Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#405157 - 04/15/11 02:51 PM A Basketball Opportunity, the annual Rose Classic
Marty Online   happy
It's Easter again and the annual Rose Classic Basketball games for youths are underway. It is the 5th anniversary of the two week long basketball tournament which is the brainchild of Belizean American, Cleon Hyde. Today Hyde, stopped by our studios to encourage youngsters- both male and female- to come this Saturday at the Bird's isle where registration will be taking place.

Cleon Hyde
"It kicks off on Monday the 18th at Bird's Isle and registration is Saturday the 16th at 10 am. You can come and sign up, it's for free. This year is going to be dedicated to the Belize Cancer Society. I am working with the Belize Cancer Society team. We also have t-shirts that will be on sale at $10 apiece. $8 of the $10 is going to go to the Belize Cancer Society and the other two dollars is going to be put in to an escrow account and eventually going to be used for kids that in need; maybe their school fees and things like that might need to be paid. I encourage the kids to come out. I am anticipating about 300 kids this year. When I started it was 80 kids, over the years it has grown, last year it was 220 kids that participated. I am anticipated more kids coming out. I think it's something great for the kids. A lot of people might not know but there is so many kids that have cancer in Belize and the cases are not publicly known. I spoke with Ms. Laura Longworth who has been very supportive of my initiative and what I want to do and she is also going to have a few of the kids with cancer out on the open ceremony to come out and let the public be aware that cancer doesn't only affect older people; any age. Kids are born and develop some type of cancer. So this is something that I really want to do and giving back from my heart and I love the kids of Belize. So I just want to see everyone come out and have fun."

"Each child that participates will get full uniforms and there are so many giveaways. I have so much stuff to giveaway for the kids so I am encouraging kids to out; parents to come out and everyone to come out and just have fun."

Registration is on Saturday at 10am at Birds isle and it is free.

Channel 7

#405552 - 04/19/11 02:26 PM Re: A Basketball Opportunity, the annual Rose Classic [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

Rose Classic International Basketball camp at Bird’s Isle

It’s the time of the year for the Rose Classic International Basketball camp. The camp has been taking place for five years at Easter time when the students are away from the classrooms and looking for ways to occupy their time and minds. Since it started, the numbers have been growing and this morning News Five’s Andrea Polanco met an eager group of young basketball players at Bird’s Isle.

Andrea Polanco, Reporting

Over two hundred and seventy children and youth from across the city will be taking part in the fifth year of the Rose Classic International, a two week basketball camp that will keep the participants focused during the Easter Holidays:

Cleon Hyde

Cleon Hyde, Founder & Organizer-Rose Classic International

“Well, what you’re seeing out here today is the fifth anniversary of Rose Classic International. It’s a basketball program geared at kids between the ages of nine to eighteen and what it does it gives them an opportunity between the Easter break when most kids are just at home not doing anything, it gives them an opportunity to come out and show their basketball skills. For the little younger ones that you can see on the court right now, it’s a development process; you know you have coaches teaching them how to play.”

While the objective is to improve their basketball skills, Hyde said that the camp will also help to contribute to overall personal growth and development:

Cleon Hyde

“Everyday what I do is that I have little games that they play and they win prizes, they win t-shirts and hats and so. Also if you’ve noticed them, they have a little drawstring backpack and I have given each of them a little backpack and a notepad because after each event everyday they’re gonna meet with the Anti-Crime Unit, Mr. McKenzie, they’re gonna be coming out everyday and gonna be talking to them so they’re gonna be taking notes and everyday who excels in the classroom will receive an award. What I’ve also done is that I’ve broken up the teams into different kids from different neighborhoods, so it expands their mindsets because they don’t just have to play with people they are familiar with from their neighborhoods. So it might have a kid that lives on the North side, another one that might live in Belama and stuff like that and another kid who’s from Port Loyola. It’s diverse you know when it comes to the kids and the neighbourhoods. What the plan is is to build friendship beyond basketball.”

