Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
howardv Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Is there a need for university trained maths teachers in Belize? I won't need a work permit, so that is not an issue (will get CARICOM Certificate of Recognition). I am expecting to take an early retirement from teaching in Canada and move to Belize - to either farm or teach... but if the country doesn't need qualified teachers (I have a BMath degree and MSc in Education) then I will just farm.

S
S
I assume that even though you live in Canada you hold a CARICOM passport?

M
M
There is a need for qualified teachers at all levels. You might not like the pay however.

H
howardv Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Yes. I have a CARICOM passport. Dual nationality.

H
howardv Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Well i will have some retirement income coming in from Canada, and we live pretty simply... so the pay isn't that important. Thanks though.

C
C
From April 9th when you said you would get a caricom Passport to a week later when you said you had one, boy..it takes several years , usually 5...and several steps to acquire a caricom passport..how did you manage it.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
S
S
There is a difference between a Cert and a passport. If you have a CARICOM passport you can get the Cert, if you don't you can't.

C
C
OK..understand, just read to fast..I actually had never heard of a certificate, but if a trained professional as in Doctor or teacher wants to come to Belize to work sounds like a better plan than having to get work permits etc..

H
howardv Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Sorry... I should be more accurate. A Jamaican passport is a CARICOM passport. My Jamaican passport is currently expired, but I am in the process of getting a new one... and it won't take 5 years - shouldn't be more than a few months at most. But I will have to apply for the certificate when I arrive in Belize.

C
C
No a Jamaican passport is not a Caricom passport unless you are of a specific trade.A Jamacian and caricom passport are two very different looking pieces of identification. Teachers are of the accepted trade as are artist.However you have to apply for the caricom outside of your Jamaican or Belize passport. Please dont assume anything regarding the Belize government. Current laws here specify you be a Belize legal resident for 5 years before you can get a Caricom passport. Yours being expired may cause some issues or may not, may be easier to try to renew your Jamaican Caricom which would allow you to work here. I have several friends with residency here for over 10 yrs that have had their applications in for several years and cant seem to get approval.
Loving our motto..GO SLOW...can be sweet or drive you nuts...

Last edited by Cooper; 04/15/11 11:38 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 271 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.