthebeach Offline
I have found that, over time, thatch on a palapa on a pier or beachfront, gets so laced with salt that it is almost impossible to ignite.

#404944 - 04/13/11 08:53 PM Re: fire retardant for thatch (palm leaves) [Re: samray]
elbert Offline
:-)

#405057 - 04/14/11 04:49 PM Re: fire retardant for thatch (palm leaves) [Re: samray]
samray Offline
It is available in the states. But was hoping (ha) that it might be available in Belize where everyone has thatch....oh well guess I have to order it online and have it shipped...ugh.

#405058 - 04/14/11 05:07 PM Re: fire retardant for thatch (palm leaves) [Re: samray]
CayeMarie Offline
Benny's used to have it but last time I checked they didn't have any.

#405117 - 04/15/11 03:28 AM Re: fire retardant for thatch (palm leaves) [Re: samray]
Tracker Offline
I have not been able to find any in Belize. I used to work at a property that had a large thatch roof, the owner looked into get some of the fire retardent, but when he found out how much he would need and how often he would have to apply it he never bothered. It's cheaper to get insurance. LOL

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,006 Topics
462,170 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.