Although the camp started out small, it has grown into a successful and anticipated event year after year.

Cleon Hyde

“Yes, it has been very successful, umm, like I said when we started out in the year which 2007 we started out and only eighty kids showed up for the first year and after that it grown and as you can see now the stands are full with kids and the courts are full. It has gotten so large that I had to move it from just a high school event and all the way down to kids that are nine years old. I even have a five year old out there but I couldn’t turn him away. He might not score in the game but he’s having fun.”

Kelvin Gongora

And today the children were surely having fun but also learning to improve their game.

Kelvin Gongora, Participant: Rose Classic International

“I nuh know how fi play ball good but I learn how fi play ball and we just lose wah game but we wah get up back we only lose by one point but we could get up back.”

Andrea Polanco

“So what you expect fi learn outta dis game? This entire camp?”

Myra Orosco

Myra Orosco, Participant: Rose Classic International

“To stop travel, cause I like travel.”

Andrea Polanco

“Suh I know unu play wah game dis morning, how you perform eena dah game?”

Glen Gonzales

Glen Gonzales, Participant: Rose Classic International

“Well I perform excellent and that’s it.”

Andrea Polanco

“So how many points you scored?”

Glen Gonzales

“Seven points.”

Tyler Smith

Andrea Polanco

“So you expect fi mek your team win the title ah dis camp?”

Tyler Smith, Participant: Rose Classic International

“I wah win it bad miss, bad, bad, bad.”

Supporting the Rose Classic International, this morning the City Council handed over a four thousand dollars cheque to Cleon Hyde, a contribution that Deputy Mayor Samuels says will go a long way to help the children:

Dean Samuels

Dean Samuels, Deputy Mayor

“It’s a pleasure for us because when it comes to kids we can never give so much. There is always so much more that you can do especially in these times that we are living. Kids coming together from all over the city, they learn sportsmanship I think again what that teaches, I believe it is the building block really with young people to get them from early so that they can learn these skills.”

Reporting for News Five, I am Andrea Polanco.

A born Belizean now living in the U.S.A, Hyde is a basketball aficionado. There is limited space available in the camp so if you’re interested in registering your child you can contact Cleon Hyde everyday at the Bird’s Isle between the hours of eight and twelve a.m.

Channel 5

#405660 - 04/20/11 02:58 PM Re: A Basketball Opportunity, the annual Rose Classic [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

Easter Camps, All In

Last night we showed you a pair of weekend activities that engaged young basketball players and band members.

Tonight, we'll look at two Easter camps, one for basketball and one for soccer. Monica started at the Rose Classic Camp this morning:

Monica Bodden Reporting:

It's the 5th year for the Rose Classic basketball games- and it's being held at the Bird's Isle. The two week long basketball tournament aims at giving youngsters an opportunity to shoot some hoops And stay off the streets. On Saturday - over 200 hundred youths signed up to be a part of the event.

Cleon Hyde, President Rose Classic
"I had over 225 over the weekend, and with the word being spread through the news media, I have over 300 kids. Unfortunately, I don't have enough uniforms for more so now I had to start thinking about what my plan is going to be for next year. I've exceeded my expectation of 300 kids."

The project is the brainchild of Belizean American Cleon Hyde - who has partnered with the Belize City Council to make the event an annual one.

Cleon Hyde
"It's a two-week tournament. We have kids between the ages of 9 and 18 year-old. What I do is just come and give the kids uniforms, and allow them to play and have fun. As everyone knows, I teamed up with the Belize City Council and they have been supportive of what I've been doing. I've even have something set up where the ant-crime and drug group is going to come out and speak to the kids on a daily basis. We also have a breakfast club that starts at 7:30 in the morning, and we give the kids sandwiches and stuff like that - bananas, oranges, and all that stuff. But you know, they just come out in the mornings and exercise and enjoy the two weeks of vacation they have from school."

Glenda Estrada is the MVP of her high school. She says programs like this - not only give her an opportunity to show off her talent- but also to meet new friends.

Glenda Estrada
"I started at like two years ago, because I saw my aunt playing the stuff, and she used to take me to the basketball court. I used to go play for fun, but now I really get to like it because when I play with girls they scratch me and stuff. You always feel pain in the game, but when you play with boy, and you knock one of their balls or you box it out of the air, you get fame and everyone screams for you. So that's why I got to like it."

Monica Bodden
"Now how were you introduced to actually be a part of the Rose Classic Tournament?"

Glenda Estrada
"I was by my mother and this boy, Kevin - he actually - I was playing with them, and he told me that he was here for 2 years straight, and that it would happen again this Easter. I didn't have anything to do so I came."

Cleon Hyde
"This gives them a fresh breath - fresh airs to come out here and interact with other kids, other classmates, and even get the opportunity to meet and know other new people. So far it's been pretty good, and they like it - they look forward to it. I think it's going to be something that going to happen for quite some time."

Monica Bodden
"Is this your first time at the Rose Classic?"

Participant
"Yes Ma'am."

Monica Bodden
Why did you guys actually decided to take part in this basketball event."

Participant
"Because we like to play ball."

Participant
"We like it and it's fun to play."

Participant
"Well, the same thing."

Monica Bodden
"Now you guys play basketball a lot? Is this a sport that you guys enjoy?"

Participant
"Yes Ma'am"

Participant
"Yes Miss"

Monica Bodden
"So will you guys come out every day to be a part of this event?"

Participant
"Yes Miss"

Monica Bodden
"Is it challenging so far? You met any friends?"

Participant
"Yes Miss"

Monica Bodden
"A lot of friends?"

Participant
"Yes Ma'am."

The basketball camp wraps up on April Thirtieth. According to Hyde, this is the biggest turnout he's had so far.

And from that camp in the morning many of the kids go to a football camp in the afternoon.

It's called the Easter Cup and it's an event sponsored by Crime Stoppers. We found out more:

Mike Kora, Board Member Crime Stoppers
"Well the importance of this initiative is to proactive with Crime Stoppers. We like to initiate things that will create positive influence in the community. Part of this is the build character and integrity in the boys. It's a time where Easter break - there's plenty of time on their hands and if we can keep them active in sports activities where they can work hard and learn sportsmanship, integrity, and hard-work."

Kenny Morgan, Coach
"I always that if we don't do something for them today, we'll have to do something to them tomorrow. So it's better that we come out here and spend this time with them, work with them, try to help them to develope into good citizens, learn discipline, sportsmanship, respect for other people. That's what it's all about. We have to talk the US Embassy and Crime Stoppers; we need more events like this. This one is on the Easter Cup, we would like to see something that would stretch out longer and include an under 12 and under-17, where we get more of the young boys involved. Those boys work out everyday from 4:30 to 6:30; they come out religiously and don't miss. They are dedicated, committed and enthusiastic about this. So I say that we have to find the resources and the time that they need to give them the support in the activities."

Jules Vasquez
"You feel that it makes a difference in their everyday lives to have someone - some program actively involved and invested in their development?"

Kenny Morgan
"All these young boys, when you see them talking to their coach or manager, they say, 'Yes sir, no sir, yes ma'am, no ma'am'. The first thing that they start to learn is respect for themselves and other people. That's a big step towards making them well-rounded citizens. They learn discipline that they have to adhere to the rules of the game and the decisions of the official. They learn to make judgements - a whole lot of things the game is teaching them. I am glad for this - I wish this - long time ago I said that I would get involved. No I am involved, and I am not going to stop."

Participant
"So far, the tournament is being good because we just picked our first win."

Participant
"We develop a skill because after the Easter Break, they will call us back to go play the national team."

Jules Vasquez
"Now if you all weren't here doing this, what would you have been doing?"

Participant
"Obviously nothing."

Participant
"They trained us very well because yesterday we were touch the ball between each other and we did very well."

Participant
"At first I didn't know how to play football very well, but I just came to the game and looked around and see them. I then learnt their moves."

Jules Vasquez
"You guys think you'll win the tournament?"

Participant
"We don't know but we'll try our best because we're all winners."

Participant
"I want give a shout-out to slingshots for providing these shirts, our coach, Mr. Javier, for teaching us all the things about football."

Jules Vasquez
"You feel good to beat this team?"

Participant
"Yes sir, We learn discipline."

Jules Vasquez
"What's the best part about being with this team?"

Participant
"We don't give much trouble and they teach respect."

Participant
"They teach you respect and show you that you have do well in school to be on this team."

Jules Vasquez
"If you all weren't out here playing football, what would you be doing?"

Participant
"We wouldn't have been home; we would have been about idling ourselves."

Jules Vasquez
"And you?"

Participant
"It would have been boring to me."

Jules Vasquez
"And you, Sir?"

Participant
"Well me sir, right now I would have been at home playing videogames with my brother learning moves off the football game that we have."

That camp also runs for two weeks.

Channel 7

#406602 - 04/30/11 03:42 PM Re: A Basketball Opportunity, the annual Rose Classic [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

Rose Classic Basketball Camp bounces to a successful 4th quarter

Two-weeks ago more than two hundred and seventy children and youth from across the city flocked the Bird’s Isle for the Rose Classic basketball camp. This year saw largest turn-out and for its fifth year it was a huge success. The camp, which kept the youngsters occupied during the Easter Break closed off today, but not without the recognition of some of the city’s most talented young ballers. Cleon Hyde, Founder and Organizer of the Rose Classic said that this year the competitive spirit was high amongst the youths.

Devin Daly, MVP-High School Division

Devin Daly

“This basically makes me put my head up high and be very proud of myself. During these troublesome times I am just trying to keep myself occupied and keep myself out of trouble that’s basically the reason why I decided to participate and the mere fact that I love basketball.”

Andrea Polanco

“You were named Most Valuable Player, did you expect this?”

Devin Daly

“Well I already knew that my hard work would eventually become my end product yuh know, I definitely didn’t expect it but it’s a good gesture. Definitely, currently am, presently am on the Belize Under Seventeen National team and in the future I’d like to continue playing basketball.”

Andre Vasquez

Andre Vasquez, Scholar Athlete Award

“Well I neva really have nothing fuh duh fuh Easter so I just decide fi come play.”

Andrea Polanco

“So how was the two week experience for you?”

Andre Vasquez

“It was a fun experience and getting to know everybody else.”

Andrea Polanco

“You enjoy playing basketball?”

Tevaun Lennan

Tevaun Lennan, MVP-Biddie Division

“Yes Ma’am.”

Andrea Polanco

“So these past two weeks in the Rose Classic what was it like for you?”

Tevaun Lennan

“Good.”

Andrea Polanco

“Suh you dah wah good basketball player?”

Tevaun Lennan

“Yes ma’am.”

Andrea Polanco

“Wat mek you decide fi be ah part ah dis Rose Classic?”

Tevaun Lennan

“I neva play een it last year dats why I come fi come play eena it dis year.”

Cleon Hyde

Cleon Hyde, Founder & Organizer: Rose Classic

“One of the main, yuh nuh the highlight was the amount of the kids that participated this year was much more than I anticipated. It was yuh nuh, the word of mouth got out and so the kids were very in tuned, they ready for it they heard about it from friends who participated years ago. It was fun. We started a new division which was the 9-11 years old, that was fun to see the little guys running up and the down the court, umm they were excited, you see the little crying when they lost.”

So what’s next for Rose Classic 2012? Well, Hyde said the youth can expect more. He will go back to the drawing board and devise a plan to accommodate more participants next year.

Channel 5

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
4 registered (Marty, wiley, 2 invisible), 43 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,043 Topics
462,256 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.